Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Restless Leg Syndrome

(12 Posts)
Rodent01 Thu 18-May-17 11:52:27

Anybody got any tried and successful remedies for this?

Am nearly 30 weeks and its getting me down - I have it most nights in both arms and legs and just want to rip my limbs off!! Didn't get to sleep till gone 1.30am last night and woken at 6.03 by baby having a party in my nether regions.

Thanks

RebeccaNoodles Thu 18-May-17 12:01:53

I have this and it is the. Absolute. Worst!!!

I have tried exercise, massage, magnesium spray and magnesium and iron supplements - for me the only thing that works is a hot bath every night (not too hot so as not to cook the baby grin) I'm 35 weeks - had it since about 30 weeks too. I think it might be getting bit better but not sure.

Everyone's different so might be worth you trying the above. I had a friend who swore by massage. It is awful though, sympathies and brew for you.

Maverick66 Thu 18-May-17 12:01:53

If you drink a glass of tonic water with quinine in it eases symptoms.
2 Paracetemol will also ease it. However, as you are pregnant you would be best to seek medical advice on these two options.
An 'old wife'tale is to place a bar of soap under your sheet at the foot of your bed my neice did this whilst she was pregnant and it worked for her. Good luck.

EpoxyResin Thu 18-May-17 12:57:07

You need a source of magnesium and potassium salts; I recommend LUCOZADE SPORT.

Honestly, saved my life last pregnancy, I expect I'll need it again this time. Buy a multipack and take a bottle to bed with you, then sip on it when the cramps come. It works for the same reason that it stops athletes getting cramp. Dehydration depletes not only your fluids but also your salt levels, and it's the imbalance of the two that causes cramps. Lucozade sport (or other isotonic sports drinks - specifically isotonic drinks) will help replace lost salts and rebalance your levels.

EpoxyResin Thu 18-May-17 12:58:18

I sounded pretty bossy there didn't I - sorry! Works for me though; hope you find something that eases it for you too smile

Rodent01 Thu 18-May-17 13:23:05

Thanks all - am seriously ready to try anything - will give these a go from the top - already still cycle 10K a day so exercise isn't helping, my oncologist had suggested magnesium, but told me to check with MW first who I don't see for another 4 weeks now.

Had it really bad during chemo 3 years ago, but for some reason not with DD1 4 years ago. It is indeed driving me NUTS!!

Happy sleeping to you all!!

Kalina1 Thu 18-May-17 13:46:50

Spraying with magnesium oil usually helps. It stings a bit but not too bad, you can get it from places like H&B or online.

Frizziee Thu 18-May-17 14:39:07

I find that drinking loads of water helps immensely. Tonic water should help too but it's just not the same without the gin gin

purplecoathanger Thu 18-May-17 14:40:47

Another vote for magnesium, either tablets or spray.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Thu 18-May-17 15:42:21

Posted this on a thread last week:Took me 40 weeks first pregnancy to figure out the magic formula but have been using it from day 1 this time and a million times better! Before bed: shower cold water then hot then cold again on your legs. Massage them especially calves with aloe jelly (bought mine from the supermarket for 3 quid) and do a few leg stretches sat on your bed e.g. ballet point and flex toes, stretch as far as you can towards touching your toes. Hope it helps!

khaleesitakesthethrone Thu 18-May-17 16:17:00

I'm 32 weeks and have been suffering with this since 20 weeks. I have found a warm bath and magnesium spray after does ease it slightly, but I'm still to find the magic cure!

It's been the worst for me, I hope you find some relief xxx

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 18-May-17 17:41:15

Having a banana at bedtime worked for me, I have also heard that the bar of soap thing works for some people despite being just an old wives tale. Proper soap like imperial leather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now