Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Food ocd issue

(14 Posts)
BellaD24 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:16:30

Hi, I vale become soo fussy with what I am eating in my pregnancy that I limit the food I intake and I look at all the side effects for each food item! Eg aubergine can cause uterous contractions and bleeding! I really need Help with some safe foods and mainly looking for recipe suggestions for my pregnancy!

Ps I before you suggest NHS for food to avoid trust me I have checked that and all other resources ...just need some simple, easy and tasty food thank you

21 weeks and frustrated with food

Chocmudpie Wed 26-Apr-17 20:18:45

Stop looking at the side effects as they'll all just be nonsense. Chill out and enjoy what food you fancy eating and enjoy your pregnancy flowers

PurpleDaisies Wed 26-Apr-17 20:19:33

When you say "all other resources", what do you mean? Google will lead you into a lot of really unscientific nonsense.

I'm medically qualified and never heard of aubergine being discouraged in pregnancy.

mrscrocopop Thu 27-Apr-17 08:34:51

I think it's hard to advise when what you are choosing to eat/not eat is being dictated by your anxiety rather than what is/is not dangerous. I agree with the PP that you need to stop religiously checking the side effects of foods! Although u are doing this to try and feel better it is compounding the problem.

There is a really clear list of foods to avoid and other than that you can eat normally that you have seen in the NHS website.

OP - do you suffer with an anxiety disorder? You mention OCD - have you been diagnosed with OCD or generalised anxiety disorder? My honest advice would be to seek some therapeutic support either via your GP Or midwife. Pregnancy is a stressful time and can easily flare up pre existing anxiety issues.

Hope the issue settles down for you, it sounds very stressful.

CreamCheez Thu 27-Apr-17 09:55:08

The only thing my doctor said to me was soft cheese (unpasteurised cheese shop types). I've limited my tea / no alcohol, that's it. I'm just eating what feels right, a bit more meat / fish (usually don't eat meat), tonnes of fruit & veg. Nuts, seeds etc... No sweets (chocolate gives me a headache!). If something feels wrong, I stop eating it.
It's so easy to worry about it... But I think, just eat a good variety & go organic where poss (milk). I ate aubergine last night...

CreamCheez Thu 27-Apr-17 09:57:29

Also, maybe buy a pregnancy cookbook if you want more guidance.

raviolidreaming Thu 27-Apr-17 10:19:54

When you say "all other resources", what do you mean? Google will lead you into a lot of really unscientific nonsense

Indeed. Please just use the NHS as a guide and, if you feel you can't, then speak to your GP or midwife about your anxiety flowers

BellaD24 Sat 13-May-17 19:08:14

Thank you for your replies, I have book a pregnancy cookbook and have also had counselling but I guess I'm super paranoid. Also I'm suffering heartburn a lot these days - I'm 24 weeks

I read nhs site and many TCM websites which suggest to avoid various foods.

BellaD24 Sat 13-May-17 19:11:24

Thank you for your reply , can I ask purple daisy - I start eating spicy for and then my cervix shortens.. Is this related?

arbrighton Sat 13-May-17 20:21:45

How on earth do you know your cervix shortens?

Lunalovepud Sun 14-May-17 10:27:36

Bella please speak to your GP and midwife about your anxiety and ask for a referral to some talking therapies. I had some excellent treatment for OCD while PG with DC1 and it really helped me through the rest of my pregnancy. There may also be a mental health midwife at your hospital you can ask for a referral to.

Please don't struggle on through this alone... There really is no need for you to restrict your diet any more than is recommended on the NHS website.

Fcukthetww Sun 14-May-17 11:53:15

Bella, I don't think food is your issue. I think you need to speak to GP or midwife as it sounds like you have anxiety- please stop restricting your food and checking your cervix in the meantime.

BellaD24 Sun 14-May-17 14:46:46

Hi, I will defo look into getting the support I need! In terms of cervix shortening - I was getting this regularly scanned at the hospital as a weekly check where the inserted a trans vaginal scan probe blush

BellaD24 Sun 14-May-17 14:48:17

I'm not just anxious abt my pregnancy I have some personal circumstances that have also contributed ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now