Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

NIPT

(8 Posts)
FluffyEwok Sat 22-Apr-17 17:15:29

is anyone getting this done? I'm very anxious and thinking I should get it. I'm 30 Dh is 38 so I'm not an older Mum but I'm really worried there s an issue

arbrighton Sat 22-Apr-17 17:54:01

Presumably you're going for combined screening at your 12 week scan first?

It's natural to worry during pregnancy but sometimes it's a good idea to step back and try to be calm/ relaxed. There are a great number of successful pregnancies with healthy newborns after all

Sparklyuggs Sat 22-Apr-17 18:09:43

I got it done privately as it's more accurate than the NT measurement, but it isn't a diagnostic, and you can get it done from 10 weeks so I could find out sooner what our risk was. DH and I both wanted to know so we could discuss our options, but a lot of people I know don't agree with it.

FluffyEwok Sat 22-Apr-17 18:32:46

Sparkly did you pay for scan and bloods or just bloods? what made you decide to go for nipt?

DeliciouslyHella Sat 22-Apr-17 19:20:43

I had an NIPT done after receiving a high risk result for Downs Syndrome from my combined NHS screening.

It was a scan and a blood test. The scan was much more detailed than the NHS one and the sonographer spent a long time talking it through with us. The results were back within a week (we went for the NIPT offered through St George's in London, so faster results than some of the other ones available).

If I were to fall pregnant again, I would do the same again - have the standard NHS screening, then have the NIPT if wanted.

OrangeJulius Sat 22-Apr-17 21:12:26

I had the test at 10 weeks, I'm almost 13 weeks now. I had a scan and bloods, as it's best to have had a scan to confirm the pregnancy before they do the bloods. Had my results within a week.

If it's important for you to know, and you can spare £400, then go for it.

I have no reason to believe I'm risk either, btw. I just want to take the best non invasive test available.

Sparklyuggs Sat 22-Apr-17 21:55:23

I'm similar to OrangeJulius the NIPT is more accurate than the NT. The NHS will eventually introduce the NIPT, budgets permitting. I just wanted to know as early as possible, I had a friend who's​ son had Edwards syndrome so I always knew I'd want to know as early as feasibly possible in case I decided to TMFR. I paid privately for the NIPT and had my scan and NT at 12+4 on the NHS.

GingerHanna Sun 23-Apr-17 06:04:03

I am going straight for a NIPT and not doing a combined. However, I am in the Netherlands so it is much more common and not so expensive.

I have my next scan at 12+4 and they will take the bloods for the test then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now