Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low dose aspirin - when should I stop taking it?

(12 Posts)
Obsidian Mon 15-May-17 22:19:57

Following some reading, plus advice from lovely ladies on here, I decided to try taking low dose aspirin daily in the hope it might help to prevent a 3rd miscarriage. I don't know whether it had any effect, but I'm currently 10+3 and things seem to be going okay. Although I'm still a nervous wreck. I have my '12 week' scan on Friday (will be 11 weeks). I had an early reassurance scan at 7+5 and saw a heartbeat / everything was measuring as it should, if that makes any difference.

So, my question is, does anyone know if I can now stop taking the aspirin? E.g. if it was going to do anything, would it have done it by now? I asked my doctor, but she didn't seem to know much about it and just said it was my decision. Anyone had any (helpful) medical advice on this?

I want to stop, but am worried that if I do, it could all go wrong again.

Thanks!

HawkeyeInConfusion Mon 15-May-17 22:26:58

I think I took it almost to the end. Certainly well into the third trimester. But I was told to take it by my consultant.

haveacupoftea Tue 16-May-17 04:52:20

I have to take it up to delivery but again I was prescribed it by a consultant. Will you be consultant led OP? You could always ask them at your 14 week appointment.

calimommy Tue 16-May-17 05:01:37

I was px aspirin by my consultant and told to stop taking it 2-3 weeks before edd. In the end baby was born early so I think I had only just stopped taking it if at all. It's a low dose anyway. I'm not taking it this time.

GwendolynMary Tue 16-May-17 05:34:06

I went through to around 28wks, gradually reducing the dose - every second day, then every third, etc. I am prone to PPH so I wanted to have it out of my system well before the birth.

Good luck with your pregnancy flowers

Topsyloulou Tue 16-May-17 06:07:07

I was told to take it by my GP. At booking in the midwife told me i will need to take it all the way through to EDD. Probably worth checking with your midwife at your next appointment.

P1nkSparkles Tue 16-May-17 06:21:02

I got properly lectured (while in labour) because my consultant forgot to tell me to stop taking it at 36 weeks - so I would check with your midwife as apparently it can make post-partum bleeding worse.

Obsidian Tue 16-May-17 18:43:34

Thanks all for sharing your experiences, and the good wishes. I guess I'll ask at my scan appointment on Friday, if I get to see a doctor or midwife. I'd rather not be taking anything if I don't need to, but just SO anxious about having another MC.

Any other thoughts on this welcome! Ta flowers

Obsidian Tue 16-May-17 18:46:37

Meant to say, not Consultant-led - although this was discussed at one point (my first MC was PUL, suspected ectopic) - and my GP seemed to know very little about taking aspirin. She did say it probably wouldn't do any harm though, which was sort of reassuring!

GwendolynMary Tue 16-May-17 21:00:57

Definitely ask. But my midwives were happy for me to continue taking it, as in Australia, it is given as a pre-caution for women at risk of pre-eclampsia. Personally, I felt aspirin was the reason I managed to conceive/keep DD, so I wanted to keep taking it until nearer to viability, IYKWIM? 28wks was a good balance between that concern and the haemorrhage one. But I'm also good at overthinking things!!

Tortycat Tue 16-May-17 21:04:14

I was told to take it til day before elcs so no problems with that (though i have blood clotting issues)

jinglebellmel Wed 17-May-17 09:08:04

Hi I'm taking it at the moment for the same reasons as you, consultant told me to stop at 36 weeks. Mention it to your midwife if you've not already, I think they like to have it in your notes incase you go into early labour and your blood is still a little thin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now