Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When can I expect to feel baby move?

(6 Posts)
SayHelloDoris Mon 15-May-17 19:53:15

Had a 4D scan today at 13+3. Sonographer told me against that I have a posterior something, can't remember what. Maybe or wasn't even the word posterior but it definitley started with a P and she said that was good.

This is my 5th pregnancy but will be first baby sad No experience with the others as I lost them all before 16 weeks.

When can I expect to feel baby move? Most importantly though - Do you count the kicks from when you first start feeling movement, or does that come at a later date?

Many thanks! flowers

jinglebellmel Mon 15-May-17 20:39:07

Sorry about your losses, I've had a couple myself and it does make pregnancy an anxious time.

I think what she was saying was that your placenta was at the back rather than the front (if it's at the front then it can make it harder to feel movements). With my son I had an anterior placenta and didn't feel movement until about 22 weeks, this pregnancy it's at the back and I felt movement much earlier, about 16 weeks I think. That was a second pregnancy so would probably be a little later if you've not felt movements before in other pregnancies. Have a look at the kicks count website for info on movements and monitoring them, it will answer much better than I can! Good luck with this pregnancy.

arbrighton Mon 15-May-17 21:25:35

I felt fluttering, almost like wind but in a different place from about 15 weeks I think, certainly by the 17 week midwife appt. Posterior placenta and first pregnancy.

BUT

They expect you to monitor or notice patterns in movement til 28 weeks

Up until about then your baby is small enough that if they move position, they might still be wriggling away but you wouldn't then feel it.

pennysays Mon 15-May-17 23:57:57

I didn't feel anything before 22 weeks either. Well looking back I realise now I thought it was my stomach gurgling but it was baby, but it took til 22 weeks to be certain he was kicking.

Good luck!

pickletoots Tue 16-May-17 00:14:07

I didn't feel anything before 24 weeks and had an anterior placenta so think everything was a bit more padded!

haveacupoftea Tue 16-May-17 04:47:26

Probably around 22 weeks you'll feel definite movement although before then you might get the odd 'ooh what was that?!' feeling.

Don't stress about counting kicks until 28 weeks. Your midwife will give you information about spotting patterns of movement then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now