Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried about exposure to newborn calf

(8 Posts)
ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Thu 18-May-17 17:51:19

Am 39+4 with dc2. Have been avoiding farms during pregnancy re. lambing, but today went to a cafe that has a farm attached. Knew they didn't have sheep so thought all was fine. Anyway, turned a corner at one point to see that a cow had quite literally just given birth, the calf and afterbirth were right there. Since googling at home it looks as though the government recommends pregnant women stay away from all newborn farm animals, not just sheep, and so I'm starting to flap a bit.

I know if I start to feel unwell/get a fever I need to call someone but I'm not sure what infections the baby and me are actually potentially at risk from. And that the government says the risk is 'extremely small' but again I can't find any sort of figure that quantifies that.

Can anyone help with info? I tend to get anxious so this is really playing on my mind sad

AnUtterIdiot Thu 18-May-17 17:59:52

It has to be close contact.

www.gov.uk/government/news/pregnant-women-advised-to-avoid-animals-that-are-giving-birth--2

If you didn't actually birth the cow yourself or snuggle up to it afterwards or roll all over the farmer's boots, I'm sure you'll be fine grin

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Thu 18-May-17 18:02:22

Thanks anutter. I can confirm no snuggling took place was more horrified at afterbirth and thinking about giving birth soon

MonkeyBusinessxoxo Thu 18-May-17 18:08:08

You didn't touch the calf and it's pregnant animals that's the problem due to a bacteria they produce that can harm you and baby. The cow was very much not pregnant and you didn't touch it so all is well smile

FrostyPopThePenguinLord Thu 18-May-17 18:46:39

I work full time with all types of cows and I'm 6 weeks pregnant, I was told just to be careful and wash my hands regularly, they are more dangerous because of their size etc not really for the same reasons sheep are.
Just think, dairy farmers wives (or they might be the farmer themselves) have been caring for and occasionally hand rearing calves etc since the dawn of farming.
Good luck x

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Thu 18-May-17 18:50:41

Thank you everyone flowers

DuRezidal Fri 19-May-17 06:33:52

I deliver newborn foals all the time as I own a stud, I've never been told to stay away (which would be impossible anyway). I handle the placenta as it is very in

DuRezidal Fri 19-May-17 06:34:42

I deliver newborn foals all the time as I own a stud, I've never been told to stay away (which would be impossible anyway). I handle the placenta as it is very important that it is fully checked to ensure there are no remaining pieces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now