Talk

Advanced search

Intense headaches at 16 weeks.

(9 Posts)
SpwJd Sat 22-Apr-17 20:13:06

Anyone else getting severe headaches when pregnant?
I'm really suffering this week. Can't shift it. It's literally there all the time. Feels like pressure at the back of my head.
Paracetamol is just taking the edge off but it gets so bad at times I can't sleep.

Any advice on how to help get rid ?
Anyone in the same boat?

Sunshinegirl82 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:32:46

I had horrendous headaches in earlyish pregnancy, they went on for days at a time. I took paracetamol and used that 4head stuff which helped a bit. I also draped a warm wheat bag around the back of my neck which was soothing. I took to bed a lot too!

The midwife told me they were probably hormonal (which makes sense, I quite often get a headache around the time of my period) and they did calm down at about 20 weeks do fingers crossed yours do too. It is horrible though, you have my sympathy!

krakentoast Sat 22-Apr-17 20:33:40

Oh yes, I am exactly 16 weeks and for the last week I've been getting horrendous headaches. I used to get headaches around the time of my period most months but never as bad as this - last week I had one that lasted a full 24 hours and stopped me sleeping.

I was a bit worried it might have something to do with my blood pressure as at my last midwife appointment it was a bit high.

I can't offer any advice but wanted to say you're not alone and fingers crossed someone shows up with some advice!

WantingBaby1 Sat 22-Apr-17 21:42:58

Totally not alone here. I really suffered around then, and sometimes still do at 24 wks. I had bad migraines too. Ended up seeing a consultant who prescribed various drugs that I'm not taking as they can harm baby (which he said was a risk, as everything is except paracetamol). It utterly sucks but you will get through it.

Get your urine checked for proteins just in case.

Try 4head and cold towels on your head/neck and bed rest. Try to keep eating as low blood sugar will make you feel worse. None of these things will cure you but you'll be doing all you can.

SpwJd Sat 22-Apr-17 21:48:23

Thanks ladies. Reassuring to know I'm not alone ( without wishing headaches on anyone. )
I've just had two paracetamol. Using a water bottle on the back of my neck and drinking water as we speak. Prepping for a good nights sleep. I need one !
Fingers crossed it passes soon then.

I vaguely remember having it with my second but thought it was a lot more early on. I did end up with a sinus infection ( resulting in antibiotics ) and as mine feels sinusey I want to avoid that so I've had my dh give
My temples a massage and my face too. Not sure how long I'll get away with it but it definitely helps release a bit of pressure.

dede124 Sat 22-Apr-17 21:52:07

So glad iv seen this @SpwJd I'm 16 weeks too. Iv been suffering with really intense pressure head aches Iv been taking paracetamol and using the 4head strips but I started steaming (face over hot bowl of water with towel over head) yesterday and that's made a massive difference I think it helps as it clears the sinus' too as my nose has been blocked probably making it worse but I think it's mainly hormones. But paracetamol is safe to take. Hope you feel better soon

Sunshinegirl82 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:00:23

I was going to suggest steam if you think it might be sinuses.

I did mention the headaches to my midwife and she said it would be pre-eclampsia or anything similar prior to 20 weeks. That said it might be worth flagging it at your next appointment just in case.

Sunshinegirl82 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:03:16

I'm pretty sure you can also use saline drops and nasal washes but check with the pharmacist.

pennysays Sun 23-Apr-17 00:20:03

I had some grim headaches that I couldn't shift with pain killers. In the end sex/sleep or massage (shiatsu) sorted it out. Not all at once!

The massage was good as it turned out my shoulders were really tense which was part of the problem.

Bath is a good start!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now