Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
pregnancy after c-section(6 Posts)
Sadly we lost our first baby 8 weeks ago at 41 weeks. Doctors performed a emcs but were unable to resuscitate her. She was so loved and so wanted and we feel her loss terribly.
My husband has been talking about trying again in the future and says that although he misses our beautiful daughter terribly that it has also made him realise how much he wants be a parent and have a family. We are obviously not thinking of ttc anytime soon as I know my wound is steal healing and emotionally we are not ready and can only imagine how stressful a pregnancy after a full term loss would be but doctors haven't given us any advice on this at all - on when it is safe and I've researched a little online and so many different opinions from 3 months to 2 years but some of that info seems outdated.
I would never consider vbac because of my traumatic labour and terrible outcome this time so that wouldn't be a factor for me.
Like I say it's nothing I'm thinking of now but would like to have an idea of what other people have done/been told incase I do decide to start planning in the future.
Steph I am so so sorry for your loss, what a terrible time you and your DH must be going through and I'm pleased to see that you're taking some time before TTC again.
I had an urgent section with my son 5 years ago and am now 20 weeks pregnant with my second. I have done lots of reading on birth after section and I too would rather avoid a VBAC.
I have an appointment with a specialist midwife at my hospital next week to discuss my birth options and can let you know how I get on. But from what I understand if you have had a previous CS then you are entitled to request an elective, and whether or not they push you for a VBAC greatly varies from person to person and from hospital to hospital. But it also depends on your previous birth and how your current pregnancy is progressing.
As far as I understand it though, they have to have a very good reason to refuse you a section.
I hope that helps?
Steph I am so sorry for your loss.
I had a section first time and GP advised me not to get pregnant again for a year. This time I am under a consultant because of previous C Section and where I am, you can basically choose what you want. I wouldn't consider a VBAC and I have had no resistance at all to the idea of another C Section.
Best of luck with everything in the future and so sorry again for your loss.
Sorry for your loss OP.
I had an MC after 6 years ttc and was pg again 3 months later with Dd. She was born by emcs.
A few months later I unexpectedly found myself pg with ds. He was born by elcs. I'm not in the UK. I wasn't pushed into having another section but it was very strongly encouraged by everyone. The recovery was a lot better the second time. No Pph, no time on high dependency. However, my doctor afterwards did say we should have left it longer because she didn't feel I was fully recovered from the birth of dd when I got pg with ds.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss
I had an emergency section 3 1/2 years ago and was advised to wait around a year until trying again, just to give the scarring a chance to heal.
Just wanted to add that this time round I am under the consultant for my previous section. I hadn't decided if I wanted an elective c section or a VBAC and the consultant said he'd reccommend a VBAC if I planned to have more pregnancies after this. He said if it was likely to my last pregnancy then he would recommend a section. I'm not a hundred per cent sure why or how many but he just said there was a limited amount of sections they liked to do.
Sorry for your loss again.
Hello. I was in your position and feel for what you are going through right now. I was advised to wait six months after my section. I actually became pregnant before that but lost the pregnancy early on, perhaps my body wasn't ready but I hadn't expected to fall pregnant so soon because it took years the first time around. Six months after we lost our baby, we started TTC again properly and a couple of months after that fell pregnant. I really wanted to try VBAC but baby has other ideas as is breech and so I will be booked in for a second section. To be honest I'm now glad decision has been taken out of my hands. Best of luck on this sh*tty path you have been led down
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.