Following some reading, plus advice from lovely ladies on here, I decided to try taking low dose aspirin daily in the hope it might help to prevent a 3rd miscarriage. I don't know whether it had any effect, but I'm currently 10+3 and things seem to be going okay. Although I'm still a nervous wreck. I have my '12 week' scan on Friday (will be 11 weeks). I had an early reassurance scan at 7+5 and saw a heartbeat / everything was measuring as it should, if that makes any difference.
So, my question is, does anyone know if I can now stop taking the aspirin? E.g. if it was going to do anything, would it have done it by now? I asked my doctor, but she didn't seem to know much about it and just said it was my decision. Anyone had any (helpful) medical advice on this?
I want to stop, but am worried that if I do, it could all go wrong again.
I was px aspirin by my consultant and told to stop taking it 2-3 weeks before edd. In the end baby was born early so I think I had only just stopped taking it if at all. It's a low dose anyway. I'm not taking it this time.
I got properly lectured (while in labour) because my consultant forgot to tell me to stop taking it at 36 weeks - so I would check with your midwife as apparently it can make post-partum bleeding worse.
Thanks all for sharing your experiences, and the good wishes. I guess I'll ask at my scan appointment on Friday, if I get to see a doctor or midwife. I'd rather not be taking anything if I don't need to, but just SO anxious about having another MC.
Meant to say, not Consultant-led - although this was discussed at one point (my first MC was PUL, suspected ectopic) - and my GP seemed to know very little about taking aspirin. She did say it probably wouldn't do any harm though, which was sort of reassuring!
Definitely ask. But my midwives were happy for me to continue taking it, as in Australia, it is given as a pre-caution for women at risk of pre-eclampsia. Personally, I felt aspirin was the reason I managed to conceive/keep DD, so I wanted to keep taking it until nearer to viability, IYKWIM? 28wks was a good balance between that concern and the haemorrhage one. But I'm also good at overthinking things!!
Hi I'm taking it at the moment for the same reasons as you, consultant told me to stop at 36 weeks. Mention it to your midwife if you've not already, I think they like to have it in your notes incase you go into early labour and your blood is still a little thin.