Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In Shock -39 and unexpected pregnancy

(15 Posts)
user1495018781 Wed 17-May-17 12:29:06

Hi all,

Tested last night as period was late (not normally late) and got BFP. Completely in shock as on the pill and we weren't trying. Only tested to rule it out really.

Not sure how I should be feeling. Am still a bit dazed by it all. OH was with me when did the test late last night and went away early for work this morning and won't be back til tomorrow so we haven't really had a chance to talk about it. Feels a bit surreal to be honest.

I'm worried about impact of my age etc.

Anyone else gone through similar?

Thanks in advance.

Xx

flapjackfairy Wed 17-May-17 12:32:41

Oh i think that is v exciting!
But how do you feel? Have you got any kids now?
Personally i wouldnt give a thought to your age. I had a surprise 3rd at 36 but am now in my early 50s and have an adopted 3 yr old so you are certainly not too old! X

StaryEyes1978 Wed 17-May-17 12:53:14

This will be my first. 😊Think it was the dr's receptionist asking me which hospital I wanted to use, when I rang to book an appointment, that made it all very real. Tried with a previous partner 10 years ago and didn't conceive so after that assumed I couldn't.

Never thought about trying again after that.

OH has never been bothered about kids (he's only 31) so it just wasn't an issue.

I can't get my head around that it has happened whilst I was on the pill.

flapjackfairy Wed 17-May-17 15:07:00

I think even when you are trying and get pregnant and then give birth after 9 months it is still a bit unreal!
It is normal to find it surreal tbh .
It is lovely news congratulations to you both x

TwitterQueen1 Wed 17-May-17 15:08:56

39 is not an issue!
Best wishes to you.

MiniMaxi Wed 17-May-17 15:16:56

Don't stress about being 39! Half my antenatal class were 40 or thereabouts and all coping admirably smile. Congratulations brew

StaryEyes1978 Wed 17-May-17 15:23:37

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the kind words.

Now that I have had a chance to think about it a bit feeling a bit less overawed by it all. Kinda starting to realise that I am going to be a Mummy. 😊xx

MaryShelley1818 Wed 17-May-17 15:32:11

I'm 39 and 9wks pregnant with my first! I don't feel too old at all although there's obviously concerns and we're paying for all the private NIPT tests to be sure.
I just feel so grateful x

goldenrachita Wed 17-May-17 15:44:43

I don't know what your circumstances are- do you have children/did you want any (or more)/ does your partner want any (or more)/ can you afford it/does it fit in with your life at the moment/ are you in good relationship? But all of those things are very important. Your age seriously isn't. I'm 41 and (heavily) pregnant with my first. Conceived fairly easily, an uneventful active pregnancy, baby is healthy and strong, all scans have been perfect, wasn't even the oldest in my birth class, nothing negative to say whatsoever. And we're trying for another one this year! 39 sounds young to me TBH. Medical opinion seems to agree because at my hospital you wouldn't even get assigned a hospital consultant (not unless you're over 40). Look at the other factors in your life, not your age. Good luck!

Badgerbird Wed 17-May-17 18:31:13

Congratulations!! I'm about to pop out my first at 39 (40 in Oct). No one at any of my appointments has mentioned my age and I've had a fairly straight forward active pregnancy. I think it helps that I'm an active person.
Good luck and enjoy! smile

blue2014 Wed 17-May-17 18:35:55

39 is really average around here OP. I'm the youngest in one of the baby groups and I'm 38! You'll be fine smile

StaryEyes1978 Wed 17-May-17 19:09:01

Thanks everyone. Suppose it's first time mummy worries. smile

blue2014 Wed 17-May-17 21:18:27

Congrats smile

angelinheaven Thu 18-May-17 10:10:43

Hi 39 here as well and expecting my 6 th. Don't think about your age, as long as your happy then age really isn't important. Congratulations and relax and enjoy xx

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Thu 18-May-17 17:55:15

I had my first at 39 and at 42 am expecting my third. Us old girls have still got it in us. Joke, 39 is no age it is most certainly not a problem. If you decide to go ahead with the pregnancy, just enjoy this wonderful surprise and all the joy the next few months will hopefully pass and bring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now