Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Hospital Bag

(9 Posts)
Crisscrosscranky Thu 27-Apr-17 19:32:09

Right, I'm 29 weeks so thinking about starting to collect some bits for my hospital bag. I've got the basics- big pants, pads, clothes for baby etc. but anything else that you'd recommend?

What did you wear home?

Labour with DD1 was quick and unexpected so didn't have a bag- my husband 'packed' for me after she was born! I plan to be a bit more 'together' this time.

Lesdiscrets Thu 27-Apr-17 19:33:46

Plastic bag for any yucky stuff!
Vaseline if your having a boy. Stick poop and delicate boy bits isnt nice haha xxx

Lesdiscrets Thu 27-Apr-17 19:34:12

Sticky*

WoopWoop200 Thu 27-Apr-17 19:36:22

Phone charger. Dressing gown. Toiletries.
Some comfy clothes for dp in case you're there for a while.
Books or music for early stages or after maybe

newmumwithquestions Thu 27-Apr-17 19:39:08

If you're planning to breastfeed then lanosin
I wore tracksuit trousers and a giant t shirt home (classy!)
Take food. Apart from the post birth toast I wasn't fed with no 2. Not sure if that's a thing now or they just forgot me.

newmumwithquestions Thu 27-Apr-17 19:39:52

Oh god yes phone charger.

MrsChopper Thu 27-Apr-17 19:44:07

Dressing gown - ideally black as it hides any 'accidents' iyswim
Flip flops to wear in the shower

I had my bag more or less packed. I was missing a 'going home' outfit. Had DC 5 weeks early unexpectedly. DP brought my bag the following day. The hospital kindly provided everything I needed until then (incl. clothes for DS). I never gave my going home outfit a thought as I had gone to hospital in nice clothes. By the time I was allowed to leave hospital I had lost so much weight and water that I had to keep hold of my maternity pants as they would have dropped to my ankles. Also had to shuffle to the car in shoes that were a size too big as my feet had swollen so much during pregnancy. Luckily everyone thought I was walkig so slowly because I was still recovering from childbirth blush

Eeeeek2 Fri 28-Apr-17 08:38:57

One of those squash concentrates in a squeeze pot to add to hospital water.

Lip balm -gas and air dries the mouth

Clothes to go home in - I choose a maternity dress as I knew it wouldn't fall down and I didn't feel like maternity jeans. I wasn't outside long as dh could park right outside the door for pick ups.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 28-Apr-17 10:20:29

I'm just out of hospital. Ended up being moved several times between wards which can leave you a bit neglected on food and drugs. On that basis I was pleased to have a long life tuna ready meal available (although I didn't eat it), snacks, super concentrated squash, paracetamol and ibuprofen. I agree with taking lip balm and would also have some tissues. Maternity pads and breast pads. Slippers/flip flops for walking around (although ffs not so useful if you end up in support stockings, I took crocs instead). Dark dressing gown. Muslins to provide extra cover if you breastfeed. Maybe head phones and a book to read.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: