Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

At what point do babies stop flipping around?

(9 Posts)
vfoster Thu 18-May-17 16:56:23

Hi everyone! I'm 31+4 and had a growth scan today. Baby is footling breech and looking to be around 4 1/2 lbs (my first was 10lb 10oz, so looking at another big baby!)
everything looked great but I was just curious about the breech position.
I am in no way worried as I'm probably having an elective section anyway just curious about:
- at what point do HCPs intervene if baby is still breech?
- what does it feel like when the baby turns when it's this big? Will I feel it?
- what kind of interventions are offered?
I should have asked today but was just happy to see the baby and didn't think! Again, not worried just curious about how breech works smile

arbrighton Thu 18-May-17 18:03:15

I'm pretty sure I felt bean turning between my 24 and 28 week growth scans. It feels like a big stretchy roll across the whole bump, and you'd probably see movement across it! So at this point you definitely will, there isn't much space in there! Fortunately mine has stayed head down by the next growth scan yesterday. It's uncomfortable enough when they move now, never mind a full somersault!

A lady on a thread on MSE that I follow had a successful ecv around 38 weeks (they basically try to turn the baby from outside through bump). By all accounts that is pretty brutal and leaves you pretty sore. Given you're probably having a CS anyway, they probably wouldn't offer that to you.

badgersnotincluded Thu 18-May-17 19:10:44

I spoke to to a midwife about this on Monday as my baby has turned and is now breech. She said at 35-36 weeks they expect to see the baby head down. It's not unheard of to have it happen later.

I'm hoping mine turns soon as I'm not really enjoying the kicks to the bladder and (what feels like) my rectum confused

Frizziee Thu 18-May-17 19:20:13

I was booked in for ECV at 36w but at my appt they discovered he had turned by himself, and I hadn't noticed! I felt nothing unusual but I suppose it could have happened while I slept. Now fingers crossed he stays put!

Frizziee Thu 18-May-17 19:25:41

I didn't actually answer your question... so he flipped at some point between 34-36weeks, and he's a big boy too!

vfoster Thu 18-May-17 19:40:05

Thank you so much for your responses!
I'd imagined that flipping at this stage would be quite uncomfortable as the baby is so big but it was cephalic at my scan 3 weeks ago so I was so surprised! Glad to know it's not just me who didn't know!
I imagine a c section is pretty much the same with a breech baby?
Oh my goodness the kicks down there are so uncomfortable! I've had some to the cervix that feel like it's tunnelling out!

NotTheBelleoftheBall Thu 18-May-17 20:08:48

DD was breech until at least 36 weeks, she turned between then and birth. I had decided not to have her 'turned' if she didn't do it herself.

She then span during the birth (24 hours in) into back-to-back (resulting in EMCS) if the baby isn't in a nice birthable position - I'd push for ELCS rather than any other intervention and to avoid EMCS (and the physical trauma that the emergency nature of it can entail).

Bear2014 Thu 18-May-17 20:18:10

My DD was oblique transverse from 33 weeks. They were optimistic that she would move but she already felt so huge i knew she wouldn't. My gut instinct was right. They scanned at 36 weeks to make sure, booked my CS date and then scanned again at 38 weeks. Because of the risk of cord prolapse in this position I had to stay in hospital from 38 weeks until delivery at 39+4. She was 9.5lb and turned out was very tangled in her cord.

Bear2014 Thu 18-May-17 20:19:23

*32 weejs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now