Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Should we buy now or wait until after the baby is born?(12 Posts)
I've just found out that I'm pregnant and very excited - still early days though so trying not get too obsessed already!
At the moment my boyfriend and I are renting, but we're in the lucky position that we both own properties from before we got together - he owns a flat and I own a house with a friend.
When we moved into this rental place it was with the idea of seeing if we liked the area and would want to settle here. We've been here 4 months and really like it.
Now I'm pregnant I'm quite keen to start the process of trying to buy somewhere - selling our places and then looking for somewhere ourselves. We've got 9 months and the sale of at least one of our places will be very straightforward, as my friend's parents have said for a long time they'd be happy to buy me out. So, I feel like we have a good amount of time.
The issue is that whilst I instinctively feel like I'd much rather be in our own place when the baby comes, my partner is very cautious and likes to do one thing at a time, so although prior to me getting pregnant we were talking about starting to look for somewhere to buy, I think the idea of it now makes him a bit panicked.
What do you all think? How much of a difference does it make to be in your own place? Will it be more stressful trying to buy somewhere now or after the baby is born?
Hi EJ , I'm not speaking from experience here as I'm only 14 weeks with baby number 1. However, if I was in your position I think I would like to try to buy before the baby comes. I'm quite a "get on with it" type of person anyway, but having bought and sold a couple of times I think it would be much more difficult with a new baby around. I also know a few people who have moved house whilst heavily pregnant and they coped just fine.
Well OP having brought and broken up with someone and having to go down the legal route... it makes no difference.
If you both go 50/50 and have your mortgage stipulated as such then if you break up and refuse to leave then a court will 99% of the time not force the sale if a mother and child live in there.
If you and your child move out then it will be a long and costly process for you to force the sale of the house.
Personally I would do it and push that its an investment for the child. So even if you do break up both of you are of the understanding that the house is for the benefit of your child and should only be sold if it absolutely has to I.E. someone is going to be homeless.
Sorry this might not make any sense with baby brain and stuff getting involved!
Well you can't make him do it....
But if you were thinking about it anyway, the rather definite deadline/ event does put things into perspective and give you a push.
Not that we're remotely going to get our to do list completed before our bean comes (7 weeks to EDD)
We waited to buy until after my first was born but it made sense financially at the time for us. Selling and buying can be quite lengthy. Are you sure you'd have enough time? If not, waiting isn't the end of the world. 6 months to a year won't make a huge difference in the long run and if you decide to wait you will have one less thing to worry about during pregnancy.
Not sure what confusedat23 is referring to... I don't think you mentioned splitting up and you already have an investment in your house as does your boyfriend in his flat so no pressure there. Sounds like you're in a good position whatever you decide
Probably best to think your priorities through then have a good chat with the boyfriend so he knows what is important to you.
Good luck! Xx
I would try to sell and buy before you have your little one. We did this and although things went a little wrong (first buyer pulled out) and we only ended up completing and moving just before she arrived I couldn't imagine doing it now she is here.
I would 100% try to buy before baby if it's possible in the time frame.
Maryann I provided the information to OP based on what she said about her Partner being panicked... no one intends on splitting up but if thats what her partner is worried about she now has more information.
She has not stated he is only worried about buying a house due to timeframe just that he is panicked it is all happening at once. I would imagine at least a small amount of the worry he has is due to the possible loss of previous investment he had in his old flat when he sells it to buy with OP.
I am sure OP will be happy to tell me if I am speaking out of turn with that advise
We wanted to move before ds2 arrived and managed it with 3 days to spare before he made his appearance. Moving at 39 weeks pregnant and unpacking after a c section with a newborn was hideous.
Maybe set a time limit if you haven't found somewhere before baby is due - I really would not recommend what we did!
I was in a similar position before DS was born and decided to move before he arrived. The main reason was for the mortgage as I new my pay would drop when I was on mat leave and once I go back I'll have childcare to pay for which will effect the affordability check. (Possibly not an issue for you if you have enough equity in current properties?)
Also getting anything done with a baby is difficult and moving house is stressful enough already so both at the same time must be absolute hell.
Thanks so much everyone for your comments! Really helpful.
And @confusedat23 no worries! Obviously you're right no-one intends splitting up, and I honestly am not worried about that for us, but it's good to see it from that perspective too.
This is really good advice, thanks @ChristmasAccountant! A time limit makes loads of sense to me.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.