Is it too late to question my due date? (due tomorrow)(35 Posts)
I'm due tomorrow (first baby) and so far there's been no sign of baby making an appearance so obviously talk has started of sweeps, inductions etc.
My birth plan (and I know these are very much subject to what happens on the day) is a water birth at my local birth centre. If I have to go down the induction route then I'll have to have the baby in hospital, which I really don't want to do.
My concern is that actually my due date should be about two weeks from now, so it would be jumping the gun to start medical intervention - my midwife is offering me a sweep at my appointment next week.
I know when I conceived (could only have been one time) but because of the way dates are worked out it's put my conception at two weeks before I could have been pregnant.
I questioned this at my initial appointment with the Dr and midwife but this was dismissed and I was told I couldn't possibly know when I conceived
When I was sent for my 12 week scan they actually dated me as being 9 weeks and based my due date on that.
I'm just worried that in 2 weeks they're going to be badgering me for medical intervention when actually baby should still have another few weeks of cooking time left.
Is there anything I can do? Having looked into it I know I can refuse an induction, but then I won't be allowed to go to the birth centre anyway so it looks like either way I could end up in hospital and having a birth that is totally the opposite of what I want.
Sorry, this is a bit of a rambling post, and I could be worrying about nothing because she could turn up before they induce me anyway. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this or advice. Thanks
I'm confused. At your 12 week scan they dated you at 9 weeks, but you reckon you were actually 7?
It's calculated by periods rather than conception so that adds 2 weeks usually. So you are classed as being pregnant before you were if you go by weeks!
Thanks for the replies.
gigi That's about right. I think they actually dated me at 8+something which meant I had to go back for another scan because baby was too small to do the measurements etc. that they do at the 12 week scan.
Amethyst I think this is where the confusion has come in and what's making me worried. So going by that calculation I'll be 40+5 at my midwife appointment next week but surely I'm really only 38+5?
When I worked it out before I went to the Dr I calculated I'd be due in the middle of May so I was a bit surprised when they gave me an April due date.
I've probably just gotten it confused in my head. I just don't want to have to go down the medical intervention route if actually I've got another two weeks I could wait before it's needed.
Happy to be told I've got it all wrong and this is all in my head! If people could follow with some lovely induction stories to stop me panicking that would be great
They are normally very good at dating at the 12 wk scan as at this stage babies develop predictably. So I presume they are using these to calculate your due date?
Totally forget about the conception date, it's confusing you! When you conceived isn't where you start from - in pregnancy terms when you conceive you already classed as around 2 weeks pregnant even though there was no baby in there for that couple of weeks. Besides, due dates are only a guide, and even if your baby was 38 weeks that is still full term and perfectly fine. Good luck!
Ok. So what are the dates?
Either of your last period, or when you know you had sex?
The 40 weeks is always determined from the start of your last period, as that is more likely to be known than when you concieved.
Is your due date based on your dates or the 12 week scan? It should be based on the scan so maybe check what they dated you then and when it was and count forward the weeks? I was given 3 different due dates, went into labour on what I thought was my official due date but my notes say I was 42 weeks. And remember you can refuse any and all interventions, if they think you're massively overdue they'll do extra monitoring but yes may not let you be midwife led but it depends on the area.
Thanks for the replies. My due date is based on my 12 week scan and I've had two further scans and they haven't changed the date so I suppose it is right.
I think I'm just getting worried about interventions and looking for any excuse to get out of it!
It's been a textbook pregnancy so far and my midwife says I'm as low risk as any woman is ever going to be, so I'm on track for my midwife led birth centre birth at the moment.
Obviously if something was wrong then I'd take whatever medical advice was given, I just think if everything is OK then do I really need to have intervention to get the baby out? Maybe she's just really comfortable in there and she'll come out when she's ready!
I don't think they'll push you into anything just yet ... unless they're concerned about your or baby's health. As it's your first, they might wait until around 10 days over ... discuss it with your midwife, they shouldn't be pushing you into anything you're uncomfortable with.
You don't have to accept induction anyway- there are extra scans/ checks that can be done to check placenta is still working ok
Thanks. So far no concerns at all. I just know that soon they're going to start asking about it and I'd really like to avoid it.
I think I'm also concerned that the further away I get from my due date, the less chance I have of being allowed to go to the birth centre. Which probably sounds daft by my local birth centre is lovely and I've felt really uncomfortable every time I've been to my local maternity hospital so I want to avoid it if I possibly can.
Mushroom as others have said 'normal' is dated from the start of your last period and is 37w-42w. Your 'due date' is 40w from start of last period (so 38w from conception), but is revised by measurements they take at the scan.
I knew my (earliest) conception date from last pregnancy with certainty but was moved 5 days earlier than this at the scan, which is taken as 'right' in our area practically no matter what. I went to 40+19 before baby arrived by scan date, but was just under 40+14 by my dates when I went into labour.
You are perfectly entitled to refuse any intervention including sweeps and induction, although you will probably then be classed as 'higher risk'. Have the conversation at your next appointment re using the birth centre and see if you can convince them to still let you use it if you 'show' you are low risk by having a placenta scan at 42w and daily/every other day monitoring of the baby's heartbeat if they require it.
I had attempted sweeps and a successful sweep with my first, but if I could do it again I would refuse unless it was certain I was going to be induced for a valid medical reason (in which case I'd try a sweep before the induction).
Can't you decline sweeps etc and just wait until 41+3 or 41+5 before they start any sort of induction anyway? You could reassess how you feel once you get to that point and decide whether you want to go ahead with induction or opt for watchful waiting. You may have had your baby by then and it will all be irrelevant!
I had both DC (40+2 and 40+4) before I was offered a sweep but decided I would refuse sweeps until I got to at least 41+3 as the evidence isn't that strong www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15674873/ and apparently it's uncomfortable!
Thank you. I'll talk to my midwife at my appointment next week.
I'm OK with the idea of a sweep. It's when they start going down the induction etc. route that I'd rather avoid unless I really need to.
I've been totally low risk so far which I'm hoping means they'll be happy for me to continue with my birth centre plan. Fingers crossed she just gets on and arrives before they really start pushing for any intervention and then I'll have worried for nothing!
I was OK with the idea of a sweep first pregnancy too, but then when I did go into labour it started with my waters breaking, which meant they started getting edgy about infection risk. Having read up on that this time around, I would like to avoid as many vaginal exams or sweeps etc as possible to keep my infection risk low. There's also a (small) possibility that a sweep could break your waters - and then you have the same issue. Personally, I think they probably only work if you were almost ready to go into labour anyway.
I'll be 40+5 at my appointment on Wednesday and my midwife has said she'll offer me a sweep then if I want one.
I'll talk it through with her and see how long they'll let me go on before they'll insist on inductions and hospital.
savagehk that was what I understood as well. Unless you're ready to go into labour then a sweep is useless and just risks infection.
Personally I could do without someone fiddling around for no good reason.
Would you consider a home birth? I know it's quite late on to be planning that, but you can apparently decide you want a home birth at any point, and then it's completely up to you if you want to try for a natural water birth away from a hospital setting.
I was 17 days late with my 2nd, faced pressure to induce but declined; had done my reasearch of risks of going over due vs risks of induction and decided I was happy with extra monitoring.
I went on to have a perfect, fast, home water birth.
itchi I did originally consider a home birth but I liked the idea of having a bit more support there if I needed it so the birth centre was a good compromise.
I'm also not currently living at home, I'm at my dad's, so I'd have to get him on board with it and I'm not sure how happy he'd be about a home birth.
I'll talk it through with my midwife. Either way this baby is going to arrive. I just hope she does it before they get shirty about me being induced.
I had the opposite experience! I was desperate to be induced when ten days over- so uncomfortable and tired- but they wouldnt! I was 14 over by the time i finally went in for induction and by that point I couldn't have cared less that it was in the hospital I hadn't liked instead of the homebirth I'd planned or the midwife unit of my first birth.
I'm totally happy for her to be in there for as long as she wants to be if it isn't dangerous for either of us.
My concerns are that the more intervention I have, the more likely things are to go wrong. Historically in my family we have easy, uncomplicated pregnancies and births so I'd rather not encourage the opposite by getting too many people involved if it's not really medically needed.
I think you are a bit confused with how a pregnancy is dated, as others have said day 1 is the date of your last period rather than when you conceived.
I do feel for you though - I have always known exactly when I conceived, I can tell immediately but the way I feel and have known LONG before a test can show positive. Now if it was men that had babies they would be believed.....
I think I am too.
I suppose the question now is if/when I go down the sweep/induction route. But fingers crossed it won't get to that and she'll make an appearance before it's suggested.
Have a good read up on what the alternatives are to an induction. Remember just because it's suggested, it doesn't mean you have to do it.
Research your options so you are clued up and then you can make an informed decision at the time.
Try to stop worrying as stressing can stop you going into labour. I think you've got more chance if your body is relaxed and free of stress hormones.
Join the discussion
Please login first.