Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hip, pelvic and lower abdominal pain - how do you know what's normal??

(11 Posts)
Jars11 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:24:19

Hey all, so i know how 'normal' the aches and pains in your hips, pelvis and tummy are, but being pregnant with my first and not having mummy friends means i constantly find myself wondering is this normal, should i worry? I'm 19 weeks now and for the last month i literally cannot sleep properly because when i lay down my hips and pelvis ache so much they feel bruised. I turn over from side to side like every 10 minutes when the pain is too bad. I also get a tight belly and pain lower down near the bottom of my belly and top of my pelvis very often, when walking or standing particularly but also without prompt. Sometimes the ache is so intense it wraps around my lower back and i start limping when walking. When i've asked my midwife about all these aches, she always says unless you are bleeding or feeling faint, not to worry. Is this right? That it can't be very serious if all it is is aches and pains? Would really appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

Obsidian77 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:31:39

It sound like Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP).
Unfortunately it's quite common. There's a lot of info on Mumsnet and other websites like the NHS one which might put your mind at rest.
If you are really uncertain can you ask to see another midwife for a second opinion, or make an appointment with your GP?
Keep reaching out through Mumsnet, it can help (if only a little) to know that others are in the sane situation. brew

PowerofThree Thu 20-Apr-17 23:36:32

Sounds like PGP to me too. Yes, it's common but that doesn't mean you just have to live with it (which seems to be what your midwife is implying) especially as it likely to get worse as the pregnancy progresses. Mine went from having been liveable to unbeatable within a week. Ask your GP for a physio referral now - or find a private physio if you can afford it/prefer that route - as if you get on top of it with exercises early on you can stop it getting worse or even improve it.

Jars11 Fri 21-Apr-17 07:53:41

Thanks so much for the advice, i think i may have to see my gp and ask for physio referral then, i'm thinking if it's this bad now it can only get worse. So the lower ab pain that happens mostly when walking/standing is also from pgp?

SelfObsessionHoney Fri 21-Apr-17 07:59:10

My midwife referred me, its quicker than getting it done by the GP, give your midwives office a phone call and ask them to do the referral. I've got a pelvic support band and excersizes to do and it's really helping, I'm also seeing her again to go through birthing positions.

Daytona79 Fri 21-Apr-17 08:08:10

PGP and yeah it can get really painful to the point some end up on crutches or in a wheelchair

You have my sympathies it's a terrible thing and gets worse generally with each pregnancy you have. I'm 8 months postpartum with my 2nd baby and still very sore from it

MrsJW15 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:13:23

That definitely sounds like PGP. I rang my midwives to tell them and they referred me to physio. Definitely worth seeing if yours will. Also lots of tips online in terms of dos and don'ts, and a maternity belt may help as well.

Jars11 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:26:05

I contacted my midwife and she just said it's a long wait and i have to pay, that's it. I'll have to hope the gp is more helpful sad

PowerofThree Fri 21-Apr-17 10:44:46

She's not very helpful is she... there are definitely NHS physio services for this. They may be in short supply in your area hence the long wait but is surely more reason to do the referral now! (For reference I did go private and it cost £60 for an initial assessment and £50 for a follow up. I know that's not affordable for everyone but in case it was a route you ended up wanting to consider).

In the meantime have a Google and search back through mumsnet for general tips. Things like:
- swivel in and out of the car/bed with knees together rather than lead with one leg (plastic bag on car seat helps with the swivel)
- do pelvic floor exercises - clench and hold (trying to get up to holding for 10sec)
- get up and move around every 30min or so to 'reset' your posture rather than sitting in one position for hours
- don't over stretch yourself with being on your feet (can be difficult depending on your job!)
- sleep with a pillow between your knees, put extra padding ie: a duvet under your sheet.
- when you turn over in bed use your hands and feet to help you rather than your stomach muscles and go in stages side to briefly on your back to other side not one fast roll.
- try gentle swimming as a way to keep moving at low impact
- maybe look for pregnancy pilates classes as they will strengthen the core muscles but make sure they know what pain you have.

Lower ab pain may also just be ligaments moving and stretching but with the rest still sounds like PGP

Jars11 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:54:29

Thanks so much for the support, i've read a load of tips on this all morning, a lot of which i'm already actually doing, like sleeping with pillow support, pelvic floor exercises and prenatal yoga. I'll see if the gp can refer me and if not, i'll have to go privately, i think it's important and well worth it, i can't imagine how hard it will be if it continues to get worse. Thanks a lot honestly helps so much.

Obsidian77 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:52:06

Best wishes op flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now