Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan and beyond nervous

(17 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Mon 15-May-17 08:45:36

Hell knows how I'm going to manage at work until 2, I'm so jittery and nervous.

Doesn't help I had to keep reminding DP about today as he kept forgetting... Why isn't he this bloody nervous?

What are your 12 week scan experiences? What happens/do you see? Did you tell people after? Not sure I'm ready to completely share my precious secret just yet.

I'm also super worried something will go/be wrong... Are these feelings normal?

Foggymist Mon 15-May-17 08:48:55

You usually see a baby shaped thing (as opposed to earlier scans when it's not baby-like really), hear heartbeat, they check measurements to confirm edd and check everything is progressing as it should be at this stage. That's usually about it for the scan bit. We didn't tell people directly after but I hate fuss and attention and people knowing my business so we tell people as we feel the need to.

Foggymist Mon 15-May-17 08:49:55

Also your dp might not be nervous because it often doesn't feel real for them early on, when they can't see physical changes and aren't experiencing symptoms like you are.

OnNaturesCourse Mon 15-May-17 08:50:39

Scan bit?

Sorry, I'm just nervous and have no one to talk to. Xx

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Mon 15-May-17 08:51:06

Good luck. It's absolutely normal to be nervous and to not be sure whether you want to tell people or not.
If all is well you can see little bean pretty clearly and see heart beating.
Hope it all goes well!

Foggymist Mon 15-May-17 08:53:58

Scan bit, as in I don't know from your post if you just a scan booked today or if it's a booking in appointment type thing where you have scan, history, bloods, midwife check, etc.

OnNaturesCourse Mon 15-May-17 08:59:03

Sorry foggy. I misread your 1St post. Thank you xx

Do you get anything, like bloods etc? I had some done at 9wks at my booking appointment

Bubbasmama2017 Mon 15-May-17 08:59:04

Good luck. I had a scan at 7 weeks so told a few people then just close friends and family but told my work after the 12 week one as I felt stressed lying and keeping it from people all the time. Everyone is different though. The scan is wonderful.

Supersmith Mon 15-May-17 09:06:05

I was really nervous about my 12 weeks scan,bevause it didn't feel real that I was pregnant. You need to have a full bladder otherwise they won't see much.
But the first time you see your little one is such a magical and amazing moment, it all becomes very real. I cried at mine and my DP was unusually emotional as well, bless.
The scan is just a dating scan to get your dates right and how far along in pregnancy you are. After then scan you can buy your photos then you're free to go, after they've filled in your book.
Good luck for today, I hope all goes well for you!

OnNaturesCourse Mon 15-May-17 09:11:21

I had one at just under 9 weeks, and heard the heartbeat. I'm guessing that all going well this one will be similar?

Foggymist Mon 15-May-17 09:21:35

I had everything I listed there at my 12 week appt, it was in the hospital, I'm in Ireland. I didn't have bloods etc earlier than that, they all get done at 12 weeks here.

If you've already had a scan yes it will be very similar, just bigger baby.

twinkle1972 Mon 15-May-17 09:24:03

Just wanted to say good luck smile

WowserBowser Mon 15-May-17 09:27:34

Oh it's so nerve wracking! Heartbeat at 9 weeks stands you in good stead though.

Good luck! And let us know how you get on.

AceholeRimmer Mon 15-May-17 10:14:39

It was lovely to have everything confirmed but I wasn't nervous, I felt very pregnant due to all the sickness grin and had no history of miscarriages etc. It was nice to see him for the first time smile
It's normal for your DP to not feel how you do at this stage.
I didn't tell anyone apart from close family until I put a picture on instagram at 36 weeks, but I'm probably unusual haha!

NotAnotherUserName5 Mon 15-May-17 12:09:32

You'll be fine. Try not to worry, but I have to say worrying about scans is perfectly normal.

You'll find it lovely to see how much baby has grown since week 9.

Let us know how it goes! smile

OnNaturesCourse Mon 15-May-17 15:43:27

They couldn't get a clear picture so couldn't really do anything. Seen the arms and legs and heartbeat but have to go back next week xx

OnNaturesCourse Mon 15-May-17 15:58:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now