Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

29cm at 28 weeks

(16 Posts)
pregnantandhormonal87 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:41:46

Hi just looking for some advice, went to midwife for 28 week appointment today and when she measured my bump she stated that bump measured 29cm (measured 25cm at 25week appointment) and because of this she was referring me up to hospital for a growth scan and for a review with the obstetrician..my urine and bloods have all been fine so just wondering if this is normal and if anyone else.had had this happen and everything has been ok? this is my 3rd but never had any of these issues with previous pregnancies

LikeaSnowflake Wed 26-Apr-17 20:47:53

I'm surprised they have referred you. I measured a cm over my weeks in my first pregnancy at one stage and midwife wasn't at all concerned as it wasn't part of a pattern of being measured too big or wildly outside normal measurements.

Try not to worry. I think mostly when people have growth scans no problems are detected at all. It is just natural variation in size of baby, amniotic fluid levels etc.

mummy2pickle Wed 26-Apr-17 20:49:51

I was the same. I'm at 28 weeks measuring 29cm but had already had a growth scan because of other problems. I had one with my first dd too but I was measuring a lot more than 1cm out. I thought you'd have to be a few cm either side to warrant a growth scan. But rest assured the scans and tests are nothing to worry about and just see it as another opportunity to see baby. I never 100% trust their measurement anyway was told all through my first pregnancy that Dds stomach was measuring large and she came out absolutely fine. Been told three same this time but definitely not going to worry x

LikeaSnowflake Wed 26-Apr-17 20:49:59

P.s I usually measured the same cm as my weeks so at the top of the line. My DD came at 40+ 6 and very healthy. 8"10 but quick active labour and 10 mins pushing.

MajorClanger123 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:55:02

I measured large for dates with my third baby - it started gradually at 28 weeks (like yourself, only 1cm over) and was 5cm over at around 34 weeks. I went for a growth scan at 34wks which was all fine - simply a large baby (my previous two were 8lb3 then 8lb8 so went without saying third would be getting on 9lb), but they then spotted baby was transverse oblique at growth scan so then started extra monitoring for that hmm.

Baby eventually born by elective c-section at 38+5 and weighed 8lb5, so if I'd gone full term I guess she'd have been over 9lb. Funnily enough she dropped off the bottom of the growth charts by 12 months she was a teeny little bird, still is at 5 years old!

pregnantandhormonal87 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:58:05

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I was always at least a cm or two over with my first dc but second guessing myself now. I always thought the same that unless you were over or under by more than 3cm then it didn't warrant any concern but guess things have changed since I was last pregnant 😂

TheChineseChicken Wed 26-Apr-17 20:59:47

I thought the margin of error was supposed to be 2cm? It was when I was pregnant less than a year ago. It's such an imprecise science surely everyone will end up being referred??

MoonlightMojitos Wed 26-Apr-17 21:26:26

I'm also surprised you've been referred as here it's 3cm either way. I was 25cm at 25 weeks, 30 by 28 weeks, 33cm at 31w and 36cm at 34 so it's stayed 2cm bigger now and I haven't been referred. From what I've seen its a really unaccustomed measurement anyway, I'm sure all is fine smile

M5tothesouthwest Wed 26-Apr-17 21:29:19

I had the opposite problem - measured 33cm at 39 weeks. Was sent for growth scan due to concerns that baby was small. Scan estimated baby to be 7.5lb and he was born at T+3 weighing 8lb6oz so not small at all.
They don't measure in our area now because it's considered too inaccurate.

GaladrielsRing Wed 26-Apr-17 21:34:53

I was measuring 28cm at 27 weeks and 36cm at 34 weeks. There's a scale in my notes which goes 2cm each way so I'm within range and midwife said not to worry. It's interesting to see how different trusts do things.

Eeeeek2 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:53:34

It's just your trusts guidelines nothing to worry about, plus side you get to see baby again!

Get use the guideline graphs they don't leave you once the baby arrives. I think I upset a health visitor when she excitedly told me that ds was following he weight line perfectly and I wasn't as excited as her! I know that they can show up potential problems but baby was eating and active and happy I didn't need a line to tell me.

DirtyDancing Wed 26-Apr-17 22:25:14

What? They allow 2cms either side.. seems strange to refer you by 1cm. I hate the tape measure test, it's rarely accurate!

MabelTheCow Thu 27-Apr-17 10:36:50

I had this with my 28 week and 31 week measurements, jumping from 50th percentile to about 130 sad I felt awful and like I'd failed somehow. Due to Easter, we had to wait ages for the scan too but that put us back down to around the 50th percentile mark.
Midwives with tape measures are not always the most accurate and different people's bodies change at different rates.

HashiAsLarry Thu 27-Apr-17 10:43:28

Seems odd you're being referred after just one measurement over. I was over for a few sessions before I was referred with dc2. He was just a big baby with a large head, but not large enough for them to worry about anything.

arbrighton Thu 27-Apr-17 10:48:00

The one bump measurement I've had was one cm over. (I had a full bladder).

Midwife totally unconcerned.

Wouldn't have referred me for a growth scan (but I've got to have those anyway!)

jinglebellmel Thu 27-Apr-17 14:25:24

I think it depends on how far that puts you out of the 'normal' on your personalised growth chart? So for some people 1cm over might be fine, but if that puts up you over 95th centile on your chart then it would be of concern for you. I'm sure it's fine anyway though. I had a growth scan the other day and they measured fundal height afterwards for some reason, that came out lots bigger on the chart than the scan. I don't think the scan is massively accurate either but consultant said fundal height has a 30% error which is huge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now