Talk

Advanced search

I'm overthinking Moses baskets - please help!

(44 Posts)
BobbleHat42 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:03:31

Does anyone have any recommendations? I want a Moses basket where the straps don't fall in to the basket and bother the baby (actually I'll need 2 as I'm having twins).

I'd like a rocking stand (are they a good idea?) which would live in the bedroom and then I'd carry the Moses baskets down to the living room during the day for naps (first time mum so this is my best guess as to what will work for us - not really got a clue).

I'm looking on Amazon and really overthinking reviews (are the sheets soft enough, is the mattress comfy enough, does the mattress provide a good flat support for the baby's back etc). Driving myself potty. Also can't seem to find a Moses basket and stand that are the same make so guaranteed to fit each other...

I have the fear I'm going to go into early labour as it's twins so I really want to get somewhere for them to sleep asap - any opinions?

memyselfandaye Sun 30-Apr-17 12:07:13

I had a Clair de Lune with a rocking stand, it did the job.

Wolfiefan Sun 30-Apr-17 12:08:19

I have had two kids and never used a Moses basket!
Travel cot downstairs.
Cot or crib upstairs.

spacefrog35 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:10:24

We had this one www.mamasandpapas.com/en-gb/white-moses-basket/p/7700b0000/ it's shown on the solid stand but also can come with a rocking base. DD was perfectly happy in it until she was about 16 weeks old. In the picture the straps are showing as flopping down but ours stuck straight up. They were far too stiff to fall in and annoy her.

Helbelle75 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:10:51

We weren't going to have one, but decided as soon as littlevinecwas home that she's need one downstairs to nap in.
We got the babies r us love you to the stars which fits a Clair de lune stand.
She sleeps in it brilliantly and it's easy to transport. We're even using it at night at the moment as she's a bit little for her next 2 me yet.
Congratulations an I'm sure you'll figure it all out.

FATEdestiny Sun 30-Apr-17 12:11:39

Full sized cot in your bedroom.

Bouncy chairs for nap down stairs.

NameChange30 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:12:45

We don't have a Moses basket. We have a bedside crib upstairs - it's a Snuzpod and you can take it downstairs but it's heavy so we don't bother. At first we used the carrycot (on the pram) downstairs. But after a few weeks we bought a Sleepyhead so he sleeps in that, either upstairs or downstairs. They're expensive though so I don't know whether I'd want to buy two for twins!

NameChange30 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:13:52

He sometimes naps in his bouncer chair too, it's a BabyBjorn one and you can recline it pretty flat.

randomsabreuse Sun 30-Apr-17 12:15:53

Have 2 stands per basket- upstairs and downstairs. Twins are likely to be basket sized longer than singles (my 9th percentile single was in her basket 5 months).

We have a dog so never had basket on floor to be fair but having rocking options (with a foot while you eat frantically) downstairs is handy...

DirtyDancing Sun 30-Apr-17 13:39:01

Pop into your nearest John Lewis/ mothercare/ Mamas and Papas and have a look. They are all fairly similar to be honest. Our LO never took to a Moses basket and we used a bednest this time we have a snuzpod. Depending on the expected size of your babies they can grow out of them by 4-6 months, so don't spend a fortune on one.

GaladrielsRing Sun 30-Apr-17 13:41:08

George at ASDA are fairly reasonable price wise.

TheEagle Sun 30-Apr-17 13:46:19

With our twins we had a full size cot downstairs and another upstairs.

They napped in their bouncy chairs a lot for the first few months.

I used a Moses basket for my singleton but he was far more comfy in bed with mama. Hence I didn't use them for DTs smile

ColdCottage Sun 30-Apr-17 13:51:57

My son didn't like how flimsy his Moses basket was so wasn't in it long (moved to bedside crib - not sure how that would work with twins?)

Can you borrow a couple to see if they like them first. There are usually loads going spare - I had offers of about 4 when I was expecting.

Again I also used bouncing chairs down stairs - and in the bathroom - 15 min baths for me.

NameChange30 Sun 30-Apr-17 14:16:42

I think the Chicco Next 2 Me is quite wide so maybe you could put both twins in it together? Or just have a regular cot in the bedroom, with the side down if you want it next to your bed.

You'll probably get more advice on what to use for twins in the multiples section.

Eeeeek2 Sun 30-Apr-17 15:26:03

What pram do you have? Does it have carrycots that can be used on the floor such as the bugaboo donkey if so use these downstairs.

Carrying the Moses baskets down stairs sounds like a faff. you can't safely do it with baby inside, so take baby out place ....? carry Moses basket down, back up fetch child then repeat?!

Oly5 Sun 30-Apr-17 15:27:49

Neither of mine would sleep in the Moses basket! We went striaght to bedside cot

Rockspin Sun 30-Apr-17 15:29:28

Don't spend a fortune, I bought a gorgeous moses basket with dd1 and she absolutely hated it. I ended up giving it away! Haven't bothered this time round.

Heirhelp Sun 30-Apr-17 15:30:29

I echo the question about the pram. We had a uppababy and the bassinate was suitable for overnight sleeping.

GlitterGlassEye Sun 30-Apr-17 15:35:21

Had a Moses basket for dc1 and he hated it so didn't bother with another for dc2 and dc3. I did however get gifted a poddle pod and it was fab.

neonrainbow Sun 30-Apr-17 15:53:08

I'm just getting through this stage with my twins (Congratulations by the way, twins are amazing) i did exactly as you suggest ... sleep in moses baskets at night and took the baskets downstairs in the day as mine were small so didn't want them in bouncy chairs as there was no support for their necks. I didn't bother with stands downstairs but if you are going to take them up and down the stairs then get folding ones. My moses baskets were £25 each from tesco including a mattress and i got stands for free off people i know - they were fine.

At night once mine were big enough i have put them in a cot bed together, one at each end with their feet touching the ends of the cotbed. Mothercare were running a promotion to get a free mattress worth £90 with any cotbed purchase so keep your eyes peeled.

NotAnotherUserName5 Sun 30-Apr-17 18:30:02

On the mattress issue, I've always bought a separate mattress to the cheap awful ones that they seem to come with.
Moses basket stands are standard size usually, so I wouldn't worry.

I've opted for a crib(wish I'd done this with my other 3!)this time around, but I'd highly recommend green sheep organic mattresses.

BobbleHat42 Sun 30-Apr-17 18:51:20

Thank you so much everyone for your kind and helpful responses. I think I was just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all, there are so many variables!

Interesting to know that Moses baskets are not really safe for carrying with baby in them as that was the main reason I thought they'd be a good idea...

We're not getting the carrycot sections for our chosen pram as they're too expensive and we can't fit 2 to the pram at the same time. That would have been a great option for downstairs sleeping though...

I might do shared cot for upstairs nighttime sleeping and then either try a couple of cheap Moses baskets for the first couple of months for downstairs or if the babies are big enough just get reclining bouncy chairs. Off to google some more... smile

Thanks namechange for the multiples section tip. Didn't realise it was there and it looks really useful. Thanks again to everyone - great to hear your first hand experiences x

thinkfast Sun 30-Apr-17 18:51:46

Neither of mine would sleep in a Moses basket. Sleepyhead in a cot was a godsend for dd. Don't know about twins....do people put them in a crib together?

Eeeeek2 Sun 30-Apr-17 20:31:45

www.tinylove.com/uk_en/baby-gear/3-in-1-rocker-napper-red

I have this in the living room it's great and still getting used at 6 months and will do for a while yet.

Good thing about it is you can rock with your foot, which would be even more handy with twins I'd imagine

pastabest Sun 30-Apr-17 20:43:52

I use a purflo nest for DD downstairs and she sleeps in it upstairs in a full size cot next to my bed. You would be able to get two in a full size cot.

They have just put the price up by about £10 though which is a shame.

www.superdrug.com/Baby/Baby%27s-Nursery/PurFlo-Breathable-Portable-Baby-Nest-Elephant/p/726467?gclid=CjwKEAjwlpbIBRCx4eT8l9W26igSJAAuQ_HG7150zE7Pa9xnmnirq4cbODicEzSsIKsrjBIrLqseWxoC_pHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now