Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scratch mittens

(15 Posts)
Herbie22 Mon 15-May-17 20:04:35

Where can I buy sets of first size scratch mittens. I have some body suits with them built in but would like some spares for other body suits.

drinkyourmilk Mon 15-May-17 20:08:47

I got mine at mothercare.
Places like ebay and amazon also sell them.
I've only used them once mind you- her nails were very soft and just snapped off at first, now at 7 weeks she's big enough to cut them.

raviolidreaming Mon 15-May-17 23:36:29

I find they never stay on - but socks used as scratch mitts do!

pickletoots Tue 16-May-17 00:17:34

I second not needing scratch mitts. My newborn has very soft nails and can peel of the excess. Don't buy too many scratch mitts as you will rarely use them!

GreenGoblin0 Tue 16-May-17 04:41:32

DD2 is 5 weeks -never used them on either baby including the integrated ones. babies use their hands to explore from birth - it's important for their development of their motor skills. I just use a little baby emery board and baby scissors to trim off excess.

only have one little scratch so far and if disappeared in a couple of days.

HeyCat Tue 16-May-17 06:16:00

They don't stay on, and they stop baby from feeling the world with their hands, and sucking on their hands for comfort.

You can get baby emery boards and electric baby nail trimmers if you're really concerned.

Spam88 Tue 16-May-17 06:20:19

The midwife at my antenatal classes advised not using them. As others have said, their hands are how they explore the world. Also their nails are so soft that just them grabbing your top etc will be enough to keep them worn down and short - if you put scratch mitts on then they will get long and sharp.

MyOtherProfile Tue 16-May-17 06:21:37

Had some given for each of my babies but never used them either.

arbrighton Tue 16-May-17 10:03:11

I think i've bought one pack of two pairs from mothercare. And probably already lost them, even before bean has arrived!

troodiedoo Tue 16-May-17 10:09:22

Never used mine. Only used the built in ones for a few weeks then carefully snipped them when she was asleep. Don't get lots of hats either you don't really need them once your out of hospital.

RichardSimmons Tue 16-May-17 10:18:09

I never used them either, with any of my three kids. Nobody ever scratched themselves!

NotAnotherUserName5 Tue 16-May-17 10:31:03

Next, boots, mothercare, Asda, Tesco etc sell them.

howthelightgetsin Tue 16-May-17 10:35:35

Never once used them

kel1493 Tue 16-May-17 10:48:04

Mothercare definitely do them (that's where we got ours), or some supermarkets may do them.
Though our lb soon worked out how to get them off. (Hence why we used the babygrows with attached ones as much as possible)

Emma2803 Tue 16-May-17 11:52:45

Don't bother you won't need them, I never used the ones I bought they just fall off, and only uses the foldover ones to keep baby's hands warm outside! Their wee nails will just peel they are so soft or agree a nail file is much easier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now