Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anti-D knowledge anyone?

(11 Posts)
MsRose31 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:04:44

My blood group is O- and I'm pregnant again after having a miscarriage (at 8 weeks). I already have a child whose birth was normal except I had a retained placenta which needed to be removed manually.

It's only since the miscarriage that I've done research and found out that procedures such as manual removal of the placenta require you to have a higher dose of Anti-D. I have no idea what dose they gave me but it sent me mad thinking that they didn't give me enough and that this caused the miscarriage. I've been told by a doctor that it's not possible for Anti-D to have caused a miscarriage so early on and that it was probably chromosomal abnormalities. I accepted this.

However, now that I'm pregnant again I'm terrified of my body rejecting this baby. Is it possible to have a precautionary dose of Anti-D now? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

arbrighton Fri 21-Apr-17 15:09:53

Baby not at risk from Antibodies until much later on in pregnancy and they routinely test Rh- women to check for the antibodies and then monitor

AntiD early on won't help

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Rhesus-disease/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

number1wang Fri 21-Apr-17 15:19:17

What arbrighton said. And you won't have been given the wrong dose of anti-D (just make sure you definitely got a dose though, at the time of evacuation of the retained placenta - that's the important thing) and it absolutely didn't cause your miscarriage. Congratulations and good luck.

harleysmammy Fri 21-Apr-17 15:22:12

They won't just give you anti d, not unless you have a bleed after 12 weeks or bump your belly. I'm negative and have had anti d almost every week and I'm 38 weeks now, but that's just because I've bled a lot. The anti d won't have done anything at all. You'll be routinely checked and given anti d at 29 weeks if you need it but they don't just give it out unless it's needed or at 29 weeks.

MsRose31 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:22:08

Thanks for your replies. They didn't give me any at the time of the placenta removal, just the next day when they round out that my baby's blood group was positive. I guess it's out of my control then. I'm just having a right mare thinking the same is going to happen to this one sad

NC4T Fri 21-Apr-17 16:31:51

What they did was fine. They take blood from you and baby (cord) and send it to the lab. This tells you whether baby is rh positive and therefore whether you need the anti d and if you do, how much blood has crossed into your blood and so therefore what dose you need. You then need to have it within 72 hours which you did.

Babies in utero cant receive antibodies from you until the placenta is fully functional, so antibody issue cannot have caused your miscarriage.

You can have a blood test to see if you gave the anti d antibodies (very unlikely) if you want. May set your mind at rest.

Good luck xc

MsRose31 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:36:51

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You have all helped to put my mind at rest about the cause of the miscarriage. Maybe it's hormones making me feel negative about this one. I just need to get to the first scan before I can relax!

arbrighton Fri 21-Apr-17 17:08:00

Next day is fine- as NC4T says they checked your baby's blood type first.

Assuming my blood tests from today when I had my anti-D don't show any antibodies, that's it for me now until after baby is born, where they test blood type and give me more Anti-D if baby s Rh+

Just hoping for no calls/ letters next week saying they've found antibodies

arbrighton Fri 21-Apr-17 17:09:30

And you will have the blood test anyway this pregnancy since you've already been identified as rh- and have previously needed anti D, having had a Rh+ baby

But not until 28 weeks

MsRose31 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:55:54

Okay, thank you! I wish you all the best with your results and hope you have a great rest of your pregnancy smile

arbrighton Fri 21-Apr-17 18:26:40

And to you, it must be a worrying time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now