Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Protein in urine

(7 Posts)
Cantthinkofaname123 Wed 10-May-17 20:30:33

Hi I'm 37+1 and had a check with the midwife today and once again had traces of protein in my urine. She turned up at my house a couple of hours ago to advise me that the results have come back and the amount of protein is increasing so I have to go into the maternity unit tomorrow morning for monitoring. My blood pressure is normal and I have no swelling or any other signs of pre eclampsia. I'm just wondering if anyone has had PE without the usual symptoms? Midwife said as everything else is normal there's no need to worry but there's a part of me that can't help but do so.

Fairy45 Wed 10-May-17 21:41:13

I had this but had all other symptoms but i remember they wanted you to do mid stream urine sample cos something like the protien can just be on your vagina n contaminate the urine. Said the urine sample is least reliable test for PE. They will do bloods n listen in n do numerous urine tests im sure. But its good they are checking you out especially at this stage, maybe an idea to take your hospital bag in case they keep you in. I got caught out like that! Good luck!!

SarahOoo Wed 10-May-17 21:45:19

I developed PE during labour & had trace protein a couple of times at midwife checks. However the last two I had no protein in my urine. I had puffy feet and face and midwife always said it was normal!

Cantthinkofaname123 Wed 10-May-17 22:01:38

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to see what tomorrow brings. I asked the midwife if she thinks there's a chance I might not be leaving the hospital tomorrow and she said she doubts it but obviously can't guarantee it. Bag is all packed I'm unsure whether to take it though. As much as I'm ready for my baby to be born now I could be doing with another week or so! Fingers crossed it's not PE I've to take a swab in with me as well as well Fairy so could be what you're saying.

Cantthinkofaname123 Mon 15-May-17 20:23:03

UPDATE - I went along to my appointment the next morning had bloods etc done and since my blood pressure was normal and I had no other symptoms I was told to go home and they would call with my blood results. Was only home a couple of hours when I got a call to go back up as the doctor wanted to discuss my results. I asked should I bring a bag and was told no just bring my notes so wasn't concerened. Arrived to be told I had a very severe case of pre eclampsia called HELLP Syndrome and they had to induce labour now. To say I was shocked was an understatement!

By the time I got taken down to the labour suite I instantly swelled and my blood pressure was sky high. 7 hours later I delivered a very lucky baby girl.

Please anyone who suspects there's something wrong always get it checked out. I was always anxious during my pregnancy which resulted in weekly midwife appointment in the last few weeks. If it hadn't been for me being anxious I wouldn't have had that appointment on Wednesday and wouldn't have been seen by the midwife until tomorrow. They've told me if it had been left any longer then the outcome for both of us would have been very different. Always trust your instinct and don't be fobbed off.

mysecret321 Mon 15-May-17 20:44:44

I'm glad it all turned out ok, must've been very scary at the time x

Fairy45 Mon 15-May-17 21:09:52

Congratulations!!! Glad the staff were all on the ball and hope you are feeling much better now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now