Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Twin insurance?

(8 Posts)
samidolls Tue 25-Apr-17 14:51:27

First of all I'm not sure this is even the right place to post this but I couldn't figure out where else!

We are now officially TTC, and whilst it's just between us at the moment over the years we've had a few people, in passing say we should look into twin insurance when we have kids.

Does anybody know anything about it? Is it worth it?

I think I've hard that twins carry on the mothers side, but basically DH is a twin and has several sets of twins on his side.
As for my side, my maternal granddad was a twin, and I have uncles who are twins (my dad's side)...

All in all it seems that twins run in both our families! So I'm guessing our chances would be pretty high.
hmm

CanIGoToBedNow Tue 25-Apr-17 14:53:44

I was in a similar situation as you with lots of twins in the family - if you look into it the premium for me was almost as much as the actual payout if we were to have had twins.

So pointless in my opinion

Starduke Tue 25-Apr-17 14:54:56

I was going to say have a look at what you'd actually receive compared to what you pay. And whether it'll actually make a difference to your life.

Nightfall1983 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:59:52

Only non-identical twins are hereditary and only on the mothers side. So if your grandfather (and twin) and uncles are non-identical then it might run in your family. Your partners family makes no difference.

skyzumarubble Tue 25-Apr-17 15:19:49

Hyper ovulation runs down the maternal line meaning two eggs can be fertilised at once which results in non identical twins.

Your dhs family has no correlation to what will happen to you.

Identical twins are completely random when an egg splits at some point after fertilisation.

(I have identical twins and end up explaining this a lot!).

Twin insurance did used to be a thing but I haven't seen or heard of it recently.

samidolls Tue 25-Apr-17 15:51:54

Thanks guys!

My uncles are non identical but I think my Granddad was identical, so maybe there is less chance than we thought.

Either way I don't think we'll bother with the insurance thing.

CanIGoToBedNow Wed 26-Apr-17 21:04:31

I think it was not worth it because I'm a twin (non identical) and my sister has had non identical twins... age is also a factor in potentially releasing more than one egg at a time (I'm an aged primate). When you get older your ovaries can stop working properly and then potentially over compensate by releasing more than one egg at a time....

Sparklyuggs Wed 26-Apr-17 21:28:14

I'm a non identical twin and was diagnosed with hyperovulation by a gynaecologist, and the odds of a twin pregnancy were still only 20%; I wouldn't spend the money on insurance. The odds of twins goes up with age though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now