Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breech baby experiences? EVC and beyond.

(13 Posts)
Frizziee Mon 24-Apr-17 13:38:22

Hi all. I am 34weeks and have just been referred for an ECV, has anyone experienced this? Was it successful? If not, is it possible to give birth naturally to a breech baby?

Frizziee Mon 24-Apr-17 15:09:34

Why does it annoy me so much that I've put the letters in the wrong order in my acronym? Although actually an initialism. Not bumping.

AliBingo Mon 24-Apr-17 22:13:01

I didn't fancy the ECV as I had read some horror stories, but apparently they can be successful. I was told not many midwives have experience in breech births these days and they recommend ElC for a persistent breech. I was in for a section, fasted, gown and surgical stockings etc but on the morning baby had turned so they broke my waters as soon as they could to keep her in the head down position. Dunno how unusual it was for baby to turn at the last hour though.

TisConfusion Mon 24-Apr-17 22:22:14

I had an ECV at 37+4 with DC2. It was successful. The actual turning of the baby was done in 2 minutes. They monitored me and the baby for ages before and after. I'd say it was uncomfortable rather than painful and for me the worst bit was the effect of the injection they gave me to relax my stomach muscles. It made me feel really hot and sick, it mustve lowered my blood pressure quickly. But i got over that pretty quickly. I'm pleased I had the ECV as I really didnt want a C section and the hospital advised against natural breech delivery which didnt fill me with confidence!
Hope it works out for you, good luck!

robindeer Mon 24-Apr-17 22:35:39

I had a failed ECV then a caesarean. The ECV hurt (a lot) but I think this was because my DS was stuck fast. They tried to turn him for a long time but it wasn't happening.

I was absolutely gutted to have to have a C section but it was actually fine. My recovery was pretty quick, and my baby was delivered safely. If I have another I would consider an elective caesarean (this is a huge about turn for me) but knowing now what I didn't know then, I will never agree to another ECV. I had no idea about the risks to the baby.

Please don't take this as me discouraging you from trying it. Some babies do turn, and many women go on to have natural births. I did not have a bad experience, it was just a different experience to the one I had imagined. Also, the NHS are phenomenal, but do read things more carefully than I did!

Justmuddlingalong Mon 24-Apr-17 22:42:27

I had an ECV. It worked but at the next checkup he was breech again. 3rd baby, so was encouraged to try a vaginal delivery. At 42+ weeks, in the shower before going down to be induced he turned head down and was delivered vaginaly. He was 9lb 3oz, so everyone was amazed that he had the room at such a late stage.

KittyWindbag Tue 25-Apr-17 01:20:33

I can't help with the ECV experience.m I'm afraid but mine's also breech at 35.5 weeks. I can't have an ECV where I live. I just wonder how common it is for babies to turn naturally at this point?

I bounce on my gym ball every day and follow spinning babies to try to get baby to shift. But he seems to not shift about very much at all to be honest.

Frizziee Tue 25-Apr-17 09:48:53

Thanks for all the info and stories folks, great to hear that some ECVs worked and especially that some turned naturally. I've been doing the yoga moves that are supposed to help and must get on my ball and look up spinning babies. Fingers crossed!

Frizziee Tue 25-Apr-17 09:51:17

Kitty I'd love to know too the chances of him turning naturally. If ECV isn't an option for you what happens next?

KittyWindbag Tue 25-Apr-17 13:35:29

frizzee they told me I'll be booked in for a csection between 38 and 39 weeks if he doesn't turn. I feel in limbo!

Frizziee Tue 25-Apr-17 13:46:47

Not long to go then! Fingers crossed they turn for you but good luck whatever happens x

Corrinax Tue 25-Apr-17 19:55:50

My niece was born breech 😊 they tried turning her round for weeks but it wasnt happening and then they booked her in for c section however, my sister went into labour went to the hospital and they were wheeling her down to have an emergency c section but her feet came out lol she was born no problems with about 10 doctors around her all amazed i think she just wanted to come out that way haha good luck smile

Northernlassie1974 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:01:58

My second was a surprise breech! No one knew until she was crowning....although it wasn't her head it was her bum!
The room went crazy and filled with midwives (was all very quick and I was only in a side room for initial assessment) you could hear panic in their voices!
She came out very quickly, they were very serious about when to push/not push and was very weird pushing then feeling her legs slap my legs as they unfolded, then her arms!
All was fine. Bum first sounds horrific, but in all honestly it was 100% easier than my first daughter who was head first but back to back.
This probably isn't very helpful as if they'd known she was breech they wouldn't have let me do if, but, all was fine, quick, no where near as painful as birth 1! However, I know that it is not always the case.
Good luck whatever happens. The only thing I can say from close friends and family experience, planned c section is better than emergency c section. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now