Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Not excited about pregnancy

(8 Posts)
BBecky1990 Fri 12-May-17 09:46:24

Hi,
I'm 13 weeks and 4 days pregnant and I'm feeling really indifferent about it. The pregnancy was planned and I was hoping that when we had our first scan I would start to feel excited but I felt nothing. I weren't really too concerned about feeling this way until recently. My partner became a bit upset at the fact that I weren't excited like he is and now I'm starting to feel guilty. I'm honestly not scared or worried about the pregnancy, I just don't seem to have any feelings either way. Is this normal? I'm starting to wonder if I'm just a bit heartless hmm

Libbylove2015 Fri 12-May-17 09:51:46

Don't worry, I was exactly the same. I think it is because the whole idea is just an abstract until you actually grow a bump and start to feel the baby.

I am 28+5 now and I am starting to buy things and get the room ready/go to NCT. It all feels much more real and I am starting to feel excited, but it is only recent! I am sure the same will happen to you. Until then, fake it until you make it! and explain that it hasn't sunken in yet.

No need to feel guilty!

HN42 Fri 12-May-17 10:14:09

Don't worry about it, I'm almost 27 weeks and still not feeling excited as I am not an exciteable person really, I keep my feet on the ground and I am quite apprehensive about everything. I have my odd moments where I feel excited but the majority of the time I don't feel excited at all.

TeddyIsaHe Fri 12-May-17 10:20:49

Don't panic, I wasn't excited and was very indifferent until I held dd for the first time, and then it all made sense! I think it was an unconscious defence mechanism to not get too attached in case something happened, but I didn't realise it until she was born. Don't feel guilty, they're your feelings and you shouldn't feel bad for not feeling how everyone else expects you to. Also, don't panic if you still feel indifferent when baby is here, it took me two months to fully bond with dd, although I loved her fiercely from the moment I held her, the bond was slow growing. It's a completely new concept being a parent, so it does take some time getting used to it all. Hope that helps a little flowers

BBecky1990 Fri 12-May-17 15:26:08

Thanks so much for all the words of wisdom. Really makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who's felt this way smile

kikibo Fri 12-May-17 16:25:42

I'm not really excited. I don't really revel in my pregnancy, if that's what people mean by 'excited'. I don't see why I should. I prefer to hope everything is/will be fine and I'll be glad when at least that part is over and she's out of me safe and sound and I'm fine as well.

I love it when she moves though and I talk to her, and my hubby and I give each other belly kisses (I know weird, right grin), but other than that I frankly think excitement pure and simple is completely exaggerated. Just try to explain your feelings to your partner, I guess.

Kas1362 Fri 12-May-17 18:09:10

I'm so glad you started this thread OP - I was beginning to think it was just me! I'm 14+2 now and really thought it would hit home when I saw the scan, but it's almost like it's not even happening. I've been really ill since week 6, and when everyone keeps saying how excited I must be I keep replying that it's like having he world's longest bout of flu!

I'm hoping I start feeling a bit more excited when I can feel him/her moving around, and it's really good to read that so many of you started getting excited late!

SnapJack68 Sat 13-May-17 23:10:50

It's normal op... I forget I am pregnant some days. Despite the constant vomiting haha. But I kind of forget there is a baby coming. I was similar with my first... wasn't reallt that excited.. I didn't know what to expect and was so unsure what was going to happen. I felt more excited when I was a right jumbo but only really got excited when they arrived smile that s the good bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now