Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slapped cheek

(28 Posts)
Goosey84 Sat 29-Apr-17 19:54:29

Hello,

just wondering if there are any teachers out there who have had slapped cheek virus in their school but not in their class?

There have been five cases in the past few weeks and the school nurse has been sending an email each time reminding pregnant woman to contact GP if they have been in close contact. Although the kids weren't in my year group, they have siblings in the 'affected' year group (sounds awful!). Also my friends teach those children so might be carrying the virus.

I spoke to the gp, who advised me to get a blood test at the hospital. The doctor at the hospital has signed me off work until I get the results back (TWO weeks!). I feel awful about telling work, especially as the summer term is very busy but don't want to put junior at risk (I'm 15 weeks). Had a private blood test today and they will get result to me by weds and hopefully I'll be immune.

I guess my question is: do you think it is over the top taking time off work if slapped cheek is not in my class? If caught, it's 11% chance of miscarriage which seems high.

sorry for the waffle-just interested to know other people's opinions/experiences.

Lucinda15 Sat 29-Apr-17 20:01:28

I don't think it's over the top at all. The virus is in the school and spreading. Why wait till it's in ur class?? Not only is there a risk of miscarriage but also complications in later pregnancy with oedema and possible blood transfusions etc etc. It's just not worth the worry or the risk. I'm not a teacher but have friends who are and who have been instantly signed off when it's been in their school. My DS's best friend also caught slapped cheek when I was 15 weeks pregnant and I took my son out of school to avoid any possible spread to him (probably closing the stable door after horse has bolted but we felt very anxious about follwing history of recurrent miscarriages). I had the blood test which thankfully showed I'm immune even though I don't recall having it before and neither does my mum. But obviously I had, and all our anxieties were wiped away and DS went back to school. Hope blood test shows u are immune too! Apparently it's very common and can go unnoticed like in my case so fingers crossed for u. But please don't feel guilty. Put urself and baby first, it is a risk and not one worth taking. X

Goosey84 Sat 29-Apr-17 20:11:48

Thank you so much for that reply Lucinda15-you've made me feel much better. You are absolutely right, I shouldn't wait until the virus reaches my year group.

I think my advice to newly pregnant woman (especially those who work/spend time with young children) is ask for the blood test at the booking appointment. I'm surprised that It's not more spoken about-seems very common and it can be extremely harmful to pregnant women.

That's great you're immune. Hopefully I am too. Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.
Xx

vfoster Sat 29-Apr-17 20:43:28

I'm a teacher and it was in my school (staff not pupils) over the past few weeks. I was told by the midwives that people are mostly contagious before they get any symptoms so it's best that you're off work at the moment just to be sure.
I had the blood test and was told that most treachery/people who work with kids are immune without even knowing.
My results came back that I was immune and have no recollection of ever having it!

vfoster Sat 29-Apr-17 20:46:46

Teacher not treachery, blummin' pregnancy brain!

knaffedoff Sat 29-Apr-17 20:53:38

My son had slapped cheek and whilst his teacher wasn't pregnant, there was a teacher in school pregnant and she was signed off for two weeks as a precaution.

Coffeepleeeaase Sat 29-Apr-17 20:59:52

Hello I experienced this whilst working in a nursery I was signed of until I was so many weeks ( where the risk isn't so high) as I had no immunity. I didn't think twice about it, and didnt feel bad at all. Although work wasn't happy and wanted me to come back even after I explained, showed my test results and my doctors note !

Goosey84 Sat 29-Apr-17 21:26:05

Thank you everyone for your messages. It's all pretty conclusive and makes me feel much better. This is my first step as being a mum-keeping my unborn out of harms way! Its reassuring to know that other schools have acted quickly too. Although coffeeeeplease-that's pretty awful that your school asked you to come back after seeing the doctors note! If you did, and if something happened....well, it doesn't bare thinking about!

Goosey84 Sat 29-Apr-17 21:27:05

Vfoster-that's great you are immune! I hope I have picked it up somewhere in life-either as a child or as a teacher. Fingers crossed for past infections!

Coffeepleeeaase Sat 29-Apr-17 21:36:37

Goosey84 my boss even text me whilst I was signed off that she had text her friend that was a doctor and that it would be fine ! All very unprofessional ! Funnily enough it wasn't long after going back from mat leave that I handed my notice in !

Michellemc1xo Sat 29-Apr-17 21:49:14

I didnt know slapcheek was dangerous for pregnant woman? My neice had it 2 weeks ago i babysat her the day before she started showing symptoms. She was fine the day i had her. I am now worried seeing ths thread

Goosey84 Sat 29-Apr-17 22:09:57

Michellemc1xo-how far along are you?

The chances of catching it are relatively low (there's 60% chance you have had the virus and are therefore immune) but it's worth calling your gp and getting blood tests (I went to the hospital for mine). Depending on where you are in your pregnancy, IF you have recently contracted it then the hospital will monitor your baby and there are transfusions they can do to rectify the harm.

Def get checked up though. It's better to know so it can be monitored xxx

Goosey84 Sat 29-Apr-17 22:10:48

Coffee please-my jaw ha dropped to the floor! Can't believe that was said!

Sunshinie Sat 29-Apr-17 22:24:23

I'm a primary teacher and we had it in school, not in my class but next door. I had to have a blood test to check for infection and immunity. Turns out I didn't have it but I also don't have any immunity. I've had a repeat test but not really sure what it's for. The midwife said they may try to arrange an extra scan but don't think it will happen. I was 32 weeks when we had it in school and if it had been earlier I think I would have stayed off. Apparently second trimester is the most dangerous time. The main problem is that once they have the read cheeks, it is no longer contagious, the only symptoms are cold-like, which most children have at the moment so you can't really look out for it. Hopefully you will be immune. I finish for maternity leave next week but I know I will be wary next time, now I know that I'm not. Think I need to try and catch it before getting pregnant again!

Goosey84 Sat 29-Apr-17 22:37:46

Ha-I know! I think slapped cheek parties are the way forward for peoplebefore they start trying for a baby. That's good you are so far along. It sounds like the virus is rife right now!

Enjoy maternity leave and good luck with the delivery. How exciting! x

Michellemc1xo Sat 29-Apr-17 22:41:50

@goosey84 im 25+3 I will deffs contact my midwife tomorrow to see what she says

MunchyMunchkin Sat 29-Apr-17 22:52:50

Shouldn't take two weeks as they can test your booking bloods which are stored in the lab. I had a result back within 48hrs after I was exposed at work. If negative they will advise repeat testing after a set time period(can't remember how many days) to see if you had contracted it so that you can have additional uss.

user1471512021 Sat 29-Apr-17 22:56:26

I was in exactly this situation. My doctor signed me off until I had results of my blood test. This took one week and showed I was immune. My head and deputy were not pleased I was off for a week after having been the ones to make sure I checked with my gp before coming in to work, which I did and then followed their advice. Really annoyed me that they tried to make me feel bad for following the doctors advice. Probably didn't help that I had only just come back from 5 weeks off due to hyperemesis. I'm leaving this job in the summer, this is only one of the many reasons why! Do what you need to, to look after you and baby, don't worry about work!

Passmethecrisps Sat 29-Apr-17 23:00:54

Just to add to the advice you have had.

I am a secondary teacher and very unusually we had one instance of slapped cheek when I was 11 weeks pregnant. I had done a cover class with the girl in while she was likely to be infectious.

I had the blood tests but it took 3 weeks for the results. All the while I was still at work.

I turns out I was not immune and there was a lot of uncertainty about what was best for me. My gp felt I should stay away from work until 20 weeks and this was agreed with my consultant. This was due to the specific nature of the teaching role I have which means lots of extended face to face with pupils and the fact that many older children have very mild symptoms so would not be aware they had it.

I ended up taking 2 weeks off until I was 18 weeks and the local consultant to my school had confirmed that there had been no further cases reported.

It was deeply unpleasant and I had to do a lot of chasing of repeated blood test results until they finally confirmed everything. At that stage I still wasn't feeling any movement from baby and many weeks has passed since my initial exposure.

On the plus side, they gave me an extra scan just to be absolutely sure all was well.

So in short (sorry for the essay) I would not hesitate to take the time off at least until you know you are immune. You can't properly protect yourself against a condition which has no symptoms in many of those carrying it.

Passmethecrisps Sat 29-Apr-17 23:03:54

Just read back to coffee's boss! That is appalling! My GP was quite the opposite to saying it was alright and told me that she had been exposed while pregnant so the whole thing felt very dear to her heart.

Thankfully my boss was extremely supportive and even though he was honest and said he didn't quite understand the anxiety, appreciated the situation was not about him. His kindness made a very hard situation much easier

fannydaggerz Sun 30-Apr-17 00:04:56

You're right to take the time off work to be on the safe side. I say that because a close friend was exposed to this and sadly lost her baby (there was a post mortem)

She's not sure where she was exposed as her school age child didn't have it, neither did any classmates and the school had not had any reports of it in other years.

miwelaisjacydo Sun 30-Apr-17 00:13:17

Glad your having the time off. The thing with slapped cheek is that it stops the body from producing white blood cells. So although it doesn't seem bad it's quite dangerous really.

Goosey84 Sun 30-Apr-17 08:06:59

@fannydaggerz-that is terribly sad; your poor friend. Awareness must be raised about this virus. It's terribly contagious by the sound of it. My mind is made up-no school for me until results are back. Thank you all for sharing your advice and experiences...

Goosey84 Sun 30-Apr-17 08:10:12

@Passmethecrisps-it sounds like everyone took it seriously and came to the best decision. I work with the older end of primary so I imagine they might not show it like the younger ones either.

I will use the time to sort jobs out for the school and, hopefully, make headway on my reports!

Spottyladybird Sun 30-Apr-17 08:19:07

I was sent home when I was pregnant because we had it in school! coffee that's appalling!

I'm immune, think I must have got it when half my class of year ones got it! As an adult it felt like an awful cold and I was really worn out- much like normal teaching life!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now