We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Too embarrassed to be seen in public

(2 Posts)
TickingTimeBomb2017 Thu 27-Apr-17 12:44:17

I hate looking pregnant sad I don't have a neat bump, I have a HUGE arse, love handles, fat face, fat legs.

Nothing I wear looks nice, and I've had to ditch my heels to waddle around in Primark flats.

I'm only 22 weeks, so it's going to be a long time until I can lose weight and shape up.

My embarrassment of how I look has made me into a recluse. I work from home so am able to hide away. I've ghosted my old friends so they can't see me looking like this. I've ditched the gym (I used to be one of the leanest, top performers). I used to take great pride in my appearance.

I've put myself down for counselling out of despair.

I feel the urge to cut down on food (even though I know it;'s not good for baby) because at least that's doing something instead of sitting around getting fatter and more grotesque.

Does anyone identify? sad

SockQueen Thu 27-Apr-17 13:24:59

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I think most women are disappointed that the "glow" we're promised never seems to materialise!

However, I think the major issue is how you are thinking, rather than how you look. You are pregnant, NOT FAT. Your body is changing because of your hormones and the amazing work it's doing in creating a new life. Your friends who know you are pregnant aren't going to think that you've suddenly turned into a monster! And you can still exercise albeit with some modifications - the endorphins will help and it's good for both of you to keep active.

I think counselling might be helpful, especially with a view to the future, as you might not be able to put in as much effort to your appearance after the birth either, and you want to be able to get on with life with a baby! Talk to your GP/midwife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now