Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Clearblue Digi predictors-helpful or just pure evil?!

(25 Posts)
CL1982 Fri 12-May-17 15:59:06

Hi everyone,

Stuck on 1-2 weeks at 4.5 (19dpo) weeks on these bad boys and slightly worried it's not 2-3 weeks yet...but figure, well, what can I do if it's not a good outcome?! Aside from just stopping testing (Lesson learned and I'm putting all tests DOWN) I am curious as to whether it's just me they've worried and how it turned out for other people who have maybe used them for progression.

Did they accurately reflect your beta levels/HCG or ultrasounds (if you had then done early) or your stages? Are they great or are they actually...just a bit crap 💩?!

I'll keep it updated for future users how I go! Having a scan next tuesday if all is still there.

Thanks!

CL1982 Fri 12-May-17 16:00:19

P.s my FRER was still dark as of yesterday (see the bottom one)

SleepFreeZone Fri 12-May-17 16:03:09

Oh gosh they're definitely evil bastards.

All I know is I've used them before and got all my week indicators and lost the pregnancy anyway so they've never given me peace of mind.

BertieBotts Fri 12-May-17 16:05:00

They are not accurate at all. Put the tests down!!

There's a great review on I think the American amazon page for it which explains in detail, but basically, hcg levels at various week points aren't consistent from pregnancy to pregnancy, urine isn't consistent with how much hcg it expresses and the tests aren't consistent with what they pick up. The only way to know your accurate hcg level is a blood test, which you won't get on the nhs without a specific reason. Even with a blood test, the result tells you nothing unless you have two at least 48 hours apart. So relax! There's a huge range of normal and you're still getting positives, which is a great sign.

CL1982 Fri 12-May-17 16:19:21

Thank you. You go on the internet and so many of the 'not shifting from 1-2 weeks' ends in disaster that I was worrying a lot! I'm getting scanned on tuesday so will know more then. I think you're right and I need to just calm down. I believe one of the girls on another thread in the States said they've been recalled in her area due to them stressing women out unduly....

Teakind Fri 12-May-17 17:13:25

These things are great for confirming a pregnancy but not for progression. I couldn't get mine to go past 2-3 weeks and gave up in the end. I was convinced I was going to have another miscarriage and was so upset. I had a blood test which confirmed I had high hcg levels and I'm now 39 weeks!

CL1982 Fri 12-May-17 17:18:36

That is helpful thank you! When did you try up until?

Teakind Fri 12-May-17 17:20:27

7 or 8 weeks I think. Then I thought I was spending too much money on them : )

CL1982 Fri 12-May-17 17:50:19

Oh my gosh! You we're still getting 1-2 at 7 weeks?!?!

CL1982 Fri 12-May-17 17:50:51

Sorry-, you said 2-3 weeks! Doh.

BertieBotts Fri 12-May-17 19:05:19

www.amazon.com/review/R21VL5LTF4V7I9/ref=cm_cr_rev_detdel_redir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00D05VGCS&cdForum=Fx1CC46NS99D3FC&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2SR9XEZ3E9MCO&newContentID=MxBB7MIRQZJ4GX&store=hpc&tag=mumsnetforum-21#MxBB7MIRQZJ4GX

BertieBotts Fri 12-May-17 19:07:32

Plus this

www.babymed.com/normal-hcg-blood-level-by-week-during-pregnancy#

Try not to worry! Lucky getting an early scan smile

WeeWillyWinkieFromEccles Fri 12-May-17 21:01:53

I love and hate them in equal measure. My second pregnancy seemed fine, the weeks numbers progressed as expected on the tests, then when I went for the 12-week scan, there was a tiny sac and nothing else to see (blighted ovum).

We are currently ttc again and if I am lucky enough to get a positive result then I will be seeing if I can convince the husband to go for an early scan around 8/9 weeks.

CL1982 Fri 12-May-17 22:15:51

I think this means I am buggered!!! But thank you smile

CL1982 Sat 13-May-17 00:54:10

I'm so sorry. I guess they are a doubled edged sword. If this pregnancy does end DH and I have decided we Kenny test until a week after a missed period. Just too mch stress this week sad

CL1982 Mon 15-May-17 15:40:46

UPDATE

If anyone is interested a friend on my support group on fb shared this with me about these tests. Officially....they are the devil! She said she was still getting 1-2 when she was 6 weeks + pregnant.

So just a share for more info! I have the complete study if anyone would like it.

PowerPantsRule Mon 15-May-17 15:46:20

Hope you are OK CL1982....

mugginsalert Mon 15-May-17 15:48:06

Mine went up and down with one pregnancy and got stuck at 1-2 weeks with the other. They kids are 6 and 2 now and driving me mad. Good luck

CL1982 Mon 15-May-17 16:02:55

hey - i'm ok thanks! Haven't done another digi (I don't bloody dare!!!) but did a Frer and still very strong. Having a scan tomorrow so hoping we see something even though it's mega early.

I'm furious with these digis though! If you don't have a product which works....don't sell them sad

CL1982 Mon 15-May-17 16:03:54

That's so bad! How do they get away with it.... I'm all for something scientific but i do think these are just an expensive way of scaring quite vulnerable women. Esp those who have had losses and are looking for re-assurance.... sad

BertieBotts Mon 15-May-17 16:22:30

It's not scientific, urine tests are really a blunt tool, did you read the review I posted? These tests are really just for entertainment, they do say that on the packaging.

CL1982 Mon 15-May-17 17:08:36

Mmmm. I did and it was useful thank you. I agree they are a very blunt tool and using them for progression is a crazy thing that i will NEVER do again!!!

For me the issue is they actually don't specify in any way that they are 'for fun'. What is written on the packet/website blurb is:

"It's like 2 tests in 1 - it first detects if the pregnancy hormone is present with over 99% accuracy from the day of your expected period, and if you are pregnant, it ALSO indicates how many weeks since conception occurred 1-2, 2-3 or more than 3 weeks (3+). The Weeks Indicator is 93% accurate in detecting when you conceived."

There is an asterix which said:

** 'Weeks' result 97% in agreement with later ultrasound dating scan. Based on studies of 187 women comparing results (1-2, 2-3, 3+ weeks since conception) to ultrasound dating +/- 5 days.

Now, to me this is pretty misleading as a lot of people will miss the whole '5 days' thing and panic. My argument is that they are selling these as a reliable, scientific tool for dating your pregnancy which of course, once you read the small print, they aren't. I'm certainly not a stupid woman (in the main!!) and i was still very worried when taking these tests until i did some digging. I think they need to be a little clearer.

But let's not forget, Clearblue is out to make money! So their advertising is bound to be biased to hell in favour of the product. It's just a very vulnerable market they're aiming at.

BertieBotts Mon 15-May-17 17:16:13

Yes I totally agree - it's unethical.

CL1982 Mon 15-May-17 17:51:34

I sense a strongly worded email being sent to Clearblue. I'll have a stew and work myself up and compose one smile I work in customer service so i'm pretty good at them!

CL1982 Mon 15-May-17 18:39:30

I might have sent a very long email!

Hi Clearblue,

I purchased this pregnancy test as I trust your products. I really do. I had a Clearblue monitor for a year or two while TTC and even upgraded to an advanced monitor. I had my first pregnancy using your monitor and conceived this one using the advanced one. I really, really like them. Yes they are expensive. But you have put some thought into them and they took all of the guesswork out of it. And I really appreciate that. You even, when I had some sticks which didn’t work replaced them without question and tested the faulty stick and sent me a report. It was amazing. I was seriously, seriously impressed.

Until I found this test. My god. This test.

It’s sensitive. That is the one thing I liked about them. I actually was very impressed by how quickly it picked it up my pregnancy. And when you see the ‘Pregnant 1-2’ that is SO exciting. So you keep the second and you maybe, ‘just for fun’ try another one in a week’s time to see the progression. And it still says ‘Pregnant 1-2’.

And the warning bells start. Because you should be 2-3, shouldn’t you? And as you’ve had two miscarriages, you start to panic as your HCG levels MUST be low or dropping as this very reassuring test has said you’re under the amount of weeks pregnant that you should be. And then the panic starts. And I mean, the panic starts. Because it took 17 months and two losses to get here and honestly, you’re not sure if this isn’t predicting a third time now.....

I can’t be the only woman who has emailed you about this. These tests seem to be causing anxiety and heart ache for quite a large amount of women all over the world if you check the various public forums. And honestly….I think you need to start looking at what you’re doing and whether you’re selling this product ethically to your target audience.

You state that:

"It's like 2 tests in 1 - it first detects if the pregnancy hormone is present with over 99% accuracy from the day of your expected period, and if you are pregnant, it ALSO indicates how many weeks since conception occurred 1-2, 2-3 or more than 3 weeks (3+). The Weeks Indicator is 93% accurate in detecting when you conceived."

But it’s only when you read the small print that what it means is:

** 'Weeks' result 97% in agreement with later ultrasound dating scan. Based on studies of 187 women comparing results (1-2, 2-3, 3+ weeks since conception) to ultrasound dating +/- 5 days.

So actually what you’re admitting is that the results could be 5 days out which makes them pretty inaccurate in fact. You cover yourself as you put it in the small print but I’ll be honest with you Clearblue… who the hell reads the small print on a freaking pregnancy test?

Yes, it’s stupid not to I know. You should ALWAYS read the small print. But honestly, if you’ve ever been pregnant I’m sure you’ll understand that it’s one of the most exciting and desperately stressful times in your life. For those of us who have had losses, we’re relying on something that has been sold to us as supposedly ‘scientific’ to help us (you even have a random actress in a white coat in your ads as, hey, she’s obviously a doctor and I can trust her!) and reading the freaking small print and trying to work it out in our heads…..yeah. We’re not all going to do that. Some people honestly CAN’T work it out. And they shouldn’t have to. Not at the amount that you charge for these tests.

If your science can’t pinpoint the pregnancy accurately as you state without you having to fudge the statistics (also how is 187 a decent control group to make these kind of statements accurately?) then please, you need to rethink your advertising of these products. You cannot, i repeat cannot state that women using this test 'Can know how far along you are' as you cannot give them the correct information reliably. At early pregnancy even a week out is just not accurate!

All I can say is that worrying day and night about it for about a week, constantly checking that I’m not bleeding when I go to the loo, googling, calling my clinic and GP several times, scheduling an early scan, enquiring about paying to get Betas done (which we don’t do here) as well as asking about other people’s experiences on numerous forums….was not what I needed this week. Until I read the small print of course. And now I am a little (although never 100%) more relaxed. I’m still a huge stress ball. And I can’t be excited about this pregnancy yet.

If this pregnancy continues and I am lucky enough to have a second child I will never, ever use this test again. And I urge you that while we understand you need to make money and that you don’t sell these tests with altruistic motives, that you at least consider changing your selling and marketing information to take into account women who are at their most vulnerable. Because this makes me not want to keep buying Clearblue products again.

And that would be a real shame.

Best wishes,
Claire

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now