Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Horrible Vaginal Varicose Veins

(9 Posts)
vainofmylife Fri 21-Apr-17 22:56:38

Anyone one else have these and how do you cope?

I had one in my first pregnancy which caused me slight discomfort, but I'm 33wks gone with DC2 and my nether regions look like they have been stung by a hundred bees sad. One side is particularly bad with very prominent varicose veins. I'm really struggling to stand comfortably for more than 10mins, but unfortunately I am required to stand a lot of the day with my job (only 3 days a week thankfully) although they are very good at letting me sit when I need to.

Anything I can do to help? I've just had a nice hot bath and am currently lying down with my legs raised slightly on a pillow (midwife recommendation) but as soon as I stand up that horrible heavy, throbbing sensation comes back.

I can only imagine it'll get worse over the next 7 weeks...

NC4T Fri 21-Apr-17 22:59:46

You need pressure on them. Try two maternity pads (in knickers obv).

On the bright side, they should go pretty much immediately after delivery!

Pearlmum1 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:11:17

I had this too and they went down considerably. The only time they bother me now is at my time of the month. Wear support tights throughout the rest of your pregnancy, also can I have been given a cream by the doctor which helps. I found they felt like they were on fire so i used to put an ice pack wrapped in a hand towel there.

Teabagtits Fri 21-Apr-17 23:21:40

Make a condom ice pole. Let swelling go down by erm using it

mamarach26 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:25:04

SO glad I found this thread!
I'm 25 weeks and got two of the beauties throbbing away. Standing is so uncomfortable and I'm sure my DP thinks I'm exaggerating when I say sex is off the cards. The midwives are gonna be horrified blush

mamarach26 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:25:38

SO glad I found this thread!
I'm 25 weeks and got two of the beauties throbbing away. Standing is so uncomfortable and I'm sure my DP thinks I'm exaggerating when I say sex is off the cards. The midwives are gonna be horrified blush

vainofmylife Sat 22-Apr-17 08:03:20

I'm so glad I'm not on my own!

I've been looking at compression tights but they are bloody pricey per pair and it's also getting out of the season for tights.

Also so a support belt/pants thing (think called v2) specifically for this problem but they are over £50 each and I really don't think I can afford that just now.

I feel fine this morning, but of course as the day goes on they'll get worse. Doesn't help that DH is working away at the moment so I'm running around after he 2 year old and taking the dog or 3x a day too.

Woe is me!

hopsalong Sat 22-Apr-17 08:15:45

I have these in second pregnancy too (only very mildly in first). They're absolutely vile. Have only been able to bear once to have a good look with a hand mirror and left side looks like a shrivelled bunch of black grapes. But the worst part as you say is the pelvic aching and pressure (I can sometimes barely stand but find it embarrassing to explain why I have to sit down).

Only comfort I can offer is that they don't seem to have got any worse since about 35 weeks (now 38) and in fact may be a little better. I think as head starts to engage the pressure on them might be less. I also had a weird few days at 35 weeks where baby turned into a breech position and they got massively better! So I am hopeful that they will recede after birth.

Support knickers do seem to help a bit but I can't find any that are big enough around the bump and tight enough around the thighs/legs. But my bump is outsize now!

littleshoutymouse Sun 23-Apr-17 21:36:08

I've got a huge on one side which popped out at 24ish weeks (now 38 - be reassured that it hasn't got much worse, and I've learnt to live with it. It also hasn't, as I worriedly asked my consultant, exploded) I cried when I saw it in the mirror! I keep being told that they go after birth though so I'm clinging on to that.

My go-to home remedy has been to roll up a flannel into a sausage and basically just lie it in your pants like you would a santinary towel. Feels and probably looks like you are wearing a prosthetic penis, but it seems to push the ugly swollen bastards back in and stops the horrible stingy pressure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now