Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough vaccine

(5 Posts)
theheatherjane1 Sat 22-Apr-17 01:37:27

Hi there

Im 31 weeks today, my surgery are unable to give me an appointment for the jab until I'm 34 weeks, and I believe you're meant to have it before 32.
I've tried calling a couple of walk in centres but you need to be registered. I'm fresh out of ideas.
Can I have the jab late? Will the baby still be protected?

caroldecker Sat 22-Apr-17 01:49:53

NHS direct says that you can have it any time up until labour, but it takes 2 weeks to get into your system, so better before 32 weeks. It will still protect you, which will help the baby.
Private clinics will do it for about £90.
Are you sure about the surgery - talk to the practice manager rather than the receptionist as they may be able to expidite.

SashaSays Sat 22-Apr-17 01:56:06

I had mine at 34 weeks and my daughter was born at 37.5 weeks. The nurse who done it told me she'd be protected.

LumpySpaceCow Sat 22-Apr-17 06:32:44

Breastfeeding will also pass on antibodies if by any chance you give birth less than two weeks after.

theheatherjane1 Sat 22-Apr-17 07:04:37

That's great. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now