Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long were you in labour for?

(76 Posts)
obem Tue 09-May-17 21:32:54

Hi everyone,

I'm pregnant with my first and even though I'm not due till much later this year I'm having terrible paranoia that I'll be in labour and there won't be any delivery rooms available and I'll give birth on the hospital floor or something will go wrong if I'm made to wait and baby will get distressed in the womb.

My local hospital has 14 delivery rooms and stats on their website said they delivered 5300 babies last year. That works out to be about 14 babies a day. But not everyone women will be in and out in a day?! Or will they? I've heard of women being in labour for many many hours (like 20+) confused

What happens if all the delivery rooms are taken when I present myself to labour ward?!

I've had 5 mc's (worst one at 13 weeks) in the past so you can forgive my paranoia that I don't want anything to go wrong.

Chintaria Tue 09-May-17 21:37:57

My first labour was 11 hours, second was 6 hours. I know this can be an anxious time, not knowing what's going to happen, but I think you need to just trust that all will be well and think positively. Maybe ask your midwife/doctor whether there's ever been a problem with all the room being taken next time you see them, and hopefully they'll put your mind at rest 😊

Aliveinwanderland Tue 09-May-17 21:40:27

From first noticeable twinge to baby being born- 13 hours. 5 of which were in hospital.

charlottexox Tue 09-May-17 21:40:57

I was in labour for 14 hours, I had an induction so it was a really quick labour for an induction! X

InDubiousBattle Tue 09-May-17 21:43:19

First labour- 30 hours. I had to be in hospital for the whole time but was on the post natal ward for a lot of that time, then mlu then delivery room.
Second labour-5 hours, went to hospital after 2.5 hours and never saw the delivery rooms!

CabbagePatchKid91 Tue 09-May-17 21:44:58

26 hours from start to finish. I was only at the hospital 3 hours before DD was born.
Sorry for your losses 💐

TwoBeams Tue 09-May-17 21:47:18

First was a 30 hour labour culminating in an emergency section. Second was an elective section.
Really sorry to hear of your losses flowers

LotisBlue Tue 09-May-17 21:49:35

When people say they were in labour for 20 hours they normally include early labour, when you can stay at home or (if there are complications) a labour ward. You only get a private room for active labour, which is much shorter.

If the delivery rooms are all full and you are in active labour then you may be sent to a different hospital.

Most first time labours are long and slow and the chances of you delivering before you get a room are slim.

My first labour was three days but that was mostly early labour. My second was only about six hours.

I hope this reassures you a bit!

Even if you did deliver without medical assistance, the chances are you would be fine anyway.

CassandraAusten Tue 09-May-17 21:51:32

In terms of time spent labouring while in hospital -

DC1 21 hours
DC2 40 mins
DC3 2 hours

NameChange30 Tue 09-May-17 21:52:38

Sorry for your losses flowers

Women don't usually go to hospital for the whole duration of their labour. You just go towards the end when your contractions are frequent and strong.

I suggest you talk about your anxieties with the midwife and hopefully she will be able to reassure you. If you're feeling anxious generally you might benefit from a perinatal mental health referral?

Wolfiefan Tue 09-May-17 21:52:45

My first I laboured at home for over 8 hours.
Into hospital. Baby born in 2 1/2 hours.
They then transferred me to a post natal ward. Labour ward is just for labour.

AnneElliott Tue 09-May-17 21:52:55

3 hours and 20 mins

MiniAlphaBravo Tue 09-May-17 21:55:25

I was in labour for 3 days first time and 5 hours 2nd time. First labour I only went to hospital when my waters had broken a bit and so did give birth within a day. I still count the earlier bit because they were recognizable contractions but I would have been sent home if I'd gone in cos they weren't close enough/regular enough. If there's no space when you call your local hospital you go to the next closest one. Or you could have a home birth which I did 2nd time round then you don't have to worry about being sent home or other people at all and you get two midwives with you at all times.

TheHyacinthGirl Tue 09-May-17 21:57:40

45 mins start to finish

Heirhelp Tue 09-May-17 21:59:13

I had an extra long labour but you don't go to hospital as soon as you are labour.

MrTumblesbitch Tue 09-May-17 22:02:22

My first labour was 4 hours. I arrived at the hospital at 10cm and was told they had no rooms. When they realised I was pushing they wheeled me down the end of a bloody long corridor, into what I assume to be a room that wasn't meant to be used.

Ds was in distress and needed a crash team, they just swooped in and dealt with. To be honest, at that point I genuinely wouldn't have minded giving birth in the corridor. I just didn't care!

YerAWizardHarry Tue 09-May-17 22:05:28

27hrs from being started on induction drip and ending in emergency section

MuffinMaiden Tue 09-May-17 22:07:00

Whole thing 15hrs, in hospital, 3 hrs. A friend of mine was in labour 56hrs total, 12hrs in hospital.

BentleyBelly Tue 09-May-17 22:10:59

First contraction around midday. Went into birth centre at 1am that night, baby born at 6am so 18hrs total. There are only 2 rooms at the little birth centre I went to and I had to wait in the lounge while my room was cleaned up after the last lady. I was 6cm when we turned up and everything was very chilled out and unrushed. Ask your midwife what happens in the unlikely event that all rooms are full and hopefully they will put your mind at rest.

BellMcEnd Tue 09-May-17 22:14:03

DC1 - 6 hours
DC2 - 6 hours
DC3 - 2 hours hmm. He's always been in a rush.

Congratulations but also sympatheties on your losses.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 09-May-17 22:17:51

Do they have a Midwife Led Unit as well as the delivery rooms? Just wondered as our hospital does and this avoubts for about a third of the birth figures. You might be able to find some information on Which Birth Choices. It might be worth talking to your MW as others have suggested. I'd ask her when yiu should go to the hospital too.

Agree that you just tend to go in for the birth, not the whole labour. My first started around 3 am but it was really just niggles and I did manage to doze till around 8am. Got to the delivery room at about 11am and delivered at 5.40.

Second time I had my first contraction at 11pm, got to hospital about 1 am and gave birth at 3.45 am.

You'll be fine smile

Bluebelltulip Tue 09-May-17 22:20:10

I was in labour for 36 hours, 20 hours at home, but don't worry about the hospital's capacity, as you can see labours vary considerably.

harleysmammy Tue 09-May-17 22:20:31

I had my first baby 11 days ago, from waters breaking to him being born was 2 hours 35 minutes. Everyone's different x

harleysmammy Tue 09-May-17 22:22:13

Sorry, forgot to say my waters breaking was when I got the first tightening so it was the start of my labour x

Lolabee Tue 09-May-17 22:23:31

Start to finish 7 hours. 5 of those in the mwu. Was transferred up to a ward after as dd was 5lb 12oz so we had to stay in overnight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now