Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! I've been using Anti Cellulite Cream (caffeine) & Retinol Products Without Realising!

(10 Posts)
JennyBumbleBeeK Wed 26-Apr-17 09:45:51

Hi there, I hope someone can please help me to feel better.
I gave up coffee just before my BFP because I suspected I was pregnant. I've been doing everything 'right'.
Then at 5.5 weeks I notice I've been rubbing caffeine into my hips, thigh & bum everyday!
I've also been using Hylamide Subq Anti-Age serum which I now see contains a 'Retinol based plant product'
Have I harmed my baby? How much can over-the-counter products affect things?
A
Has anybody else done this?

Thanks for listening x

leighdinglady Wed 26-Apr-17 10:14:39

I wouldn't be concerned at all. Plenty of women don't know they're pregnant by 5/6 weeks and are downing espressos or booze! I think for the most part of very early pregnancy the baby doesn't share your blood supply so won't be affected.

arbrighton Wed 26-Apr-17 11:11:19

You don't have to 'give up' coffee anyway

Just not go overboard on the caffeine

JennyBumbleBeeK Wed 26-Apr-17 13:31:29

Aha Thank you so much!

I'm still a bit concerned about the face serum.. But probably stressing about it has a worse effect on my body

Lemondrop09 Wed 26-Apr-17 13:59:16

The NHS guidelines on caffeine say that you can have up to 200mg a day, which is actually quite a bit when you check. People can still have a daily cup of coffee. I imagine the amounts in skin cream are tiny.

As for face creams etc, most aren't approved in pregnancy because it's unethical to test on pregnant women. That's doesn't mean they're harmful, just there's no evidence either way. Discontinue now if you're concerned but I wouldn't stress about it unless you've been drinking the stuff grin

Basically you're told that everything is bad for you in pregnancy. You just need to be sensible and make some judgement calls, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy stressing over every little thing. And you're right, re stress is probably more harmful.

I ended up on some very strong long term medication during pregnancy due to HG. I didn't want to take it but I've ha no choice. Baby is fine, and it's given me a bit of perspective about the realistic risk of harm if I accidentally drink too much coffee one day or eat a piece of soft cheese.

Relax smile

FeelingForSnow Wed 26-Apr-17 14:31:10

Retinol is Vit A and is known to be dangerous.
I stopped using Ret before TCC as I read somewhere that you should stop months before becoming pregnant but not sure if it is actually true. In all honesty I doubt it.

I understand your worry and most important thing is to stop now.

You can ask your MF if there are any tests that could put your mind at rest.
Not sure if there are.

Try not to worry. I reckon that the risks actually are very minimal. I'm not sure what quantities of Vit A are in a face cream but doubt it is more than in a

FeelingForSnow Wed 26-Apr-17 14:31:34

pate

JennyBumbleBeeK Thu 04-May-17 10:49:37

Thanks everyone. I'd emailed the serum company Deciem and of course they declined to say whether it's safe or not.
It does say that it's a vegan product so I can only assume the retinol's derived from carotenoids rather than animal retinol which is the potentially harmful type we're supposed to avoid.
It's mostly a moisturising product with hyaluronic acid than a retinol product but
I've stopped using it anyway - and it shows, my eyes are much more wrinkley! :/
Thanks for your opinions, it's stopped me worrying smile

FartnissEverbeans Thu 04-May-17 18:54:17

I think topical retinol, although not advised, will be unlikely to cause any issues. I'm sure I read about this somewhere - there was a study of women who had done what you've done and carried on accidentally in pregnancy and they were all fine.

If I were you I'd probably go see an OB just to put my mind at ease.

JennyBumbleBeeK Mon 15-May-17 10:43:02

Aha, December have got back to me and said that while their product should be safe in pregnancy, it's best to check with doctors...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now