Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early Scan showing smaller than expected foetus

(10 Posts)
user1495214160 Fri 19-May-17 18:28:20

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post on mumsnet.
I've just discovered that I'm pregnant (first time) and according to due date calcs around 7 weeks.
Just been in for an early scan, there is a strong heartbeat but baby is measuring smaller than expected at this stage. I think I am about a week and couple of days behind. Nurse said there is nothing to worry about as it's very early days but has called me back for another scan in 2 weeks when the baby will be bigger and more likely that they will be able to see it properly - Also hoping that it would have grown.
Honestly, I'm very anxious right now and wondering if everything is okay. I wasn't completely reassured during the scan and had a feeling like there was more to worry about than the nurse led on.
Anyone else been in the same situation, if you could share your views on how it went from here it would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

Jessiecat27 Fri 19-May-17 19:09:16

Congratulations! I had a scan at 8 weeks and she thought I was more like 6/7! I'm now 14/15, I think it depends on the way baby is lying really so I'd say you have nothing to worry about! (I know it's hard though)

Thingymaboob Fri 19-May-17 20:06:19

I went for 6 + 1 week scan yesterday and she took 2 measurements- one which said 5+5 and another which said 5+6. She said it's not that accurate in very early stages!

user1495214160 Fri 19-May-17 21:57:05

Ahh, thanks ladies smile

I've also been reading other posts on here and other websites and most of them say it's too early to worry. I'll try my best not to think about it all too much till my next scan in 2 weeks

Bue Sat 20-May-17 05:35:10

At both my early scans there was a heartbeat but I was measuring behind. About 6 days behind at the first one and 8/9 days at the second one, which really caused me to worry. At my 12 week scan however the pregnancy was dated within one day of conception (I knew the date). Try to forget about it!

fuzzywuzzy Sat 20-May-17 05:51:27

I don't think scans are that accurate, I know when I ovulated and what my lmp date was for sure and my early scan put me a week ahead (which totally is not possible).

Measurements are always going to very slightly in everyone.

If everything else is fine try not to worry. And congratulations on your pregnancy.

PetalMettle Sat 20-May-17 05:58:33

It's really difficult to get exact managements at this stage. Try not to worry

DrewOB0 Sat 20-May-17 05:59:17

At what we thought was 8 weeks, it measured 10 days behind ( with a heartbeat). At 12 weeks, 5 days behind. Now measuring big compared to EDD. Good luck!

BubbleAndSquark Sat 20-May-17 06:15:13

My 12 week scan I thought I was exactly 12 weeks by LMP date, scan measured 10+5, scan 2 weeks later measured it as 3 days bigger, so 6 days smaller than LMP. All seems fine 😊 I presumably just ovulated late that month for some reason, or baby took longer than some to implant, or both.

mummabubs Sat 20-May-17 07:44:54

I had an early scan due to bleeding at what according to my dates should have been 7+3, however the early scan put me at 6+2, but like you they could see a heartbeat so that reassured me slightly. I'm now 20 weeks today and there is 100% a moving bubba in there so if they've seen a heartbeat at this stage I'd take that as the best sign that everything's ok and the original date was just a bit off. 😊 x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now