Talk

Advanced search

Fiji Holiday 5 weeks pregnant

(9 Posts)
Pixiedust2017 Sun 23-Apr-17 08:11:47

Hi everyone!
This is my first post here, i'm a bit nervous... I got a +ve test 3 days ago and repeated yesterday with another +ve test and my last period date would make this week number 5.
We had previously book a holiday to Fiji which we are due to fly out to in 2 weeks time.
Fiji has been categorized as a zika area and it is not recommended that pregnant women go there.
I understand there is a risk but it is so early on (I guess I am half expecting to miscarry.. or paranoid and think I will...) and the holiday cost us a small fortune.
I was just wondering whether anyone could give their opinion on whether to cancel the holiday or go and use serious mosquito bite prevention (40% deet and long sleeves and stay in air conditioned areas at dusk etc.)
Just wanting some advice really or to know what others would do in this situation, I think I am still in the shock phase.
Thanks in advance.

scaevola Sun 23-Apr-17 08:28:53

Check that your insurance covers medical reasons for cancellation, including risks consequent to pregnancy.

Then, if you take cost out of it all, do you still want to go. Or would you rather choose a different holiday in a zika-free zone?

arbrighton Sun 23-Apr-17 08:30:10

Also check on using Deet in pregnancy please

Then ring insurers and see what they advise

arbrighton Sun 23-Apr-17 08:34:13

www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-health/mosquito-bites-and-repellent

This suggests that you can't use more than 10% DEET

dailymailarecunts Sun 23-Apr-17 08:39:51

I really wouldn't risk it, the worse case scenario is catastrophic and you would never be able to relax. Are you insured?

Pixiedust2017 Sun 23-Apr-17 08:45:44

We are insured, they will not cover it, and I used the cdc website for the % deet, they didnt mention a 10% recommendation. I think as it is so poorly absorbed.

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/the-pre-travel-consultation/protection-against-mosquitoes-ticks-other-arthropods

I think we will edge towards cancelling.
Thanks guys, appreciate it smile

goldangel Sun 23-Apr-17 08:51:11

IMO I wouldn't take the risk, have you spoken to your travel agent? my friend was offered Dubai over Barbados during early pregnancy. Agree with pp the worst case scenario is catastrophic, just google zika babies images... No amount of money is worth that. Best of luck.

Piglet208 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:31:55

I would speak to the company you have booked through. They may be willing to transfer you to a different location in the circumstances. I wouldn't risk a zika area.

M5tothesouthwest Sun 23-Apr-17 09:44:57

Given that that the risks are higher in early pregnancy (as that's when the embryo undergoes most rapid development) then there's no way I'd risk it.

I'm not normally over cautious (I drank the odd beer / small glass of wine when pregnant) but feel this is a real and serious risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now