Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain.. how much is to much?

(30 Posts)
Amz26 Thu 11-May-17 14:41:14

So I've just come back from my doctors as I felt like I had water retention in my legs! I was told by the doctor I haven't and it's because I have gained to much weight!

I am 23weeks and have put on 11kg.. i know I have put on more than average, but would like to know what other people have put on? The doctor told me to restrict my carbs which I have already done.. but she just made me feel really bad about my weight gain!!

What is everyones weight gain for their pregnancies, should I be worried?

manyaslip Thu 11-May-17 14:47:36

I'm just 20 weeks and have gained about 2kg so far. But I've been eating loads lately (so hungry!) so expecting more kgs soon.

chocoraisin Thu 11-May-17 14:48:07

This time I have gained 3KG at 15 weeks. In my first pregnancy I gained 30Kg overall (!!) and in my second pregnancy I gained 25Kg overall. I lost it all both times. It wasn't brilliant, but nor was it the end of the world. I have severe PGP though and this time I'm militantly trying to keep the weight gain under 15Kg.

Don't panic but also pay attention to what you're eating. It's possible to rein it in, and you probably will feel better if you slow it down a bit. However take heart from someone who's 'fully cooked' weight is basically planetary. I get HUGE. And then over about a year, I get back to myself. We don't all carry the same way, I'll never be a 'neat bump' girl. My ass, face and upper arms are all pregnant too!! blush

dede124 Thu 11-May-17 14:49:25

I feel like I have put on weight but I haven't been weighed again since my booking appointment... I'm now 19 weeks and will probably get weighed at next appt abit worried because I have been eating loads and not had much energy for exercise sadx

savagehk Thu 11-May-17 14:49:28

I gained over 15kg the first pregnancy. Last time I looked this pregnancy was over 11kg. If you're small to start with you are supposed to put on more.

Jellybabie3 Thu 11-May-17 15:17:13

I am 21 weeks and have gained just over 6Kgs. Feel like its gone on my arms though sad

kikibo Thu 11-May-17 15:38:13

I'm 25 weeks and I've gained 6.3kg so far. I'm not in the UK, so I get weighed every month at each appointment and told off when it's too much. And I started at only 52kg (although I think I lost weight due to morning sickness before I went, but they don't know about that).

The midwife said about it that, no it's not nice to be told off, but if you gain too much too quickly you tend to get problems with blood pressure, swelling and other complaints so she was 'happy he (the ob she works with and mine) put the pressure on a bit'. She's a nice woman with 40 years in her profession, so I guess it's genuinely meant well.

kel1493 Thu 11-May-17 15:48:10

I put on 10kg in my whole pregnancy. Baby was 6lb 7oz.
I was wearing my original size tracksuit bottoms and t shirts at 40 weeks. I didn't bother with maternity clothes, and only went up by 1 clothes size (the bottoms I was wearing at the end were the next size up from my normal size). And my stomach was almost flat the day after giving birth (I had a small roll, but no big bump like I was still pregnant).
I didn't diet at all. And I was back in my old jeans a month after the birth (I could have worn them sooner, but didn't want to be uncomfortable due to my stitches).
But everyone is different.

Amz26 Thu 11-May-17 15:49:48

I am going to slow down on the food now! I'm really into my fitness so I've trained all the way through my pregnancy so I'm shocked I'm so heavy! I am carry all my weight on my legs and bum.. my bump is quite neat to be honest!

I think because this is my first baby I've got carried away 😬

calimommy Thu 11-May-17 16:07:35

That does seem a little high. It's a slippery slope. I put on loads of weight with my first two pregnancies and I'm making efforts now not to do the same. When I'm pregnant I tend to hold on to every calorie that I eat, and I don't loose weight breastfeeding, so I need to be careful this time. So far I'm 23 weeks and have put on 4.5 kg and my doctor thought that was quite a lot. I gained most of it on the last 8 weeks so it was probably more the time frame than the overall weight, but it's still important to be careful. I always get terrible SPD and last time I had sciatica too so I want to try to gain less weight for that reason, it's crippling and I have a 1.5&3.5 yo now to run after.

rosiehull4 Thu 11-May-17 17:07:35

I'm constantly worrying about weight gain, have put on about 3.5-4kg so far at 20 weeks pregnant. I think a lot of this went on in the early stages as eating helped stave off any feelings of nausea! I'm told the weight gain kind of levels itself off during the pregnancy (some gain weight early, some later), so maybe it will start to slow.

Lunalovepud Thu 11-May-17 17:28:10

I have a slightly different perspective on this as I have filed weight gain under 'something to worry about after my 8 week post natal check'... I am RAVENOUS this pregnancy - I can't stop eating. I wasn't like this with DC1 so I have no idea why this time is any different but I am constantly hungry.

I am exercising regularly and mostly eat a healthy diet, there is just much more of it than usual and more treats than I would usually have.

When DC1 was 1, I was 2.5 stones over my pre-baby weight (I am sure I put a stone on after he was born!) and I lost all of that on slimming world in 4 months. Planning to do the same this time...

The way I see it, it is natural to put on weight during pregnancy - your body is storing fat away for breastfeeding and general pregnancy stuff. Within reason, I think pregnant women should eat what they want without being made to feel guilty about it (not cheese / cake - or cheesecake for that matter, for every meal of course) as pregnancy isn't a walk in the park by any standards and we deserve treats now and then!

I'm not encouraging anyone to be unhealthy or to gain an immense amount of weight, just saying that it isn't the be all and end all to get back in your pre-pregnancy jeans within a week of giving birth. If you are naturally slim and maintain it through pregnancy then good for you. If you 'fill out' a bit when expecting, then good for you too.

toffeeboffin Thu 11-May-17 17:31:03

11kg is 24 pounds - it's not that bad OP!

I put on three and a half stone with both my pregnancies.

And I ate a lot less in the second one, but I still gained the same amount of weight confusedhmm

toffeeboffin Thu 11-May-17 17:31:38

That's 22kg altogether.

User246810 Thu 11-May-17 17:46:49

I find when I'm pregnant my body stops automatically telling me I'm hungry or full, so I have to really think about if I do or don't actually need to eat and stop eating for the sake of it.

Usually I'm really in tuned with my hunger or if I'm full.

haveacupoftea Thu 11-May-17 18:03:21

37 weeks and have 6 kilos on, of which baby is estimated to weigh 4. I was overweight to start with so only allowed to gain between 5-9 kilos. Hoping to weigh myself afterwards to find pregnancy has miraculously made me slim grin

iamreginaphalange Thu 11-May-17 18:06:01

@Lunalovepud
Agree with you on this. ...

It took 9 months to put on all of this extra weight on and I will take just as long to get rid off it.. 😉

Qtipsrsweet Thu 11-May-17 18:26:42

I gained 4st, however I did eat like an absolute pig the whole way through.
Baby was 11lbs and the placenta was 5lbs: they weighed it (gross) cause they'd never seen one so big. Was also induced two weeks early cause she was such a porker.

Amz26 Thu 11-May-17 18:57:57

Toffee yes it is a lot but I really don't know how I've gained so much! oh well it's done now I'm going to try and keep the weight down from now on!

I know I can get the weight down after as I can't stay like this forever 😊 I think I did go a little crazy to start with tho x

Sparklyuggs Thu 11-May-17 19:38:55

I'm at 15kg at 29 weeks. I'm not eating differently, and was quite slim to start with so the midwife said it's probably just fluid. I have a big bump but little weight gain elsewhere. I lost 3 stone with weight watchers and I plan on rejoining once the baby is here and I get the sign off to do so.

CatRash Thu 11-May-17 19:58:49

At 26 weeks I'd put on about 12.5kg - now 29 weeks but dare not weigh myself anymore!!! Bump is measuring spot on so can't blame baby!!

Giving up caring a bit now - what's the point in worrying about it. I'm not going to start dieting or suddenly take up jogging at this point in my pregnancy!!

KittyWindbag Fri 12-May-17 00:54:56

I'm at 38 weeks and have gained about 10kg. Everyone is different, I do believe the body does what it needs to do in pregnancy.

How do you think your overall diet's been? If you're eating pretty balanced meals then don't obsess. Weight gain seems to slow down and speed up at various times during pregnancy.

Emma2803 Fri 12-May-17 09:35:03

If it makes you feel any better op I put on 30kg in my first pregnancy! And had lost 20kg by the time baby was 3 weeks. So 20kg pregnancy related, 10kg cake and lucozade related!!
You have a baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, 50% increased blood volume and in my case a lot of fluid retained in my legs and lower bump!
I was too heavy before I got pregnant and did put on too much weight but I have a beautiful healthy two year old so I don't mind too much. Please try not to worry too much, everyone is different. I would agree with pp about eating a balanced healthy diet. I would say limit refined carbs such as sweets, crisps, cake etc but still eat healthy one like wholemeal bread and pasta, brown rice, potatoes etc. You still need energy.
Hopefully I will follow my own advice this time around I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant with #2

MissBax Fri 12-May-17 15:27:06

You only need an extra 100 calories for first trimester, 200 for second and 300 for third - the equivalent of 2 pieces of toast! I've been eating pretty much what I like and not done a great deal of exercise and have put on 12lbs (about 6kg). Just keep an eye on it as it does sound a bit high x

Algebraic Fri 12-May-17 15:48:43

11kg up at 30 weeks. Started with the aim to only put on 28lbs/13kg ish for the whole thing but I feel I'll go over that. I'm ravenously hungry all the time and exercise has been limited due to sciatica and PGP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now