Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

AIBU trying to contact a docter about getting Tamiflu

(15 Posts)
Firstimefreaked Mon 15-May-17 12:46:01

I have been trying to get hold of my doctor since 10.30 which is when my OH came home from work as he couldnt carry on as he has the Flu (I unitially thought he was just whining...man flu thing) I just got through 5 min ago after calling them 30 times!!! I am quite miffed atm, they cant get anyone to call me until after 2.30 either. When I started calling them I had no symptons and now I am startig to feel feverish and sweaty, sad I asked about the Flu jab a month ago and they didnt have any. I am currently at 26 weeks I dont understand why its so difficult to get the Tamiflu medication or even get hold of anyone...when I useually get through to someone I cant get an appointment for atleast a week or two its just so fusatrating.....Anyone else having similar problems? Am I just unneccassarily grumpy or taking this too seriously?

Firstimefreaked Mon 15-May-17 12:47:20

At this rate Im going to be too poorly to even pick up a prescription in the stupid rain.

wickerlampshade Mon 15-May-17 12:48:31

Bear in mind they may be on emergencies only if they still have no computers evidence for tamiflu is pretty rubbish.

Firstimefreaked Mon 15-May-17 12:58:18

They have computers as its my local surgery, although not a cure all I read that tamiflu can atleast reduce the fever which is the most dangerous part (besides dehydration) for the Baby. I think Im just more miffed at waiting times etc as its constantly like this once the actually get on the line and they dont just chuck you off you have to wait 15 min.

Jessiecat27 Mon 15-May-17 13:03:24

Tamiflu isn't used very often anymore! I work in pharmacy and it's not a common drug because it's so old, most gp's wouldn't prescribe it anymore. Try ringing your local walk in centre and they can book you an appointment for the same day

DPotter Mon 15-May-17 13:03:54

With the NHS computer system hacked I'm not surprised - even if the GP surgery phones are working, they may well not be able to access computer based patients records.
Tamiflu only shortens the experience of symptoms by about 36-48hrs, you still get flu, so many drs think its not worth it. Flu jabs are usually only available at the beginning of the 'flu season in the Autumn so that's why the surgery didn't have any. I think you're over thinking this and getting into a bit of a panic which won't be helping at all. Keep taking fluids, paracetamol for fever and aches and pains should be fine.

Firstimefreaked Mon 15-May-17 13:24:50

I didnt know that Tamiflu was a bit old news now, I can asure you Im not working myself into a panic what I am is angry that 1 my midwife is on holiday and I couldnt speak to anyone else and 2 that this will has taken up nearly 5 hours of my day. Coupled with the fact I now besides being unable to leave the house as I am waiting for a phonecall which thanks to Jessicacats information will probably be pointless, I could have used this time to go out and prepare as I have no food in the house, running low on aminities. BTW I am annoyed at constant waiting times from docters and I wondered if anyone else is experiancing this. Thier computers are fine and even if they werent you need to give them all your details anyway everytime as they dont read your notes or dont have time...

Jessiecat27 Mon 15-May-17 13:46:54

We are just trying to help, unfortunately due to the NHS systems being hacked on Friday some places are struggling with their systems and getting up information. Hope you manage to speak to someone, unfortunately paracetamol, water and warm drinks will help for now until you can. Not a lot you can use whilst pregnant

SandunesAndRainclouds Mon 15-May-17 13:49:43

Don't be annoyed at the Doctors. Be annoyed at the cuts in health care that mean they have less staff trying to cope with a growing population with less resources...

Firstimefreaked Mon 15-May-17 13:58:16

No well you did help, I just wish I could have gotten hold of anyone to ask them about my partners flu and the tami flu rather than wasting so much of my day. I have felt very ignored during my entire pregnancy, I just want to know how many other people are having trouble booking with thier local GP, etc...I feel bad about the cuts which is why I vote the way I do however the majority dont agree with me. Im just pregnant and grumpy and fed up at all my care being weeks later than it should be or not getting information I need etc.

Peakyblinder Mon 15-May-17 14:00:29

I'm currently working in the NHS I can confirm our systems are still down. I'd try and be patient if I were you.

Firstimefreaked Mon 15-May-17 14:02:26

Its stopped raining so Im going to go buy supplies before I get anyworse . Im sorry if I seemed like I was attacking any of you or not being sensitive to the state of our cuts but I have done everything in my power to not be a burden on our healthcare it just fustrates me that Ive lost so much of my day on this. It was a simple answer that I needed and Jessicat was kind enough to give it...Thank you.

Firstimefreaked Mon 15-May-17 14:05:46

Peakyblinder I can assure you that your systems were not down for the last 6 months. and I am being patient but everyone deserves a rant and not accepting long waiting times as the norm etc is how we change these problems.

Spam88 Mon 15-May-17 14:16:51

OP, is there really only one midwife you can contact? That's a stupid system. We have a team here so there's always someone available to call.

As PPs have said, the flu jab is only given during flu season which is why you couldn't get it when you asked, and I haven't heard of tamiflu being prescribed in this situation but you never know I suppose. Get plenty of rest though and keep your fluids up, hopefully you're just feeling a little run down and won't end up as poorly as your husband 🤞

Emma2803 Mon 15-May-17 20:45:32

Even if you do get prescribed tamiflu good luck finding a pharmacy that stocks it. It's not routinely used, was used for the swine flu outbreak about 7-8 years ago and the department of health gave each pharmacy a supply, separate from what was to be used for standard prescriptions but I've never saw it used since, it would take a lot of hunting to find it I'd imagine.

Rest, fluids and paracetamol I'm afraid is your only option. Also the flu vaccine is modified every year in preparation for new vaccination schedule in the autumn, flu season is December to March, that's probably why they have no vaccines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now