Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slow rising hcg

(8 Posts)
user1491111724 Fri 28-Apr-17 15:38:33

Hello

I am currently pregnant, not sure how far as I conceived straight after a miscarriage.

My hcg levels are rising but not doubling

They have gone

The epu arnt sure what's going on, and some have said they think it's ectopic and want me to have a methotrexate injection

I'm not in any pain and not bleeding

I had a scan which didn't show anything as was too early to see

I don't want to have the injection just yet Incase it could all be ok

Any advice or similar experiences ?

X

Camnico Sat 29-Apr-17 10:10:33

Hey OP, I don't have experience with this but I know if someone wanted me to have an injection (without being certain of where pregnancy is placed) I'd sure as hell not want to do it either. Although ectopics can be so serious so make sure you push for more scans.

Do you haven any idea at all how far along you could be? I know it would be hard to place all things considering xx

user1491111724 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:48:38

I had a miscarriage 5th April so you if you class this as last period then I am only 3/4 weeks ...
I am going back Tuesday and will def push for more scans and bloods ... will definitely be not having any injection untill they are certain it's failing. I am keeping an eye out for any pain but feel fine at the moment

Thank you for your response x

Camnico Sat 29-Apr-17 10:55:38

That's okay OP, please please look after yourself. As I said I have no experience with this but do they think it's ectopic because of the fast rise in HCG levels?

Keep us posted and I wish you all the best x

user1491111724 Sat 29-Apr-17 11:00:53

They think it's ectopic because of slow rinsing , because they arnt doubling every 48 hours ...
to be honest I don't think they even know what's going on themselves. Will keep you posted !!! Going back Tuesday x

Camnico Sat 29-Apr-17 11:17:00

I just found this..

A single hCG value doesn't give enough information about the health or viability of the pregnancy. Within the first 2 - 4 weeks after fertilization, hCG usually doubles every 48 - 72 hours. That usually corresponds to hCG levels below 1200 mIU/ml. From 1200 - 6000, the hCG usually takes 72-96 hours to double.

I can't believe they are trying to give you that injection without even knowingconfused

BiggerBoatNeeded Sat 29-Apr-17 11:33:48

I have had an ectopic pregnancy with slow rising HCG. As you know, your increase rates are relatively slow but could you use an online calculator to work out the double time (as PP said upper limit of normal is about 72 hours not 48)?

The epu will be understandably anxious for you as a ruptured Fallopian tube is dangerous and if you wait until you need surgery they could well end up removing the tube if it is a tubal pregnancy. However methotrexate is not to be taken lightly either - we were unable to ttc for 3 months after having the injection due to risk of neural tube defects (it basically saps folic acid to stop the embryo growing).

There is also the option of watchful waiting which is basically keeping a close eye on you and your HCG levels and repeat scanning if levels get high enough to see something on a scan. If my HCG levels had been lower I would have gone for that option I think (they reached 3000 with no evidence of uterine pregnancy, so it clearly wasn't going to resolve) but it's very personal decision involving decisions about the level of risk you are willing to take and also your doctors may have strong opinions on what you should do.

flowers at this worrying time.

SleepFreeZone Sat 29-Apr-17 11:37:00

I have read so many different stories online. My own example ended in a miscarriage I'm afraid. The numbers never really went anywhere and eventually I bled out. It too a good month though and then two weeks of bleeding. I remember at the time I read many stories of women who had slow hcg numbers but did go on to have a successful pregnancy. So I think there is hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now