Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anomalies at early scans

(6 Posts)
Lemondrop09 Wed 10-May-17 17:46:09

So I'm waiting for my 20 week anomaly scan but I don't get this until I'm almost 22 weeks. I've still got another 2 weeks to wait and I'm starting to get twitchy about it!

I had a private scan at 11 weeks, NHS dating scan at 12 weeks and a private gender scan at 17 weeks.

Now I know the 12 week scan is only really for dating and checking the nuchal fold, and the gender scan was primarily to check gender. However the private scans also did general well being checks and said baby looked great.

Are some anomalies obvious before the 20 week mark? I realise that it's unlikely that anyone has looked at baby's heart etc in any detail yet, but I'm thinking cranial abnormalities or spina bifida might have become apparent and been picked up before now? Or am I just clutching at straws here?!

boombin Wed 10-May-17 17:51:08

Try to find something else to focus on for the next 2 weeks to make it go quicker.

Sorry I can't offer any answers flowers but worrying/obsessing will not do your baby any good. Easier said than done I know xx

MissBax Wed 10-May-17 17:54:50

The private scans specifically state that they aren't carrying out medical assessments. I didn't have mine till 21+ weeks, I would honestly just try to relax smile x

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 10-May-17 18:00:57

Yes, lots of anomalies are picked up before 20 weeks. My first baby had a cystic hygroma which was picked up on the first scan.

Agree with others, worrying won't help. Try to relax, pg yoga maybe? If you want something to read to try and take your mind off the scan, try Baby Calming by Caroline Deaconsmile

Lemondrop09 Wed 10-May-17 18:01:09

I know. I'm a constant worrier 🙄

boombin Wed 10-May-17 18:19:30

Is there anything else you can worry about instead? E.g. Getting the baby's room ready, shopping for the baby essentials, baby clothes etc. finding the perfect hospital bag? Or obsessing over which pram to get? That distracted me from morning sickness for a good few weeks!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now