Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Over due!

(7 Posts)
AmyG87 Mon 15-May-17 06:36:39

Hi ladies

So I'm now 40+5 & going crazy! This is my first baby.

I had a sweep on my due date, booked in for another on Thursday (41+1) & booked in to be induced on Sunday (41+4) confused

I've tried everything to get things moving; long baths, hot food, bouncing on gym ball all the time. I have really swollen feet so I can't really go on long walks, so a couple of short walks with one foot on the road & one on the pavement. Nothing is working & this baby is not budging.

I just wanted a moan really & to see if anybody can relate??

Are inductions as bad as people say? X

mammabear4 Mon 15-May-17 10:51:36

Hi Hun didn't want to read and run. Just thought I'd give you a few statistics which hopefully will help you chill and stay positive. I know it's hard when you're so desperate to meet your baby. Normal human gestation is any time between 37 - 42 weeks, so you're not TECHNICALLY overdue until after 42 weeks, which as far as I'm aware never happens. Most countries in the world put due date at 41 weeks. And only 4% of women actually give birth on their due date! It's definitely not an exact science 😊 Baby will come when baby is ready! Stay strong you will meet your beautiful baby soon x

MusicToMyEars800 Mon 15-May-17 10:57:51

I went a week over with my first dd, my midwife gave me good stretch and sweep of the morning I went into labour, so you could see if you could have one done, just try and relax and not worry about trying to get things moving. I was due to be induced the tues after I went into labour so I didn't get that experience. When the baby is ready you will know, my 2nd dd came a week early grin. Good luck and of course congratulations flowers

hexagon01 Mon 15-May-17 11:46:05

I can relate! 41 weeks today and I'm driving myself insane. At least my plug has started to come away, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean something will happen. Booked in for a second sweep tomorrow, very much hoping to avoid the induction that I think will be booked for Saturday aaahh.

Intransige Mon 15-May-17 11:48:45

you're not TECHNICALLY overdue until after 42 weeks, which as far as I'm aware never happens

DC2 arrived at 43 weeks. Believe me, it happens!

And yes, it was a very stressful week between 42 and 43 weeks. It's over now though, and I'm glad I didn't get induced. Very much something to discuss in detail with your HCPs though.

sycamore54321 Mon 15-May-17 12:09:51

Good grief. OP, inductions, like any type of birth, can be just fine or can be rough. I've had two, and would be perfectly happy to have another if pregnant again - there are even lovely practical advantages to knowing you won't be making a midnight dash to hospital or getting stuck in traffic while in labour.

Please ignore the voices on here hinting that you shouldn't induce, even if beyond 42 weeks. There are major risks to going overdue and right now, your baby is full term and perfectly ready for being born. There is a saying in obstetrics that nothing good happens after 40 weeks and really it is true, there is no additional benefit to the baby and only additional risks associated with an ageing placenta and other issues.

Please discuss with your doctor. If pain is a concern, epidurals are a wonderful thing. Plenty of women don't find inductions any more painful than spontaneous labour and don't require pain relief.

On the swollen ankles, have you mentioned these to your healthcare team?

Best wishes for a lovely, safe, non-eventful and hopefully imminent birth.

Badgerbird Mon 15-May-17 15:43:20

Hey OP you could come and join us on the May ante natal thread/birth club. A few ladies over 40 weeks there and very ready for baby to come!! I'm 38+3 so still have time... maybe confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now