Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Child benefit / tax credits

(10 Posts)
MissBax Tue 16-May-17 22:28:45

I was just wondering when I should apply - before EDD and then send confirmation when baby arrives, or not bother with anything till after?
Also, can anyone tell me the difference between child tax credits and working tax credits? Do you apply for both or OOTO?

NennyNooNoo Tue 16-May-17 22:34:30

After the baby arrives. They will backdate it for a certain period of time (3 months?)

Heratnumber7 Tue 16-May-17 22:36:44

You can't apply for child benefit for a child that doesn't yet exist.

NennyNooNoo Tue 16-May-17 22:37:36

With the CTC and the WTC, I think it's the same form you fill in for both and then they decide which you're eligible for. You have to be on quite a low income to get WTC, but I don't know how much. Whereas some people get CTC but not WTC.

MissBax Tue 16-May-17 22:38:37

Herat thanks for that enlightening, if not semi condescending, piece of information 😉 I just wasn't sure whether you were meant to inform them of impending arrival or not. I wasn't suggesting I can actually claim anything until after baby arrives.
Thanks Nenny smile

arbrighton Tue 16-May-17 22:42:01

@missbax

The information re when to apply for child benefit is clearly stated on the form, which is easy to download on the internet. Or just google 'when should I apply for child benefit'

Any condescending response is because it's actually really easy to find it out yourself. LMGTFY etc....

arbrighton Tue 16-May-17 22:42:38

www.google.co.uk/search?q=when+should+i+apply+for+child+benefit&oq=when+should+I+apply+for+ch&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.8076j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

MissBax Tue 16-May-17 22:48:33

Alllllriiiightyyyyythennnnnnn

AmyG87 Wed 17-May-17 07:32:11

I've printed the forms that I believe I am eligible for & completed as much as possible. Then I will finish the form once the baby is here.

Saves a bit of time then x

Rikalaily Wed 17-May-17 08:25:14

You can't apply for child benefit until the baby is registered. Then you can apply for both, tax credits check with child benefit to confirm before they award your TC's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now