Talk

Advanced search

Pins and Needles Left Hand During Sleep - No pressure it?

(4 Posts)
Samila Sun 14-May-17 08:18:53

Hi all

I am 32 weeks pregnant and noticed that when I go to sleep, I wake up a few times with pins and needles usually in my left hand - I know that this is a fairly common
Symptom I'm pregnancy from what I have read. However, is it normal to get the pins and needles when your not putting any pressure on your hand at all and not lying on it etc - my hand is always resting by my left side on top of my body i don't put pressure on it etc not even subconsciously - previous instances of pins and needles have been when I've woken up and I've clearly been putting pressure on a part of my body. Any advice appreciated - thanks xxx

user1471521456 Sun 14-May-17 08:23:08

Could it be carpal tunnel syndrome? The pins and needles can be caused by pressure on the nerves from raised blood pressure, hence why you can get it in pregnancy. Do you have your hand open or closed? Treatment when I was pregnant (some time ago!) was splints on the hand overnight to keep the hand open as making a fist exacerbates things apparently.

Crumbs1 Sun 14-May-17 08:33:26

Yes carpal tunnel. It isn't serious but is annoying. You can get splints if it bothers you a lot but otherwise it goes after pregnancy usually.

grobsmum Sun 14-May-17 08:50:41

I have exactly the same thing. I asked the midwife about it when I saw her this week and she said it's nothing to worry about it's normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now