Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could my bump be too big?

(23 Posts)
manandbeast Wed 26-Apr-17 20:17:42

Hi, I'm 12+4 and I have a visible pregnancy bump. I can't do up any of my trousers and I'm sure with my last pregnancy I was 18 weeks before I was this size.
Could there be anything wrong? (Don't want to Dr Google for fear of scaring myself!)

Wait4nothing Wed 26-Apr-17 20:18:19

Have you had a scan?

SaltySalt Wed 26-Apr-17 20:19:19

I was huge with my second and small with my third

Chocmudpie Wed 26-Apr-17 20:19:27

Maybe there is more than 1 in there. If not don't worry every pregnancy is different, maybe you just have more fluid this time.

C4Envelope Wed 26-Apr-17 20:19:58

I was showing at 10weeks - its like it was phsycological as soon as I realised I noticed a considerable swelling. Think three course dinner swell grin

manandbeast Wed 26-Apr-17 20:23:33

My 12 we scan is not until next week so willl find out for sure then. But just looking for reassurance.
St booking appointment midwife said I look bigger than my dates suggest. You think this is ok?

kizzle Wed 26-Apr-17 20:24:49

They do say you start showing earlier with your second, maybe this is the reason?

SayNoToCarrots Wed 26-Apr-17 20:26:36

First pregnancy I didn't show til four or five months, this one I was too big for my jeans at six weeks. Your muscles are weaker so you can't hold it in.

manandbeast Wed 26-Apr-17 20:28:01

Ok phew!

Bungleboggs Wed 26-Apr-17 20:28:12

You may have more than one in there!! I showed quite big at 12 weeks

manandbeast Wed 26-Apr-17 20:29:08

Oh god! Not sure I could cope with twins!!

RandomMess Wed 26-Apr-17 20:30:57

with pregnancy # 3 & 4 my trousers wouldn't do up by 6 weeks, it's just knackered tummy muscles!

SayNoToCarrots Wed 26-Apr-17 20:31:04

I've only got one and still a big bump.

wonkyegg Wed 26-Apr-17 20:34:38

I'm 13 weeks with my first and I'm bigger than a girl at work who is 7 months. It's weird, I wasn't expecting to show for ages yet. I don't know if maybe it has something to do with the IVF treatment that put me in this position. My scan is tomorrow.

LemonyFresh Wed 26-Apr-17 20:36:29

Could you be further along than you thought?

Phoenix76 Wed 26-Apr-17 22:32:37

With my second pregnancy I was notably pregnant before 12 weeks. I was also told, as pp suggested, it was due to relaxed stomach muscles. It was very inconvenient as I didn't want to announce my pregnancy at work until I was ready!

oliversmummy26 Thu 27-Apr-17 13:26:31

Try not to worry too much, this seems to be very normal for 2nd and subsequent pregnancies...

I couldn't get into my normal jeans at 8 weeks this time and have been in maternity ever since. My bump is huge! I'm 20 weeks now and am about as big as I was at 25 at least with my first!

Cakescakescakes Thu 27-Apr-17 13:30:10

Very normal with a second pregnancy. First time I wore my normal jeans till 20 weeks. Second time I was in maternity trousers by 10 weeks. By full term I was beyond enormous! Stomach muscles just have up the fight early on.

BentleyBelly Thu 27-Apr-17 13:51:30

I'm the same with second pregnancy. Currently 16 weeks and very obviously pregnant...no hiding it since 12 weeks. I looked back at bump pictures with my first and a think i look the same as about 24 weeks...worried I'm going to be huge!

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Thu 27-Apr-17 18:04:35

wonkyegg that's probably bloating from the progesterone pessaries - it'll deflate somewhat in a few weeks!

SeatOfMyPants Thu 27-Apr-17 19:48:05

Same here with my second. I'm nearly 15 weeks but showing as much as I was at about 20 with my DS. Odd, because my stomach muscles and core are significantly stronger than when I fell pregnant with him, with 4 years Pilates a d strength training now under my belt (I was a runner before but no strength training to speak of)

It's kind of embarrassing that I'm already in maternity clothes. I know I've put in a little bit more weight than I did by this stage last time - I had horrendous nausea this round and couldn't do much more than sit on a sofa grazing to make myself feel better...for 3 weeks (was signed off work because of nausea, headaches and insomnia). I'm hoping I'll manage to slow the weight gain now I feel a bit better..... fingers crossed... but most of it seems to be legitimate bump. I wonder whether it's a position thing...

Glad it's not just me!!!

SeatOfMyPants Thu 27-Apr-17 19:49:42

Yes, got asked today whether it's possible go miss a twin on the 12 week scan...

As I'm under the care of a renowned research hospital I sincerely doubt it, but a part of my is wondering....

25heartbroken Thu 27-Apr-17 19:54:42

Have no fear! I am 4 months pregnant with my first baby and I have no joke being showing since about 9 weeks! I am huge now! I am as big as my 6 month pregnant friend haha and there's only 1 baby in there they have checked many many times 😂 I just have a lot of fluid I think and I'm all bump haven't gotten that big any where else ..... apart from boobs of course 😂 rest your mind lady xxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now