Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Asda Maternity Clothing

(12 Posts)
mcbtiffany Thu 20-Apr-17 18:48:07

I'm 5 months pregnant and recently celebrated my 29th birthday. My 2 colleagues were lovely and offered me a £30 gift card from ASDA to get myself some maternity clothes as my bump is starting to really show. I was stunned when I found out in going into a couple of Asda superstores and ASDA living that maternity clothes are no longer sold in store but online only. As much as I was quite disappointed at the idea of having to purchase goods online to be delivered in store and then get myself to the store, I resigned myself to that fact. I was ready for purchasing clothes online and suddenly learnt that ASDA gift cards can only be used in store.
I contacted ASDA who took over a week to respond and was basically told that I should have read the terms before purchasing the card (My complaint had clearly stated it was a gift... I didn't purchase it myself!) and that maternity clothes are only available online. So I was basically sent packaging. I sent a further complaint highlighting the fact that they had made this situation impossible and was again sent packaging with a very vague apology of "computer says no", we therefore can't help you.
Surely I am not the only mum to be to have been given a gift card for the purpose of shopping for maternity clothes and I now find myself stuck!!
I am absolutely fuming at the lack of customer service and was wondering if any other expectant mums had also encountered problems with ASDA recently - maternity clothing or otherwise.

Marie

Scaredycat2016 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:02:12

That's unbelievable that you can't use an asda gift card online! Try publicly posting a complaint on their Facebook wall, you might get somewhere then x

leighdinglady Thu 20-Apr-17 19:28:10

Can you buy something in store for £30 and immediately return it for a cash refund to use later online?

NinaMarieP Thu 20-Apr-17 19:35:49

From retail experience no store would issue a cash refund with a receipt from a gift card purchase. It is almost always refunded using the original payment method. Obviously there will be a few exceptions to the rule but would take exceptions circumstances.

NinaMarieP Thu 20-Apr-17 19:38:20

*exceptional circumstances.

I'm assuming it isn't possible for an order to be placed in-store for maternity wear?

I think the only option then is to use the gift card for something else (groceries etc) and spend your own money on Asda online that way you have honoured the gifters intentions and not lost out on any money.

WindyScales Thu 20-Apr-17 19:43:41

Oh dear, that is very poor customer service.
I had exactly the same with a gift card at WHSmith, which I couldn't use online. When I went into the store to ask if I could order something in store and pay using the card, they said no. I was initially told I couldn't exchange for a card which you can use online. Luckily the manager stepped in and offered to do the exchange.
You would imagine Asda could do the same. They aren't famed for good customer service unfortunately.

pengymum Thu 20-Apr-17 20:01:20

Just use the gift card to pay for your food shopping and spend the cash online. Simples!
It's not the end of the world and no need to go round the houses! 😏

mcbtiffany Thu 20-Apr-17 20:15:53

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't do my food shop at ASDA and I don't have the benefit of having extra cash lying around in my account to purchase clothes online confused Its simply a matter of principle especially when it doesn't say anywhere on the gift card that it is for use in store only smile

MissT2095 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:50:33

I had the same issue yesterday. I was given a gift card by my DM to buy myself some baby stuff we need for our pending arrival.

I found the perfect baby monitor online in the baby event they are currently having but couldn't use the gift card online. I went to our local Asda to see if I could order it at the customer service desk as they didn't have it in store. I queued for 25 minutes behind a woman who had returned and kept going to swap a bloody red pepper!! Only to be told "not that I know of" when I asked if they could order it for me. Frustrating isn't the word!!!

FanaticalFox Thu 20-Apr-17 20:54:06

Buy other baby stuff in asda that you'll need and buy mat clothes elsewhere. You'll have spent both lots of money either way so no loss to you.

haveacupoftea Fri 21-Apr-17 12:56:58

Yep ^ it's a shame but I'd spend the £30 on nappies, vests and sleepsuits if I were you.

grainmum Fri 21-Apr-17 13:19:38

Could you buy maternity stuff online then "return" in store immediately you collect it, just to buy straight away with gift card again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now