Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Going to festival at 18 weeks pregnant

(23 Posts)
MsBranwen Mon 08-May-17 13:23:58

I've got tickets to a really nice small folky festival at the end of the month and I'll be 18 weeks at the time. I'll be camping for the weekend in a beautiful Welsh valley. It's not too late to cancel if it turns out to seem like a dreadful idea, but I would really like to go if people don't think it sounds too risky.

Has anyone else been to a festival whilst pregnant and if so what top tips do you have?

Thanks in advance.

LittleWingSoul Mon 08-May-17 13:29:42

I have been to rowdy hip hop shows whilst very heavily preg and the only issue was no seating and trying to get in with a bottle of gaviscon - female bouncer wanted to chuck it as contraband until a kindly male bouncer clocked... His wife was preg so he understood!

If you can take an airbed, that might be a good shout. And interesting drinks as it will probably mainly be booze on offer!

I don't think I could hack it personally as I associate festivals with having many a drink and letting go, but that's just me!

EsmesBees Mon 08-May-17 13:30:36

I went at about 13 weeks to Green Man, camped there for a few days before too. It was fine. A few occasions where I could have done with shorter loo queues, and.I missed being able to have a drink, but otherwise it was fine. I guess my only tip would be to tell other people in the queue that you are pregnant if you really are bursting (as presumably you are not showing much yet)

daisygirlmac Mon 08-May-17 13:34:21

I went to Leeds festival at 20 weeks, it was great smile all I would say is don't underestimate how tired you will get, it was a really muddy year at Leeds last year and there was literally nowhere to sit down and I wished I had taken a folding chair. Enjoy!

Paninotogo Mon 08-May-17 13:36:01

A small folk festival? I really wouldn't worry.

Caterina99 Mon 08-May-17 14:42:11

Depends on how you are feeling really. With my first preganany at 19 weeks I went on a hen weekend. Activities all day, clubbing, sleeping on a deflating air bed on a freezing floor. No one would've been able to tell I was pregnant and I faired better than some of my mates (no hangover). The worst part was clubbing with no alcohol!

I'm now 17 weeks with my second. Am exhausted by 8pm every night and feel enormous. That weekend would be a major struggle for me.

glastogal Mon 08-May-17 14:50:44

I'm going to Glasto 17 weeks pregnant and I know it's going to be fine!! My only concern is if it goes to sticky mud as I will be too scared to walk around!

BeautifulLiar Mon 08-May-17 15:36:54

I'll be about 24 weeks when I go to Leeds festival in August. Rather gutted I can't get pissed but I only wanted to see Eminem anyway!

InDubiousBattle Mon 08-May-17 15:44:22

Too risky? I can't think of a single risk! You might not enjoy it as much as if you weren't pregnant but I can't see the risk. I went to a couple of local festivals when pregnant with ds (my first)and it was fine. Too big and knackered with dd!

MsBranwen Mon 08-May-17 16:42:04

Thanks everyone! I think I'm just such an anxious mum-to-be that I'm worried about doing anything 'wrong', but you've all been very reassuring. One of my worries is about what on earth I'll eat as I still have so many aversions, but think I'll just pack plenty of biscuits and then I definitely won't starve!

purplek1tty Mon 08-May-17 17:50:00

I'm off to Download Festival at (all being well) 12 weeks! We've upgraded to Glamping - (Pre-pitched tent + proper airbed) and will 100% be one of those annoying people with a camping chair I'm the arena! We go every year and although I know it will be different this year with no ale, I see it as a good last opportunity to enjoy ourselves pre baby.

Go and enjoy yours, it'll be great but go prepared with a bit more comfort than you usually would smile

katkitkat Mon 08-May-17 18:06:38

I personally couldn't hack it, still sick, so tired all the time and achy. I need my bed and home comforts during pregnancy.

If you feel well and not really suffering with any of the unpleasant symptoms then go for it, it's only a bad idea if you don't feel upto it.

10Betty10 Mon 08-May-17 18:11:46

Go for it and have an amazing time! I'm 30 weeks ATM and have been to lots of gigs throughout pregnancy- I've noticed people are super accommodating when you are pregnant at music events- so ham it up whilst you can! I've got a festival at the end of this month (so will be nearly 34 weeks) but have gone for a day ticket as may be pushing it slightly to do more at that size!

DappledThings Mon 08-May-17 19:04:07

I went to Green Man at 17 weeks and did the camping before like EsmesBees. Only issue was trying to hold in wee so I didn't have to go to loo in the dark every night and that ended up with me getting a UTI so don't do that!

Wombletor Mon 08-May-17 19:11:56

Go and enjoy yourself! Take a folding umbrella type chair, light to carry and handy to sit on. An airbed, lots of pillows to get comfy at night. Take plenty of water so you always have a drink and your own loo roll for the festival Loos. I would take food too, so you always have a snack and comfy shoes/wellies.

ArcticMumkey Mon 08-May-17 19:47:13

I went to Glastonbury at 10 weeks pregnant, was absolutely fine but I had no sickness and was feeling well overall. Make sure you take ear plugs so you can try and get some decent sleep.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 08-May-17 19:49:02

I worked security at a festival whilst 8 and a half months pregnant. It was great fun - people were friendly and it was a good ice breaker - although I did do a more sedentary role than bouncing. As long as you go easy it should be fine.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 08-May-17 19:53:04

I went to T in the Park when 35 weeks pregnant!! Top tip is a portable chair. A small folk festival when you'll be barely showing is no biggy honestly, unless you're with a group of people who are planning to drink and rave until the wee small hours, that would be tough to keep up with.

fishfingerSarnies Mon 08-May-17 21:46:45

What festival it sounds lovely... misses point

MsBranwen Tue 09-May-17 16:41:38

Thanks all! Think now I can just look forward to it and hope it doesn't rain too much (it's Fire in the Mountain festival in Wales, totally recommend it if scenic folky is your thing!)

Joelo55 Sat 13-May-17 19:34:59

I'll be going to Glastonbury at 35 weeks pregnant this year. Thankfully we have a camper so will have own toilet and comfy bed to sleep on and hubby has said he'll carry a chair round for me. We intend to make it a really chilled one this year instead of our usual manic running around and spend more time in the circus and cabaret fields. You should be fine, just plan that you might get a little more tired than usual grin

mswales Mon 15-May-17 22:01:10

Hi MsBranwen, I'll be going to FITM at 26 weeks pregnant and I think it will be great! Home-cooked food, always loads of places to sit down, such a relaxed happy atmosphere and even fresh mountain water to bathe in! Perfect pregnancy festival smile

Thingymaboob Mon 15-May-17 22:29:09

My friend went to Glastonbury at 6 months pregnant. She stayed away from the really really busy areas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now