Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Low dose aspirin - when should I stop taking it?

(12 Posts)
Obsidian Mon 15-May-17 22:19:57

Following some reading, plus advice from lovely ladies on here, I decided to try taking low dose aspirin daily in the hope it might help to prevent a 3rd miscarriage. I don't know whether it had any effect, but I'm currently 10+3 and things seem to be going okay. Although I'm still a nervous wreck. I have my '12 week' scan on Friday (will be 11 weeks). I had an early reassurance scan at 7+5 and saw a heartbeat / everything was measuring as it should, if that makes any difference.

So, my question is, does anyone know if I can now stop taking the aspirin? E.g. if it was going to do anything, would it have done it by now? I asked my doctor, but she didn't seem to know much about it and just said it was my decision. Anyone had any (helpful) medical advice on this?

I want to stop, but am worried that if I do, it could all go wrong again.

Thanks!

HawkeyeInConfusion Mon 15-May-17 22:26:58

I think I took it almost to the end. Certainly well into the third trimester. But I was told to take it by my consultant.

haveacupoftea Tue 16-May-17 04:52:20

I have to take it up to delivery but again I was prescribed it by a consultant. Will you be consultant led OP? You could always ask them at your 14 week appointment.

calimommy Tue 16-May-17 05:01:37

I was px aspirin by my consultant and told to stop taking it 2-3 weeks before edd. In the end baby was born early so I think I had only just stopped taking it if at all. It's a low dose anyway. I'm not taking it this time.

GwendolynMary Tue 16-May-17 05:34:06

I went through to around 28wks, gradually reducing the dose - every second day, then every third, etc. I am prone to PPH so I wanted to have it out of my system well before the birth.

Good luck with your pregnancy flowers

Topsyloulou Tue 16-May-17 06:07:07

I was told to take it by my GP. At booking in the midwife told me i will need to take it all the way through to EDD. Probably worth checking with your midwife at your next appointment.

P1nkSparkles Tue 16-May-17 06:21:02

I got properly lectured (while in labour) because my consultant forgot to tell me to stop taking it at 36 weeks - so I would check with your midwife as apparently it can make post-partum bleeding worse.

Obsidian Tue 16-May-17 18:43:34

Thanks all for sharing your experiences, and the good wishes. I guess I'll ask at my scan appointment on Friday, if I get to see a doctor or midwife. I'd rather not be taking anything if I don't need to, but just SO anxious about having another MC.

Any other thoughts on this welcome! Ta flowers

Obsidian Tue 16-May-17 18:46:37

Meant to say, not Consultant-led - although this was discussed at one point (my first MC was PUL, suspected ectopic) - and my GP seemed to know very little about taking aspirin. She did say it probably wouldn't do any harm though, which was sort of reassuring!

GwendolynMary Tue 16-May-17 21:00:57

Definitely ask. But my midwives were happy for me to continue taking it, as in Australia, it is given as a pre-caution for women at risk of pre-eclampsia. Personally, I felt aspirin was the reason I managed to conceive/keep DD, so I wanted to keep taking it until nearer to viability, IYKWIM? 28wks was a good balance between that concern and the haemorrhage one. But I'm also good at overthinking things!!

Tortycat Tue 16-May-17 21:04:14

I was told to take it til day before elcs so no problems with that (though i have blood clotting issues)

jinglebellmel Wed 17-May-17 09:08:04

Hi I'm taking it at the moment for the same reasons as you, consultant told me to stop at 36 weeks. Mention it to your midwife if you've not already, I think they like to have it in your notes incase you go into early labour and your blood is still a little thin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: