Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Obstetric Cholestasis

(3 Posts)
hopingforabfp Wed 17-May-17 10:12:35

Hi, did anyone have obstetric cholestasis before? I had it in my first pregnancy and only found out at 38 weeks. Had itching since 35 weeks but my HV said it was normal so didn't think of it. I was induced at 39+2 weeks and DD came at 39+5 weeks with an emergency casearean due to failed induction. I am currently trying for #2 and was wondering if OC happens in subsequent pregnancies or if it's just a one time thing? Would I have to be induced again? as I absolutely hated that and had a terrible time which resulted in a csection anyway! Or would they not give me an induction due to my scar? I want 4 children all together but I'm worried because I can't have 4 csections obviously x

EdgarAllenPoe Wed 17-May-17 10:26:36

I never quite had fully fledged OC, but the rash from hell meant I kept getting tested. My liver salts bile levels (whatever you call them) kept going up but never quite to the point of requiring action. I can certainly sympathise though, the itching was horrendous.

I ended up getting induced and an emcs for another reason in the end. I've been told a recurrence of the rash is more likely than if I'd never had it, but not inevitable. I'll probably have an elcs because like you, I cannot face going through all that long labour and monitoring just to end in surgery, plus my history makes me not a great candidate for VBAC.

Induction is higher risk for previous CS due to scar rupture, but I've known it happen. That being said, you might not need to be induced at all, the OC may not develop.

Finally, I'm happy having a repeat cs since I only plan on having 2 children anyway (pregnant with no 2 currently). The risks do go up the more you have, but plenty of women have had 4 cs and been fine. You could have 4 cs if need be.

hopingforabfp Wed 17-May-17 10:30:06

Thank you! Really? I thought the cut off point for cs was 3 children x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now