Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Time off work

(8 Posts)
motherbear2 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:58:04

Hi, needing some comments as I'm starting to think I am being unreasonable!!! I'm 18 weeks pregnant with my second child. My DS is 2 but is very ill with complex congenital heart disease and needs a lot of attention. I'm at the point now where I am being scanned to make sure my second baby is also not suffering from the same illness. I'm a teacher, lots going on at school but in summary I've been made redundant and my maternity cover for my first pregnancy has secured 'my job' and I've just had a successful case of sexual discrimination with the school. I'm redundant as of August and baby due September. I'm struggling under the stress and decided over the Easter to be signed off by the doctor for the rest of my pregnancy. Starting to feel a bit ashamed of my decision.. I need to put this baby and my son first but the teacher guilt has set in... what do you think?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 24-Apr-17 19:59:41

Isn't being signed off your doctor's decision, not yours?

FanaticalFox Mon 24-Apr-17 20:00:06

Nope YANBU sounds like a terrible place to work. Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy flowers

motherbear2 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:04:07

Yes, totally the doctors decision, I think I had worded that section very poorly. I have been, they were very supportive and been signed off for 10 weeks now.

Primaryteach87 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:05:41

I think they have behaved terribly and no wonder you are under stress with all that is going on. I understand the guilt but it's unjustified. Now is the time to put your children first & your health first.

bellalou1234 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:06:52

Sounds really stressful with added work stress, unsupportive employer! Take care cake

Nokia3310 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:08:34

I hate it when people are signed off unnecessarily. So glad you were signed off, you've been put under a lot of stress, you need to put yourself and your family first. AND you owe them nothing. X

vfoster Mon 24-Apr-17 21:15:01

Sounds like you've had a nightmare and owe them nothing!
I'm a teacher too and know the horrible guilt that comes with taking any time off at all. I think t cent changes in education are making people think that teachers are replaceable and schools are failing to treat people with respect.
You and your children are far more important than any job, take as much time as you need, relax and think about work at another time.
I was signed off with PND after my first after a horrible experience and handed my notice in. I found going on supply when I felt ready was the best way back in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now