Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan - how low do they go?

(26 Posts)
JustAnotherYellowBelly Fri 19-May-17 18:18:01

Sorry, really embarrassing post but I've got an early scan booked for tomorrow.

I've also got a lady garden that comes up quite high blush

So my question is, how low do they go? Should I go on a shaving binge tonight (will the sonographer notice all the bumps??)? Or do you think I'll be safe?

I'm 8 weeks by the way so think it will probably be an external scan?

(Not a troll, naice ham, can draw a parking diagram etc!)

Morewashingtodo Fri 19-May-17 18:20:02

Yes, it will be an internal scan at 8 weeks.

Oysterbabe Fri 19-May-17 18:20:21

Don't worry about it. I'm sure they'll cope if they see a few pubes.

RoganJosh Fri 19-May-17 18:21:03

Mine was external, above my knicker line, just at 7 weeks.

RoganJosh Fri 19-May-17 18:21:35

I mean 'above my knicker line, just, at seven weeks'.

Morewashingtodo Fri 19-May-17 18:22:29

Sorry - misread your message. At 8 weeks, it will probably be an internal scan. I had internals at 8 and 10 weeks. Have they asked you to come with a full bladder? If not, it will be internal.

JustAnotherYellowBelly Fri 19-May-17 18:23:15

oysterbabe I wish it were a few blush

General consensus is to be prepared for both? And break out the nail scissors...

Polly99 Fri 19-May-17 18:24:15

I've always had internal scans before about 10 weeks. I have a tilted uterus and I think they don't see much otherwise.
OP, the sonographer does internal scans every day. They've seen pubes before of all varieties. They won't even notice yours.

Chrisinthemorning Fri 19-May-17 18:25:36

They will start external and see if they can see what they need. If they can't they will send you for a wee and do internal
Had more scans than I can count
Good luck!

JustAnotherYellowBelly Fri 19-May-17 18:27:48

Thank you all for all your help smile

It does say a full bladder.

I don't mind which scan, as long as they can see what they need to and my pubes don't get in the way. It's just to see if the baby is healthy after all

KellyMarieTunstall2 Fri 19-May-17 18:35:26

At 8 weeks it will be an abdominal us, and unless you're carpeted up to your belly button, you'll be fine smile

AnUtterIdiot Fri 19-May-17 18:48:48

At 8 weeks they tried external first for me but it's not unusual for it not to work (also I am a bit fat and did not have a full bladder - do follow the advice on full bladder!).

Be proud of your pubes, OP, it's just hair and virtually all humans are hairy to some degree.

10storeylovesong Fri 19-May-17 21:50:54

I had an early private scan at 7 weeks which was external and an early NHS scan at 10 weeks which was internal. All scans at the EPU at our hospital are internal as more accurate at that stage.

Fattycowagain Fri 19-May-17 22:09:06

Hair won't interfere with what they can see, so don't worry.

CreamCheez Fri 19-May-17 22:12:47

Nothing they haven't seen before!

Last time I got back from hospital, i realised how outta control my bush was. Those poor doctors... Have a go with the nail scissors, if it makes you feel better!

ImNotReallyReal Fri 19-May-17 22:28:15

I always had a tidy up. It's like having guests round grin

blue2014 Fri 19-May-17 22:39:51

I had one at 7w4d, it was external and I haven't shaved my bush in about 10 years. You'll be fine!

Mumoftheark Sat 20-May-17 03:54:28

😂😂 @ImNotReallyReal having guests round brilliant! You've made me smile, wasn't sure that was possible at 4am when you've been awake since 1.30 with "morning" sickness thank you.

I have a scan in the morning too, wanted to shave tonight but thought I'd vomit in the bath. Will be doing it when I get up just encase it's an internal. I feel better clean shaven but it's your call. The sonographer won't care

mummabubs Sat 20-May-17 07:55:39

You might get away with external- I had an external scan which picked bubba up straight away when I was only 6+2 (but thought I was 7+3). That was within NHS EPU so I guess maybe it depends on the machine they use at your local hospital? Have to admit I was fully expecting an internal but was equally relived that they didn't need to wander further down... I had similar presentation to you OP but in under the circumstances of needing the scan due to bleeding I was so distracted I didn't even think of lady garden until I got to the hospital! 😂

FlipperSkipper Sat 20-May-17 07:58:04

Full bladder means they'll at least start off external. You need an empty bladder for an internal scan.

DawnOfTheMombie Sat 20-May-17 08:00:19

I had an external scan at 6 weeks 3 days. Nowhere near my pubes.

dangle90 Sat 20-May-17 09:04:21

This thread has cracked my up 😂 don't forget your legs, if it is internal there's nothing worse than looking down and seeing your hairy legs just dangling there too 😂 (never had a scan myself, just taken me back to my smear test though 😂)

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 20-May-17 20:34:05

Thank you all smile

It went great - it ended up being an external and it was all fine - they don't go as low as I thought!

Thank you all so much smile

mummabubs Sat 20-May-17 20:44:42

Phew! Happy for you and your lady garden OP! 😂 xx

Oysterbabe Sat 20-May-17 20:48:13

The pubes live to fight another day. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now