Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Medication causing a false negative test

(4 Posts)
Babydontcry Thu 27-Apr-17 14:36:30

Has anyone any experience of diphenhydramine causing false negative pregnancy tests?

Babydontcry Thu 27-Apr-17 19:14:45

Bumping with hope

hopsalong Thu 27-Apr-17 21:55:10

I haven't taken that antihistamine around the time I would have done a pregnancy test, so no experience, but it seems extremely unlikely to me. Taking antihistamines around ovulation might make it slightly less likely you'd get pregnant in the first place (because they dry up your CM), but what mechanism would cause them to produce a negative pregnancy test? To maintain a pregnancy you need to be producing HCG, and so you could only be actually pregnant but not testing as pregnant if the drug somehow caused HCG to disappear from your urine. But I can't imagine how that would happen!

Babydontcry Thu 27-Apr-17 22:33:00

Thanks Hops for replying. I read on the boots test leaflet that certain allergy tablets can, but I've googled and nothing else is coming up stating this is an issue. AF is unusually two days late so guess I will test again in a few days if still no sign!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now