Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have veins like this?? (Pic included)

(10 Posts)
vainofmylife Sun 14-May-17 21:52:39

I have these horrible veins on my calf muscles, one leg is particularly bag. They've been getting worse as pregnancy progresses (now 36 weeks). They're not sore to the touch but my legs do feel achy. Have been advised to use flight socks which I have been but they don't seem to be making much difference and I don't wear them everyday as I've only got 2 pairs and they are bloody expensive!!

But most importantly....will they go away?? They look like big bruises on my pale skin - horrible!

The first pic is how they look now and the second is a couple of weeks ago.

MissBax Sun 14-May-17 21:55:22

Where the socks if you've been advised to!! Sorry to ask a personal question but are you overweight? Are you getting aboit exercise and eating the right foods?

SleepForTheWeek Sun 14-May-17 21:59:11

No I'm not overweight and I'm reasonably active.

I do wear the socks but when they are both in the wash I just go without. My legs still get achy with them on and the veins don't seem to go down any.

I went for a leg massage a few weeks ago and I actually saw an improvement but not for long unfortunately!!

Dozer Sun 14-May-17 22:02:11

I have had a couple of those since pregnancy.

MissBax Sun 14-May-17 22:11:54

Hmm just keep an eye on them, it's likely just the pressure of all that extra blood on your veins smile

Mustbeinsane1984 Sun 14-May-17 22:55:24

Yip I'm with you! I have them all over my legs sad This is my second pregnancy and they are worse this time round. After my first child theyfaded a lot but did not go away completely! I've had scans on my legs to rule out any thrombosis or clots and all fine. My doctor says it is cosmetic and if I still have them after this birth the I can have treatment 6 months after. I have heard conflicting stories though that it's best not to treat them as they could come back worse. I am a non smoker, hardly drank any alcohol before pregnancy and I am still active, I cycle every other day. My diets is pretty healthy. My doctor seems to think it's the added weight contributing. I have met some people that theirs has disappeared after birth though. The tights/stockings are ok and should help the veins from spreading and yes they are def not cheap!

MabelTheCow Mon 15-May-17 08:54:38

Yep, one patch on my right calf just like that. They go down a lot when I have my feet up for extended periods so think it's the pressure.

nosleepforme Mon 15-May-17 09:13:23

it's probably a result of strain on blood vessels. in response to the pressures of a heavy uterus and additional blood volume, veins are forced to exert extra effort to pump the blood back to the heart.
take at least 2 rests a day with feet elevated. this will return blood to the heart. maybe sleep with a couple of books under the foot of the mattress to elevate your legs? i would have thought support socks would help. try putting them on before getting out of bed in the morning. also lie down with feet elevated for at least 5 mins before putting on support socks and after bathing/showering.
hope that helps x

FatPiggy Mon 15-May-17 09:44:55

I have 2 bad patches on 1 leg and an even worse large patch on the other leg. I had them in my first pregnancy too but they had faded by the time DC was 2. I wasn't over weight in my first pregnancy but I am in this one. My GP says they're normal but worse this time probably due to weight gain and the type of work I do since I'm on my feet and walking around constantly for 6-8 hours a day. Compression socks haven't helped me but they do start to look better on my days off as I can sit with my feet up!

libm127 Mon 15-May-17 14:00:57

I haven't had these but I have terrible broken veins on my cheeks. I am planning on having some laser treatment after pregnancy. I think pregnancy is just very hard on your blood vessels and some people have more delicate capillaries than others. I'm not sure they'll go away but you might be able to cover them to some extent with fake tan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now