Talk

Advanced search

First pregnancy at 39

(17 Posts)
Carolwithane Sun 14-May-17 11:59:30

Hi all
I am currently 8 weeks pregnant with my first at the ripe old age of 39! We are shocked (we thought that ship had sailed!) and delighted!

I feel fine, no sickness etc...... just sore boobs and tiredness which I hope will pass

Haven't told anyone else yet and a bit apprehensive about it due to my age

Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar position?!?

twinkle1972 Sun 14-May-17 12:21:55

I'm 44 and expecting my 4th! My other children are 21,19 and 18 though so it's been a while wink I'm 7 weeks today. Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

user1483387154 Sun 14-May-17 12:26:03

39 years old and first child due the end of June smile
It is scary some days and exciting others, I have had very few symptoms other than tiredness which has never left and nausea in the first trimester followed by constant hunger ;)

Carolwithane Sun 14-May-17 12:31:30

Hey thanks for the replies! Congratulations smile

I'm worried I'll be put in the geriatric rather than the maternity ward! grin

Maybe I should just worry less about what other people think! I'm trying to relax and enjoy it as it's probably the only time I'll do it but dreading the reactions a bit tbh!

user1483387154 Sun 14-May-17 12:35:10

Start by telling family and friends that you know will react positively. It makes such a difference having a support network available for days you feel overwhelmed.
Anyone who is negative can back off out of your life, they are not real friends x

All of the medical staff I have dealt with have not mentioned anything about my age and been completely supportive and professional.

Sakura03 Sun 14-May-17 14:07:05

Congratulations Carol I'll be 39 in August and I'm 13w6d with my first, I had an early mc nearly 2 years ago and after that we went through all the tests and was told we were unexplained. In January I decide to buy the clearblue fertility monitor and as it came with 4 pregnancy tests on day 28 I thought why not do a test and I got my bfp! The 9 weeks wait until I had my scan were the longest ever as I was so anxious that I'd have another mc. No sickness here either

Carolwithane Sun 14-May-17 14:16:43

Thank you Sakura and to you! I don't have a scan date yet have my booking appt with midwife on the 22nd so probably be a few weeks after that. It just doesn't feel real, I don't FEEL pregnant! Probably won't do until after scan - trying not to get too excited until after then. It's sooooo hard to keep the secret shock

BalloonDinosaur Sun 14-May-17 14:46:29

Congrats OP! My DM was 49 when she had me and that was 30+ years ago now. I don't think it's nearly as unusual these days. She didn't have any issues and was generally well throughout.

I also understand about not feeling pregnant. I was the same, especially at the beginning. The first scan helped and beginning to show.

BalloonDinosaur Sun 14-May-17 14:46:53

Urgh, 39, not 49!

MaryShelley1818 Sun 14-May-17 19:37:15

I turned 39 last week and am 9wks pregnant with our first baby.
Exactly the same as you...no sickness, don't feel pregnant at all but had an early scan at 7wks and there's definitely a baby in there!
Full of anxiety though that something will go wrong...it's a scary time!

theBaldSoprano Sun 14-May-17 19:51:30

congratulations!

I had my first baby at 40, and there was absolutely no issue apart from midwife vaguely mentioning my age on my file. I never felt that my age was an issue at all. No one ever dared saying or even thinking it in front of me.

The hardest bit was to get over the tiredness with a newborn an unsleeping newborn! and to lose baby weight, so bit careful not to put on too much. It seems to be a bit harder than when you are 20. Until the baby was born, no issue whatsoever. I wouldn't have been ready at all in my 30s, let alone my 20s, it worked out really well.

I since read comments about local groups where young mums felt excluded, or looked down because of their age. Being early 40 meant I was very comfortable in my own skin, very confident, and it has been great (I don't mean confident in my parenting, no one is, but that's normal!)

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 14-May-17 19:54:52

Congratulations!!
I and ds at 37 and another at 43!!
Well done!! flowers

Daisymay2 Sun 14-May-17 20:07:37

Hi
Congratulations Carol
I had my first DS at 39y 6m - he is 24 tomorrow! DS2 at 42. Like Soprano no real problem. I stopped going to the gym at 36 weeks becuase i was getting a bit tired! Worked until 36 weeks as well- standing up job. The Registrar muttered about induction at 37 weeks _ I just asked why and he looked confused and said no more. ( It helped that I could read the Consultant's comments upside down when he was struggling. He arrived 2 days overdue , had a water birth, midwife only.
No 2 was induced because they did not let the elderly ( !) go over 40 weeks and 1 day.

Carolwithane Sun 14-May-17 21:47:09

Thanks for the reassurance and info! Have my booking appt with midwife on the 22nd with scan to follow

I'll see how it all goes but feeling hopeful. I think you're right when say older mothers not so unusual nowadays. Doing my best to relax and enjoy it as it's probably the only time I'll do it smile

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Sun 14-May-17 21:51:48

Congratulations @Carolwithane !
I had my son at just turned 39, my daughter at just turned 41 and I'm now 14 weeks with number 3 at 42. Not a single one really planned just all wonderful surprises.
There's a lovely thread on here for pregnant over 40, quite a lot of us on there if you fs cry having a read through and joining up (technically you're too young so that's great, right, 😂) but there's a lot of us more mature ladies having babies.

Hope you have a lovely, happy pregnancy x

hopsalong Sun 14-May-17 22:30:50

At my hospital in central London, the average age of mothers is 37, a midwife told me. I don't think it's unusual at all to have a first baby at 39 these days, and you won't be counted as properly old (consultant led, induction before 49 weeks) because you aren't yet 40. Don't worry! I hope you enjoy the pregnancy and maybe have another!

valgr11 Sun 14-May-17 22:40:24

Congratulations Carolwithane and every expecting mother here.. and those who had successfully delivered their babies at that fragile age smile That's really amazing reading such wonderful stories about happy pregnancies over 40. Especially after hearing all those stories about reduction of ovaries function and other accompanying problems.. such treads are absolutely necessary to regain faith in life. .Thnks ladies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now