Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Travel insurance while pregnant

(13 Posts)
FeedMyFaceWithBattenberg Thu 20-Apr-17 15:25:08

Hello everyone!

I am pregnant, but before we found this out we booked our honeymoon to Florida for two weeks in September. I should be just okay to fly.
Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company for pregnancy?
Thank you smile

Sparklyuggs Thu 20-Apr-17 15:41:34

Ravenhall are good and cover up to 36 weeks. I have a preexisting condition they don't cover so I use staysure who cover to 28 weeks. I simply couldn't get insurance to the States past 28 weeks which also covered my other condition.

FeedMyFaceWithBattenberg Thu 20-Apr-17 15:49:56

I have epilepsy too...I presume ravenhall won't cover that? But I guess like you I could have two policies!

arbrighton Thu 20-Apr-17 15:55:34

You can't not declare the epilepsy though. That would probably constitute insurance fraud and invalidate the policy

Where in Florida are you going? As I understand it, there is still active Zika virus in some areas of the state.

FeedMyFaceWithBattenberg Thu 20-Apr-17 16:26:27

I'm obviously going to declare it.
But it's not on their list of pre existing conditions.
We're going to Orlando, there's no Zika there.

Sparklyuggs Thu 20-Apr-17 16:29:24

Sorry I have one policy with Staysure which covers both Pregnancy and my heart condition. How pregnant will you be when you go? The US has great healthcare but it can cost £100,000 for a premature birth when you include neonatal care so going without insurance is very risky. Ravenhall may cover epilepsy though so worth checking with them.

Obsidian77 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:33:18

What do you mean by 'just ok' to fly? How many weeks will you be?

AmberLin Thu 20-Apr-17 16:38:11

do ravenhall cover for premature birth in the states then>? I am due to fly to Houston when i am 31 weeks, back at 32 but had decided against going incase the baby makes an early arrival. Will they cover all the care needed for a premature baby?

FeedMyFaceWithBattenberg Thu 20-Apr-17 17:11:00

I certainly won't go without insurance.
I will be 29 weeks when we go. 31 weeks when we return.

DeliciouslyHella Thu 20-Apr-17 18:47:22

Just to chime in here... The whole state of Florida is considered 'moderate risk' and the FCO recommends pregnant women should consider postponing non-essential travel. Obviously, it's down to personal choice.

We were due to go 2 weeks ago, but chose to cancel as I am pregnant. We got a full refund from BA.

DeliciouslyHella Thu 20-Apr-17 18:47:50

Moderate risk for zika, I mean!

arbrighton Thu 20-Apr-17 19:36:37

And i managed to put myself at risk by going to singapore then falling pregnant on that same trip.

I am trying not to worry, but the extra monitoring in itself is a pain in the bum, never mind the risk, however small, that our baby is going to have problems.

OhSoCheekyChick Thu 20-Apr-17 19:42:25

Congrats on the bump!!

Have you double checked US immigration policy on allowing us pregnant gals in with less than 6 months to go? They can be particularly antsy and concerned that you're going to stay and give birth during your 6 months visitors visa....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now