Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dog owners?

(16 Posts)
JessicaFletcher16 Wed 10-May-17 16:21:23

Hi, first time poster after a lot of lurking! Just wondering those of you with dogs how you managed with your baby? We are expecting our first baby later in the year and have two dogs who we would like to prepare as much as possible. They currently sleep in our bedroom so I am thinking of trying to change this habit, though am pretty sure that when the baby is here they will want to sleep elsewhere anyway as they are lazy and don't like their sleep being disturbed! grin Any tips or ideas at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

JJ1612 Wed 10-May-17 17:00:31

I've just had my baby and was really worried about how my dog would react (he's a chihuahua and a spoilt one at that!) When we first brought her home he was trying to jump at me when I held her. He also went crazy, smelling absolutely everything. We put her in her Moses basket and he yelped to look in so we let him and once he'd had a sniff and a look he just wanted to play with his toys. He sleeps in our bed also and for the first couple of nights would pop out and look in the basket every few hours but now she's two weeks old and he doesn't even bother with her. It does help him being a smaller dog tho. I've tried not to change his routine or make him feel left out.

BeanSprout79 Wed 10-May-17 17:08:13

Hi,

I'm also due later in the year and is my first. We have been getting our dog used to the sounds of babies, we play him screaming babies on YouTube and he seems to be getting used to it now as at first he used to run and hide. A book I bought suggests that you try not to change their routines as much as possible and include them in as much as you can. They also say when you are having the baby and due to bring the baby home to have wrapped the baby in a blanket that you can let the dog 'have' so he has the smell of the baby and it then isn't such a shock when you come home with the baby.

JessicaFletcher16 Wed 10-May-17 17:51:49

Thank you for the reply JJ, it's good to hear your experience and that it is going well. Mine are both smallish breeds and rather spoilt, they are both rescue dogs and one can be a little nervous so may be challenging to start with! Having said that they have both met babies and been fine with them, curious but not nervous at all! Good luck with your two smile

JessicaFletcher16 Wed 10-May-17 17:54:11

Thank you Beansprout! Some great suggestions, have tried the baby crying noises once or twice for short periods and they have been tilting their heads in curiosity, then seem to ignore it! So hopefully that is a good sign! What book have you got, sounds useful?

JessicaFletcher16 Wed 10-May-17 17:58:18

Oh, forgot to say congratulations on your baby girl JJ smile

newbie87 Wed 10-May-17 19:20:36

I am expecting my first baby in september so currently in the same situation as you! I have 2 dogs too, i like the idea of giving them a blanket that smells of baby, i also plan on taking mine out for a walk with the pram before baby gets here so they dont freak out when they have to walk so close to it! Watching out for any other advice on this post xx

leighdinglady Wed 10-May-17 19:30:21

Our dog trainer has advised us (due later this year) to get a doll! Gets them used to you carrying something around and not be able to jump up when you have the doll. Also get them used to smells like baby lotion

Scroobius Wed 10-May-17 19:55:14

When I had my first we had a big Labrador who was well known for being bonkers. He just seemed to know what she was and she was part of the family, he'd lie down next to her carrycot but never try to go on it and followed anyone who was carrying her but never jumped up at them. In fairness though we're not really routine people and he was used to children if not babies. I think it's important not to fuss if the dogs go near the baby (my mum did this and it drove me insane) let them have a sniff but always with your hand on their collar so they get to feel like this is one of their humans too.

Barnes79 Thu 11-May-17 11:00:27

My first LO is due in just over 2 weeks and I have a medium sized anxious dog.

I got the book "How to tell your dog you're expecting" which came with baby noises on a CD. I've also done a practice walk with the pram (after having the pram assembled for a couple of weeks and getting the dog to eat a couple of biscuits off the wheel). I've also bought a couple of baby gates (which are already in place) as my dog goes mad if separated from us but I wanted a way of leaving the baby safely in a room if I needed to eg. Go to the loo, get a drink etc.

My dog used to sleep on the bed so we've changed that so he now sleeps on his own bed in the bedroom. The crib has been assembled for a month so he's used to that.

We've also got a re-referral to a behaviourist (he saw one 5 years ago due to some anxiety-related aggression) so that if anything does crop up we can get it nipped in the bud.

Hekabe Thu 11-May-17 12:16:50

Hiya - watching with anticipation! Ours is due in 8 weeks and we have two dogs ourselves.

they sleep downstairs though, so I'm hoping that's not too much of a transition for them? We've been leaving out the new (well, old!) baby stuff for them as we heard it's good for them to get familiar with buggies etc. The lotion thing is a good idea though think we'll try that.

One of our dogs is actually a puppy - she'll nearly be a year old and a spaniel so a bit bonkers - I'm hoping this will actually make her grow up a tad!

We left a box out on the floor of things a friend has bought us: nappies, baby grows, lotion... Puppy was very interested but just sniffed and went on her merry way!

Noises... hadn't thought of that though.

Gannetseatfish Thu 11-May-17 18:09:48

We have an elderly Irish setter and a now nearly 2 year old DS. Had no problems when the baby first came home, the dog went in a bit of a huff for a few weeks but never displayed any concerning behaviour. Our house is on 2 floors and I quickly realised I was going to have to leave baby in bouncy chair and dog in basket downstairs to get stuff but it was fine. Once DS was up and about it was more of an issue as he loves the dog and clambers all over her and sometimes bites her out of affection! She is very docile though. Getting out for walks can also be a bit difficult with winter weather and what not but we always manage. Good luck with it all!

Maggy74653 Thu 11-May-17 18:14:44

I have two dogs and my little girl is 13 days old. I was a little worried how they would cope but to be honest they have been brill. They ignore her most of the time, give her the occasional sniff if she's making a funny noise. I would definitely train yours out of sleeping in your room before your little one arrives just to make things easier. We didn't really prepare in any way just got on with it and everything sort of fell into place.

ElleMcElle Thu 11-May-17 18:32:03

Following this thread with interest - only 5+1, but already worrying about how our VERY active dog will respond!

actino Fri 12-May-17 07:44:33

I'm expecting my first in November and have an anxious lurcher, so this advice has been helpful.

You also need to think about what to do when your baby takes an interest in the dog. A friends one year old just realised that the dog is a living thing that will happily accept food, so they're changing up their baby feeding routine to avoid her getting a nip when feeding the dog.

Wombletor Fri 12-May-17 18:20:08

I had 2 dogs when i was expecting DS. We played baby crying noises on YouTube to our young dog (the old girl was very experienced) and I sat with a doll in my arms. When I brought Ds home from hospital we lay him on the mat and both dogs sniffed and licked him and seemed to be very happy. The old girl like to sleep close to wherever he was ( she was the same 5 years earlier when my Dd was born) and the young dog slept on the end of the bed. She was very protective of him, she would sit as a barrier between any visitor and Ds, and even now when we're out walking she won't have anyone go near her boy, she's by his side! They have a great relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now